Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Issue with Qobuz / Upnp
Understood, thanks
Hey, I am new to moode and new to the forum. Thanks to Tim for this great project! 

Because using Qobuz and Tidal side by side, I would like to keep gappless playback.

Could this be a solution, to be integrated?

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

I could not find any licence, but it claims to be under GPL.
(11-26-2019, 01:27 PM)sophoheilip Wrote: Hey, I am new to moode and new to the forum. Thanks to Tim for this great project! 

Because using Qobuz and Tidal side by side, I would like to keep gappless playback.

It's already baked into moOde. That's what the UPnP Renderer settings in Audio Config are about.

Gapless playback, however, is a topic in its own right.

Regards,
Kent
(11-26-2019, 02:05 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: It's already baked into moOde. That's what the UPnP Renderer settings in Audio Config are about.

Gapless playback, however, is a topic in its own right.

Regards,
Kent

Checked services on moode to see upmpdcli is already running Rolleyes

Thank you for clarifying.
(10-13-2019, 12:56 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Thanks Kent.

The license does not seem to be compatible with Open Source licensing. For example: 2b and 2e among other restrictions. It apparently has some sort of "licensing management module".

An end-user can certainly install and use it but AFAICT it would be illegal to redistribute it without getting permission (and probably paying a license fee) to the company that licenses this software.

A Qobuz plugin works well under the Logitech Media Server, which is claimed to be opensource.

I wonder how it is possible.
musical regards

y.
(12-31-2019, 01:28 PM)yannig Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 12:56 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Thanks Kent.

The license does not seem to be compatible with Open Source licensing. For example: 2b and 2e among other restrictions. It apparently has some sort of "licensing management module".

An end-user can certainly install and use it but AFAICT it would be illegal to redistribute it without getting permission (and probably paying a license fee) to the company that licenses this software.

A Qobuz plugin works well under the Logitech Media Server, which is claimed to be opensource.

I wonder how it is possible.

Logitech Media Server is proprietary software
Well, the LMS code is on github with a GPL-based license, but when you read the license, this is the first paragraph

Quote:SLIM DEVICES LICENSE NOTICE

Please be aware that not all software distributed by Slim Devices
is licensed under the GPL. If you wish to redistribute any of our
software, please be sure to first read the GPL, and then make sure
that you are only distributing materials which we've explicity 
licensed for such use. Feel free to contact us if you have any
questions, or would like permission to distribute our other non-GPL
programs. Also, be aware that standard copyright rules apply in any
case where no particular license is given. 

More to the point, the Qobuz plugin is a third-party effort by a few people. Their code is also on github---in a separate repo---but has no explicit license statement that I could find so we have no idea of its status. The code is written against Qobuz API documentation which last fall was officially withdrawn from public access. (Incidentally, it's written in Perl, so don't expect easily to review it unless, of course, you're a Perl-monger.)

One of the Qobuz-plugin maintainers has said on the slimdevices forum that he's in direct contact with the Qobuz person who deals with outside developers. I suppose this means they've come to some accommodation about the right to use the Qobuz API. On the other hand, the maintainer of upmpdcli, which is moOde's shim to outside streaming servers, has publicly stated he won't work with the Qobuz terms. 

I'm not the decision maker here, but I don't see us getting into the middle of this.

Regards,
Kent
If there is no license the default copyright laws apply. This means the code can't be redistributed or modified without the copyright holders permission. Github allows unlicensed code to be forked and viewed but thats it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-26-2019, 01:27 PM)sophoheilip Wrote: Hey, I am new to moode and new to the forum. Thanks to Tim for this great project! 

You mention gapless, what's your issue there?
Tidal is certainly gapless for me when playing on moOde via UPnP (e.g. using BubbleUPnP on Android).
(12-31-2019, 06:26 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Well, the LMS code is on github with a GPL-based license, but when you read the license, this is the first paragraph

Quote:SLIM DEVICES LICENSE NOTICE

Please be aware that not all software distributed by Slim Devices
is licensed under the GPL. If you wish to redistribute any of our
software, please be sure to first read the GPL, and then make sure
that you are only distributing materials which we've explicity 
licensed for such use. Feel free to contact us if you have any
questions, or would like permission to distribute our other non-GPL
programs. Also, be aware that standard copyright rules apply in any
case where no particular license is given. 

More to the point, the Qobuz plugin is a third-party effort by a few people. Their code is also on github---in a separate repo---but has no explicit license statement that I could find so we have no idea of its status. The code is written against Qobuz API documentation which last fall was officially withdrawn from public access. (Incidentally, it's written in Perl, so don't expect easily to review it unless, of course, you're a Perl-monger.)

One of the Qobuz-plugin maintainers has said on the slimdevices forum that he's in direct contact with the Qobuz person who deals with outside developers. I suppose this means they've come to some accommodation about the right to use the Qobuz API. On the other hand, the maintainer of upmpdcli, which is moOde's shim to outside streaming servers, has publicly stated he won't work with the Qobuz terms. 

I'm not the decision maker here, but I don't see us getting into the middle of this.

Regards,
Kent

Thank you Kent for your response.

In fact, I do not understand very well all these GNU/Open Source problems...
But what I do know is that I need to be able to use Qobuz with moOde.

I asked Qobuz by private message, (on the fact that it's almost mandatory to pay an additional subscription if you use an opensource renderer).
And I will ask by public message if I don't have a response

Perhaps another idea is to work on an OEM version of moOde...
musical regards

y.