Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

CD Player
Nice to see someone picked this up and ran with it. Good luck.

Regards,
Kent
(05-14-2021, 07:53 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Nice to see someone picked this up and ran with it. Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks, Kent (@TheOldPresbyope)

After a first version, I just commit a completely different one. This time most of the job is done using a Python script.
Today as in your version :

- When CD is inserted, queue is cleared, and tracks are added.

But these are now working too:

- Once tracks are added the queue is played.
 - Metadata (artist, track titles...) are got from cdtext info and or musicbrainz when available.
 - The metadata are added as tag to the MPD server and consequently well updated in the IU.
 - A cache of metadata is managed, to go faster at the next insertion of the CD.

And these are only almost working unfortunately:

- The cover image is downloaded from musicbrainz
 - I tried several hacks to get the image considered. Currently, I kept one in `www/inc/playerlib.php`.

The hack is far to be perfect, I should have missed something. The UI refresh the cover only if I manually reload it in my browser. I'm sure that there is a nicer way to do it, but not yet found.

All the best, and happy if you have some ideas.

PS To @Tim Curtis : Thank you for moOde audio. I saw in another thread that you indicated : "There are no plans to integrate CD playback or ripping in moOde because there are already super nice, well-supported CD ripping utilities". I agree with you for ripping, but now that you have integrated superb equalizers in moOde, and that I have configured the parametric equalizer for correcting the main defaults of my music room, I'm happy to be able to play my CD through moOde without having to rip them, I think just because I like true discs ;-). Cheers
Supporting all the possible hardware CD players and their issues is not in our project space especially since ripping CD's is so easy.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you @Zafacs  for advancing the 'CD-Player' operation.

It installed fine and plays as expected using an old HP DVD drive.
Track info is good.
Cover images show where available and otherwise the default placeholder. Running 'Refresh' from the MoOde Menu picks up the images.

Experiencing a few dropouts (Sox is not enabled) but I feel this may be down to the drive....I will try another.

One thing that may need changing...just a typo...  When a cd is not found from the web database it plays but the Text is "Unkown"   should be "Unknown"

Looking forward to future versions Smile

Cheers,
Bob
----------
bob
(05-17-2021, 02:04 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Thank you @Zafacs  for advancing the 'CD-Player' operation.

It installed fine and plays as expected using an old HP DVD drive.
Track info is good.
Cover images show where available and otherwise the default placeholder. Running 'Refresh' from the MoOde Menu picks up the images.

Experiencing a few dropouts  (Sox is not enabled) but I feel this may be down to the drive....I will try another.

One thing that may need changing...just a typo...  When a cd is not found from the web database it plays but the Text is "Unkown"   should be "Unknown"

Looking forward to future versions Smile

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the spelling mistake, the sad effect of copy/paste, you make the mistake once, and it multiplies. I've pushed a corrected version. 
I have like you some dropouts, I guess it's related to my very cheap DVD player, bought for 16€. I need to test the effect of Sox on the buffering forcing. Maybe a setting in the MPD configuration can also solve the problem. I haven't checked yet but I ordered a new less cheap drive (an ASUS for 40€), mine is way too noisy.
Cheers,

Eric
(05-17-2021, 01:37 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Supporting all the possible hardware CD players and their issues is not in our project space especially since ripping CD's is so easy.

Thank you for your answer. A project can't go in all directions and unlike me, you have a global vision on it and therefore on the priorities. To finish on my position, without really measuring the difficulties related to the material aspects of the readers, yes ripping is easy, like scanning a book in PDF (Ok, it's a bit more complex) but would you burn all your books in your library for this reason. If you think so, then I agree with your reasoning.

Cheers

Eric
(05-17-2021, 05:48 AM)Zafacs Wrote: Hi Bob,

Sorry for the spelling mistake, the sad effect of copy/paste, you make the mistake once, and it multiplies. I've pushed a corrected version. 
I have like you some dropouts, I guess it's related to my very cheap DVD player, bought for 16€. I need to test the effect of Sox on the buffering forcing. Maybe a setting in the MPD configuration can also solve the problem. I haven't checked yet but I ordered a new less cheap drive (an ASUS for 40€), mine is way too noisy.
Cheers,

Eric
Hi Eric,
No probs with the spelling...just reporting Smile 

I have tried changing buffers, cache to ram, and output buffer, but to no avail.

Interestingly.... some CDs play fine and others have dropouts... those that play fine all have retrieved artwork... those that don't do not..... do you have the same ?
I have replayed a CD with dropouts and they happen at the same point each time...though the CD is clean and works well on other players...

The cover database only picks up about one in 6 CDs... Perhaps include other sites ?  (Beets seems to have that covered Cool )

Bob
----------
bob
(05-17-2021, 05:57 AM)Zafacs Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 01:37 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Supporting all the possible hardware CD players and their issues is not in our project space especially since ripping CD's is so easy.

Thank you for your answer. A project can't go in all directions and unlike me, you have a global vision on it and therefore on the priorities. To finish on my position, without really measuring the difficulties related to the material aspects of the readers, yes ripping is easy, like scanning a book in PDF (Ok, it's a bit more complex) but would you burn all your books in your library for this reason. If you think so, then I agree with your reasoning.

Cheers

Eric

If reading by PDF were easier, offered important enhancements like metadata, cover art, search, sort, group, portability, etc and ripping a book was super easy then yes I'd rip all the books that I thought were worth ripping.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-17-2021, 07:38 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Eric,
No probs with the spelling...just reporting Smile 

I have tried changing buffers, cache to ram, and output buffer, but to no avail.

Interestingly.... some CDs play fine and others have dropouts... those that play fine all have retrieved artwork... those that don't do not..... do you have the same ?
I have replayed a CD with dropouts and they happen at the same point each time...though the CD is clean and works well on other players...

The cover database only picks up about one in 6 CDs... Perhaps include other sites ?  (Beets seems to have that covered Cool )

Bob

I also have the same problem with some CDs, but it's not related to whether they have a cover art or not, and in fact I don't understand how it could be related. I would say that my most problematic CDs are the older ones. I suppose that although they seem OK and work with conventional CD players, our cheap modern DVD players are more sensitive than high quality music CD players. I'll see how my new, more expensive USB DVD player performs when I get it. 

As you can see from his replies, Tim is not interested in integrating CD players into moOde audio, so I will continue to work on that for myself, as I prefer books to PDFs even though I have a Qobuz HiRes subscription. I must be a bit too old-fashioned, but I like to talk to the artists at the end of a concert and buy their CDs, and I like to open their boxes back home to listen to them while looking at the cover and reading the booklet. 
So, to make it easier to talk, I've opened the "issues" section on GitHub, so feel free to fill it in. I will try to be as non-invasive as possible in the moOde code and develop a way to be as easy to install as possible. We'll see how far I'm able to go with this little project and if other people are old-fashioned enough to follow it ;-).

Cheers,

Eric

PS: I don't know Beets, I'll take a look at it and check if the integration is easy or not from python.
Just had the look, seems cool : https://beets.io/, after a deeper look perhaps not so easy to use.
I have also renamed the fork to distinguish it from its original version as only few code as still shared :
The new name of the GitHub repository is : https://github.com/coissac/moOdeCDPlayer
Hi Eric, hi everybody,
I am very happy to know that the Kent's project is having a new life: like you I tried several time to ask for the CD Player functionality on moOde, but with no result.
Anyway I am trying to install your package but I am having problems with the point:

Code:
"sudo pip3 install -U pycdio"

Of course I tried also with a fresh 7.2.1 installation but with no results.
Could you please be so kind to try to help me?
If yes: what details do you need ?
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Francesco