Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MPD error. HELP
Hello everyone, I am a complete noob when it comes to linux software. I have followed the directions to connect my streamer to the ALLO USBridge without success. Hear is what I would like to accomplish and my hardware.

1. I have the latest Foobar2k loaded with all my files/disks ripped to .wav .
2. Play/control those files from Foobar2k  to the Allo USB with Moode Audio OS. 
3. Send the information to the streamer (Berkeley Alpha USB) then to the TRI Vista21 DAC.

There is only SPDIF connection to the DAC via optical or coaxial. Hence to need to use the Berkeley USB from the PC to AlloUSB.

The Berkeley Alpha USB works fine with Windows and the Thesycon driver thru Foobar2k.

Hear is the problem.

Following the directions from Moode, the Berkely Alpha USB is not recognized. I can get the test audio to play, but when I try to play music from Foobar I get a error message:

MPD error, failed to open "Alsa default" Error opening ALSA device"hw:1.0";snd_pcm_hw_params()failed. Protocal error.

Can someone help me solve the error message.

Thanks,

Mark
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]                                      
 Subdevices: 7/7                                                                                      
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                                            
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1                                                                            
 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                                                            
 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                                                            
 Subdevice #4: subdevice #4                                                                            
 Subdevice #5: subdevice #5                                                                            
 Subdevice #6: subdevice #6                                                                            
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]                        
 Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                      
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]                      
card 1: Output [Alpha USB Digital Output], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]                              
Clarify what the statement below means because if the Stereo Test file plays then your USB device thats connected to the SIG was successfully recognized and automatically configured by Linux.

Code:
"I can get the test audio to play, but when I try to play music from Foobar I get a error message:"
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-05-2020, 04:54 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Clarify what the statement below means because if the Stereo Test file plays then your USB device thats connected to the SIG was successfully recognized and automatically configured by Linux.

Code:
"I can get the test audio to play, but when I try to play music from Foobar I get a error message:"

Tim,

Yes, the Koz stereo test file plays thru the Alpha USB to the DAC. I get sound. When I play a song from Foobar, I see the Foobar 2000 stream show up on the web page for Moode. Then I get the MPD fault as described trying to play the stream.

MPD error
Failed to open "ALSA default" [alsa]; Error opening ALSA device "hw:1,0"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Protocol error

Once the above pops up the I cannot get the Koz test file to play, and I get the same error message as above. Then I have to reboot Moode to get the Koz test file to play again.

Thanks,

Mark
I still don't understand your configuration or what "play a song from Foobar" means. What are the steps that would allow another user to reproduce your issue?

Post the output from System info. Place it in a code box for readability. It's the 5rd button from the right on the toolbar when composing a post and the 3rd button from the right when previewing a post thats being added to a thread.

Menu, Configure, System
Menu, System info

-- or via SSH --

sudo /var/www/command/sysinfo.sh
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-05-2020, 10:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I still don't understand your configuration or what "play a song from Foobar" means. What are the steps that would allow another user to reproduce your issue?

Post the output from System info. Place it in a code box for readability. It's the 5rd button from the right on the toolbar when composing a post and the 3rd button from the right when previewing a post thats being added to a thread.

Menu, Configure, System
Menu, System info

-- or via SSH --

sudo /var/www/command/sysinfo.sh

Tim,

I use Foobar2k for ripping and tagging and like the coverflow setup I now have. It's very good for classical tagging. All I want to do with the AlloUSBridge is to pass the music to the streamer (Berkeley Alpha USB) and the DAC (Tri Vista 21) for playback. I'd like to select the songs in Foobar and pass that song (data) to the Allo, and to the rest of the system.

1. Select the songs/playlist in Foobar.
2. Hit play in Foobar
3. The stream/song gets pushed to the Allo
4. Allo sends it to the Berkeley USB
5. The Berkeley USB pushes the data to the Tri Vista 21 DAC
6. From the DAC it goes to the BP-25, 7BSST amps and then to the Genesis 1.2 speaker system.

I want to isolate/decouple any computer noise with the use of the AlloUSbridge Sig. I will get the info posted and sorry if I am confused with how this works.

Thanks,

Mark
(01-05-2020, 11:28 PM)racerxnet Wrote: I use Foobar2k for ripping and tagging and like the coverflow setup I now have. It's very good for classical tagging. All I want to do with the AlloUSBridge is to pass the music to the streamer (Berkeley Alpha USB) and the DAC (Tri Vista 21) for playback. I'd like to select the songs in Foobar and pass that song (data) to the Allo, and to the rest of the system.

2. Hit play in Foobar
6. From the DAC it goes to the BP-25, 7BSST amps and then to the Genesis 1.2 speaker system.

I want to isolate/decouple any computer noise with the use of the AlloUSbridge Sig. I will get the info posted and sorry if I am confused with how this works.

You seem very confused, I'll make some points..

The Berkley Alpha isn't a streamer, it's a USB to SPDIF converter. I can see you're using this because the Tri Vista DAC doesn't have a USB input.
So you have Moode running on the Allo USBridge (this is your player/streamer) outputting to your DAC via USB, which seems to be working fine as you can play the test audio.

The confusing bit is what you're expecting to be able to do with Foobar which I'm assuming is on a Windows PC, are you trying to output to Moode over the network via UPnP using Foobar's UPnP MediaRenderer?
Have you thought about just sharing your audio files on the network & importing them into the Moode library? You can then control Moode directly from the web interface (or an MPD client) and you'll be playing the native files bit-perfect, not a resampled stream from Foobar/Windows.
(01-06-2020, 10:57 AM)vinnn Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 11:28 PM)racerxnet Wrote: I use Foobar2k for ripping and tagging and like the coverflow setup I now have. It's very good for classical tagging. All I want to do with the AlloUSBridge is to pass the music to the streamer (Berkeley Alpha USB) and the DAC (Tri Vista 21) for playback. I'd like to select the songs in Foobar and pass that song (data) to the Allo, and to the rest of the system.

2. Hit play in Foobar

You seem very confused, I'll make some points..

The Berkley Alpha isn't a streamer, it's a USB to SPDIF converter. I can see you're using this because the Tri Vista DAC doesn't have a USB input.
So you have Moode running on the Allo USBridge (this is your player/streamer) outputting to your DAC via USB, which seems to be working fine as you can play the test audio.

The confusing bit is what you're expecting to be able to do with Foobar which I'm assuming is on a Windows PC, are you trying to output to Moode over the network via UPnP using Foobar's UPnP MediaRenderer?
Have you thought about just sharing your audio files on the network & importing them into the Moode library? You can then control Moode directly from the web interface (or an MPD client) and you'll be playing the native files bit-perfect, not a resampled stream from Foobar/Windows.

Hi Vinn,

Sorry for the confusion with calling the Berkeley a streamer. Yes, it is a USB to spdif converter and the Tri Vista only accepts optical or coaxial input.

Yes, I am using Windows 7 Professional.
I am using Foobar because I am re-sampling and using room correction via Dirac Live or Mathis.
Foobars tagging is much more robust for classical music as well.

From Tim's response and the start up directions, it gave me a clue that I had other issues if the test file played back. I tried a couple radio stations and had no luck. That pointed to the network. I was using the Ethernet connection and had no internet access. I inserted a wireless adapter and set it up. That solved the connection issues for the moment. I now have everything working for the radio stations and Foobar.

I would like to remove the wireless adapter and use Ethernet connection only. Is that possible??

I can access Foobar from my phone.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm glad it is working and can get a better feel using it.

Mark