Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi 64-bit kernel
Rolleyes

I am using Roon which manages my library and the excellent metadata. Been very happy with Moode and continue to explore.
(01-27-2021, 09:10 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 12:14 PM)philrandal Wrote: I was hoping the magical-ears folk on here would chime in and say how extra-wonderful (or not) moode sounds with the 64-bit kernel.

My Magical ears tell me that 32 bit sounds better because the 64bit often causes odd things to stop working such as library scans and so on.  This results in a sonic artifact that I call "no music" and audio theory clearly states that "no music" is always worse than "some music".
Smile

Well in my experience there is some music that's definitely a lot worse than "no music". Smile
(01-27-2021, 06:13 PM)jonners Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 09:10 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 12:14 PM)philrandal Wrote: I was hoping the magical-ears folk on here would chime in and say how extra-wonderful (or not) moode sounds with the 64-bit kernel.

My Magical ears tell me that 32 bit sounds better because the 64bit often causes odd things to stop working such as library scans and so on.  This results in a sonic artifact that I call "no music" and audio theory clearly states that "no music" is always worse than "some music".
Smile

Well in my experience there is some music that's definitely a lot worse than "no music". Smile

And then there's John Cage's 4'33" which is both silence and, apparently, music, in three movements. It's the only music I'm aware of that can be played on any instrument without transcription and which AFAICT would sound just as good with the 32-bit kernel as with the 64-bit kernel.

I've always wondered if the audience would hiss if the musician(s) accidentally stood up for bows after 4'32".

Regards,
Kent
(01-27-2021, 06:13 PM)jonners Wrote: Well in my experience there is some music that's definitely a lot worse than "no music". Smile
I stand corrected, "no music" is always worse than "some music" unless the "some music" is Elvis Smile

(01-27-2021, 08:32 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: And then there's John Cage's 4'33" which is both silence and, apparently, music, in three movements. It's the only music I'm aware of that can be played on any instrument without transcription and which AFAICT would sound just as good with the 32-bit kernel as with the 64-bit kernel.
There is an audiophile out there somewhere who claims his oxygen free speaker cables give a warmer sound to the silence if they are connected inline with the local magnetic field.

(01-27-2021, 08:32 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I've always wondered if the audience would hiss if the musician(s) accidentally stood up for bows after 4'32".
Perhaps they had taken the artistic decision to play at a slightly elevated tempo to bring out the inherent edginess in the piece?

Now having thoroughly hijacked this thread with nonsense, I shall shut up, I promise.

Sorry.
----------------
Robert
The option (right now) is not for Raspberry Pi 4.

You can't choose what kernel you want on the RPi 4, you can only install 32-bit. I have a spare Raspberry Pi 3B; but I don't want use that because I will have a USB 3.0 drive and USB DAC connected while also using wi-fi for web access.
It's cos the specific model codes for the new 4GB and 8GB 4's are not coded into moOde yet. We are typically one minor release behind any new models released by the Pi Foundation. The upcoming 7.1.0 release will support the new models.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-29-2021, 11:40 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's cos the specific model codes for the new 4GB and 8GB 4's are not coded into moOde yet. We are typically one minor release behind any new models released by the Pi Foundation. The upcoming 7.1.0 release will support the new models.

64bit Raspi OS is out. When is moode going to adopt it? Thanks!
At some point in moOde 8 series, possibly in the initial release but thats TBD.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub