Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

64 bit kernel
Hi

6.3 looking good here so far.

I'm currently running the experimental 64 bit kernel using mpd but also the Roon Bridge and it's been hassle free.  I thought (in the spirit of exploration) I'd try the 64 bit version of the Roon Bridge but it failed during installation claiming it didn't find 64 bit versions of Application Support and ALSA.

I realise that the 64 bit kernel is experimental, and that moode doesn't really support Roon, but is there any way to source the missing versions?

Thanks

Alan
Hi Alan,

Might be a good question for the Roon guys. I'm not sure what "Application Support" means but ALSA is part of the kernel.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim

The actual error message was

Checking to see if RoonBridge can run on this machine

Checking for Binary Compatibility [ FAILED ]
Checking for ALSA Libraries [ FAILED ]

I'll raise it with them.
@alanthebat

So all I know from your OP is that you have moOde 6.3 installed on something and that apparently you selected the 64-bit kernel in moOde config and (I have to guess here) rebooted. What else?

I have no Roon-anything so this is only an intellectual exercise but I just brought up moOde 6.3 on an RPi4B with the 64-bit kernel selected.

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ uname -a
Linux moodelr 4.19.75-v8+ #1270 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 24 18:59:17 BST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

^^^^^^^

I then downloaded the roonbridge installer for armv7hf (obscure notation, but this is correct for the RPi4B), marked it executable and invoked it:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
pi@moodelr:~ $ +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
pi@moodelr:~ $ ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the RoonBridge installer

This installer sets up RoonBridge to run on linux with the following settings:

- RoonBridge will be installed in /opt/RoonBridge
 - RoonBridge's data will be stored in /var/roon/RoonBridge
 - RoonBridge will be configured to run as a system service
 - RoonBridge will run as root

These settings are suitable for turning a dedicated or semi-dedicated device
into an appliance that runs RoonBridge

If you want customize how RoonBridge is installed, see:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want to install RoonBridge on this machine? [Y/n] Y

Downloading RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.aaEnxyxDQ2/RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2

################################################################################################################################################################# 100.0%

Unpacking RoonBridge_linuxarmv7hf.tar.bz2...Done

Checking to see if RoonBridge can run on this machine 

Checking for Binary Compatibility                            [   OK   ]
    Checking for ALSA Libraries                                  [   OK   ]

Copying Files...Done
Failed to stop roonbridge.service: Unit roonbridge.service not loaded.

Installing /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service

Enabling service roonbridge...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/roonbridge.service → /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.
Service Enabled

Starting service roonbridge...
Service Started

All Done! RoonBridge should be running on your machine now.

pi@moodelr:~ $

And, sure enough, it's now running

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ ps aux|grep -i roon
root      2124  0.0  0.0   1932   404 ?        Ss   11:28   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/RoonBridge/start.sh
root      2128  0.0  1.7  87228 34024 ?        Sl   11:28   0:01 RoonBridge --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridge.exe
root      2145  0.2  1.6  87780 31256 ?        Sl   11:28   0:03 RoonBridgeHelper --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridgeHelper.exe
root      2152  0.0  0.0   2228   360 ?        S    11:28   0:00 /opt/RoonBridge/Bridge/processreaper 2145
pi        4532  0.0  0.0   7340   520 pts/0    S+   11:58   0:00 grep --color=auto -i roon

Sooo, what did you do differently?

Regards,
Kent
(10-09-2019, 03:44 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @alanthebat

So all I know from your OP is that you have moOde 6.3 installed on something and that apparently you selected the 64-bit kernel in moOde config and (I have to guess here) rebooted. What else?

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
pi@moodelr:~ $ +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
pi@moodelr:~ $ ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

Sooo, what did you do differently?

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent

Please don't burn a lot of time on this - it was really only for curiosity.

I'mm using a Pi 3B+ with an Allo DigiOne Sig.  The only difference is that I downloaded and ran (or rather didn't run) the roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv8.sh which is the 64 bit version for the ARM platform. the linuxarmv7hf 32 bit version works fine.

Thanks

Alan

Alan
Ah, yes, a classic "ready-fire-aim" response from me. My bad Tongue 

Sadly, Raspbian makes available only 32-bit user-land libraries:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ dpkg --print-architecture
armhf                                            <<hardware FP and 32-bit instructions
pi@moodelr:~ $ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
pi@moodelr:~ $                                   <<-- null response; no other architecture available
Thanks Kent

I guess I'll have to wait for a future release. I'm not sure there would have been any real benefit in the 64 bit version but I was interested to try.

Thanks again.