Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

wifi connection problems
(10-20-2019, 07:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You reported that it briefly connected which suggests some sort of network issue. Maybe try rebooting your Router.

Once moOde successfully configures the wpa_supplicant file, it's Linux that handles the network connection during reboot.

Tried rebooting the router - no joy
(10-21-2019, 08:32 PM)lurkio Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 07:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You reported that it briefly connected which suggests some sort of network issue. Maybe try rebooting your Router.

Once moOde successfully configures the wpa_supplicant file, it's Linux that handles the network connection during reboot.

I recently changed my WiFi passcode to a more complex one (20 characters with special characters included). After doing so, I experienced the same issues as you. So I loaded a SD card with Moode V 5 just to see if the problem was with Version 6. Turns out I could connect with version 5 with that passcode. So I then tried version 6 with a 20 character passcode ( and no special characters) to see if length was the issue. I had no problem logging on with that configuration. So finally I removed the $ and # characters from the original passcode and was able to log on with version 6.3. So it appears to be a special character issue specific to version 6. I know you said that you did not use any special characters in your passcode so this won't help you directly, but maybe someone else can use the info. Sorry.
Ok so I reluctantly downloaded and installed that vastly inferior distribution beginning with "V" 
worked straight away no problems at all

So I can only conclude this is a problem with this release of Moode

is there any way to download previous versions of Moode that I can try instead ? - couldn't find them on the website

Lx
(10-21-2019, 09:47 PM)Geojanitor Wrote:

I recently changed my WiFi passcode to a more complex one (20 characters with special characters included). After doing so, I experienced the same issues as you. So I loaded a SD card with Moode V 5 just to see if the problem was with Version 6. Turns out I could connect with version 5 with that passcode. So I then tried version 6 with a 20 character passcode ( and no special characters) to see if length was the issue. I had no problem logging on with that configuration. So finally I removed the $ and # characters from the original passcode and was able to log on with version 6.3. So it appears to be a special character issue specific to version 6. I know you said that you did not use any special characters in your passcode so this won't help you directly, but maybe someone else can use the info. Sorry.

moOde 6 series converts entered WiFi passwords to WPA/WPA2 pre-shared keys and does not store/use the plaintext passwords like the 5 series.

What I've discovered is that the utility, wpa_passphrase, that preforms the conversion to PSK does not escape characters like $, ! and ` (back quote) and others that cause the command to bomb.

I'm working on some code to eliminate this problem for the upcoming 6.4.0 release (November)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-21-2019, 11:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 09:47 PM)Geojanitor Wrote:

moOde 6 series converts entered WiFi passwords to WPA/WPA2 pre-shared keys and does not store/use the plaintext passwords like the 5 series.

What I've discovered is that the utility, wpa_passphrase, that preforms the conversion to PSK does not escape characters like $, ! and ` (back quote) and others that cause the command to bomb.

I'm working on some code to eliminate this problem for the upcoming 6.4.0 release (November)

My password only contains lowercase and numbers, it is 15 characters long though - is it possible that the length is also a factor ?
Lx
It so happens that my password is also lowercase and numbers 15 characters. No problems with 6.3.
Minimum length is 8 chars, max is 63.
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks to @TheOldPresbyope it turns out that wpa_passphrase does in fact accept all special characters in the passphrase if its fed via stdin :-)

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ cat ./pwd.txt
abcd!@#$%^&*()_-+={}[]:;"'~`?/<>,.ef  gh """'''

pi@rp3:~ $ sudo wpa_passphrase "MYSSID" < ./pwd.txt
# reading passphrase from stdin
network={
        ssid="MYSSID"
        #psk="abcd!@#$%^&*()_-+={}[]:;"'~`?/<>,.ef  gh """'''"
        psk=7221495adc33f8c1a382138480a867f1b542a1e395a5ed83504748e39caab9ee
}

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
@lurkio

Quote:My password only contains lowercase and numbers

I assume this means it does not include spaces.

By any chance does it include letters with accent marks (aka diacriticals) such as acute (é), grave (è), circumflex (â, î or ô), tilde (ñ), umlaut and dieresis (ü or ï)?

Tim's change to store PSKs instead of plaintext passwords/passphrases is a good one. I don't know that any other player has implemented this. It's a pity using the Linux utility wpa_passphrase in a script made it more difficult than it should have been but I think he's got a solution in hand. Still, I'm curious to know what in your password/passphrase is causing the hiccup so we can be sure we have accounted for it.

Regards,
Kent
(10-22-2019, 01:25 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @lurkio

Quote:My password only contains lowercase and numbers

I assume this means it does not include spaces.

By any chance does it include letters with accent marks (aka diacriticals) such as acute (é), grave (è), circumflex (â, î or ô), tilde (ñ), umlaut and dieresis (ü or ï)?

Tim's change to store PSKs instead of plaintext passwords/passphrases is a good one. I don't know that any other player has implemented this. It's a pity using the Linux utility wpa_passphrase in a script made it more difficult than it should have been but I think he's got a solution in hand. Still, I'm curious to know what in your password/passphrase is causing the hiccup so we can be sure we have accounted for it.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent - no spaces just lowercase and numbers, for example aaapassword9
I had a thought that maybe it is to do with keyboards or text formatting, autocorrect or even password manager
I'm in France using a mac and english qwerty keyboard and haven't had problems before but it would be good to be able to see the results of your typing.
There is a funny behavior where safari suggests a password on the network configuration page but seems to get confused with the access point password field below it, however we have checked that is is registering and providing a key so I don't think it can be that

I normally run ethernet, but for this project I need wifi - did anyone report wifi problems in earlier Moode 6xx ? & can i download an earlier version anywhere ?
Lx