Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

SoX resampling setting options
I play audio files in FLAC format as a priority. What are the recommendations for MPD (Sox resampling) settings? Thanks for the tutorials and comments. I am currently using the 24bit / 192kHz setting. It is correct ?
I don't think there is a universal consensus. I for one prefer to leave resampling off and feed the DAC bit-perfect stream. I have read people that are resampling to as high as what the DAC can handle or the DACs internal upsampling rate to ease its load.

Then there is the quality settings. I have read reports of normal and high values working best, while others prefer the high quality settings.

What does you hearing tests tell you? Which do you prefer?
Exactly as @RafaPolit said.
It all depends on what DAC you using and what your ears tels you.
And also keep in mind that upsampling is put an extra demand on the CPU and every extra computerized process have some errors which need corrections. So this may actually lover the audible quality of the output sound you hear.

So the best is you try and set which ever you prefer
<marquee behavior="alternate" scrolldelay=150
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

</marquee>
(05-19-2018, 05:08 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: And also keep in mind that upsampling is put an extra demand on the CPU and every extra computerized process have some errors which need corrections. So this may actually lover the audible quality of the output sound you hear.

So the best is you try and set which ever you prefer

I fully agree! One test you can run is using SoX to upsample via command line to create a new file that matches the rate that you have set MPD/SoX to use. I believe the playback from the external upsampling is ever so slightly better, not enough to make me batch-create a whole new library that will possibly go out of date when I next change  DACs. The drop in CPU usage is not small.

Skip
I have a question to ask obout the SoX resampling options.
What format, 32-bit signed integer or 32-bit floating point, will SoX encode if I set the "Bit depth"=32?

Thanks
(01-27-2022, 01:42 PM)Streamer Wrote: I have a question to ask obout the SoX resampling options.
What format, 32-bit signed integer or 32-bit floating point, will SoX encode if I set the "Bit depth"=32?

Thanks

It would be signed integer format.
https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/use...dio-format
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-27-2022, 07:40 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 01:42 PM)Streamer Wrote: I have a question to ask obout the SoX resampling options.

Thanks

It would be signed integer format.
https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/use...dio-format
Thank you for the info, Tim!
I have used moOde with 4 dacs and found that resampling with SoX helped with three of them. The one with which SoX resampling made no improvement much of the time and was detrimental fairly often is a Soekris DAC1321. When you try SOX try medium quality. It's counterintuitive, but John Swenson argues that the measurement that is optimised with the higher quality settings suggests lower distortion but does not sound better. I have tried medium and the higher quality SoX settings every year or so, and always returned to 'medium' quality.
Hi all,

I realize, that DSD signals always are converted and resampled to PCM if SoX resampling is enabled although the DSD support format is set to "Native DSD" and the audio device supports native DSD.
Is it possible to tell SoX to let DSD signals untouched?

Thanks!
Automatically turning SoX On/Off depending on whether the format thats about to be played is PCM or DSD would prolly need to be done within MPD itself. That would be a question to ask the MPD maintainer.
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub