Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[How To] CD playback
Hello. I wonder if anyone might be able to help me. And please excuse my very limited skills and understanding.

I am keen to get Cd player working, but I've been hitting my head on it for a few days now.

Where I am at is as follows:
- moOdeCDPlay-master is in the Pi directory
- within the install.sh I have removed everything from if to fi (prior to that I got an 'I'm sorry...' error
- Install appears to run to restart prompt

I then have two issues. I'm not sure whether separate or related:

1. Nothing happens with CD drive even on a good day
- On reboot (via ethernet connection) nothing happens when I put a CD into the drive
- With lsusb the drive shows
- It seems to be recognised at the end of a long list of stuff I don't undertsand if I run a dmseg command

2. Most days are not good days
- Following reboot I typically lose the pi from my network
- always on wi-fi
- often on ethernet too - and if not the first time often the second
- only way through I've found if a complete clean install

Any thoughts gratefully received - and please excuse the basic nature of my understanding here
@felix

In the absence of other information, I'd guess you have a CD drive which needs more power than it's getting via its connecting cable and/or Pi USB port. You might try a powered USB hub as suggested in the HowTo.

I just spun up a fresh copy of moOde 8.2.0 on a Pi4B, installed moOdeCDPlay via the (edited) install.sh script, and plugged in the LG CD drive I mentioned in the HowTo. I'm listening to the only CD I could find (after ripping all my CDs I donated them to the county library system). No issues.

No idea about the other curious problems you're having. Maybe they're related to power/cabling issues too. Having to do a complete clean install is over the top.

Regards,
Kent

PS - always best to post the system info output when asking for help.
Hmm. I am using a powered hub so it is not that..
I’ll try again and try to work out how to post the system info output.
Thank you!
I think I might need to park trying to listen to CDs. I fear this is beyond me.

I’m afraid I don’t know how to post system info. I’ve been trying to work it out but as part of the problem is that I can’t access the pi/ moode at all I’m back to square 1 anyway.

What I have found is that if I disconnect the cd drive again, while I still can’t access via Wi-Fi I can via Ethernet. I can then reset/ set wifi. So it must be something related not completely separate.
Hi Felix, hi everybody,
Let's try to go step by step.
On the raspberry board that are 2 led's: : on the other side of the connectors (usb and ethernet) not far from the microSD, but on the upper side. Those led's indicate the activity (the green one) and the correct power (the red one): it must be on , if blinking or off it indicates a not correct power supply..
What is your situation without and with the CD driver connected?
Best regards and thanks,
Francesco
Francesco that is so kind of you.

So please forgive the fact that my one step at a time will be very literally so:

1. Set up
- RPi4 with Topping D10s DAc attached (usb DAC, USB powered)
- Updated to latest version (8.2.1)
- CD drive is on a powered USB

1. Waking from 'standby'
- Returning to my pi after work it is 'asleep' and I cannot wake it by trying to log in on local wi-fi. Red light on steady. Green a brief flash every 6-7 secs
- Unplugging power and reconnecting get steady stream of flashing green (in bursts)
- After this no problem logging into it on local wifi

2. Plugging in CD player
- Nothing happens. Radio continues to play
- CD has power. And can insert CD. But nothing happens (ie pi/moode continues to operate as if nothing has changed)
- However if I ask it what's attached via USB it can 'see' the CD player (top line below):
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 13fd:3940 Initio Corporation external DVD burner ECD819-SU3
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0626 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB3.1 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 152a:8750 Thesycon Systemsoftware & Consulting GmbH D10s
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

3. Running install
- appears to install pending reboot:
pi@moode:~ $ cd /home/pi/moOdeCDPlay-master
pi@moode:~/moOdeCDPlay-master $ /bin/bash install.sh
Install V0 moOdeCDPlay files in moOde.
Done - please reboot moOde to complete installation.
pi@moode:~/moOdeCDPlay-master $

4. After restart
- Green light flashes in burst. Red light flashes off then on steady again
- No more green flashes
- Reconnect/ system restarted message on screen, but timed out/ site can't be reached if try to reconnect
- no green light action
- if disconnect/ reconnect power with CD drive attached no change
- If disconnect CD drive while power out then reconnect power green light flashes in bursts
- can then successfully reconnect on local network

Is there anything else that might help ? I'm afraid if you need system info you will need to give me idiot proof instructions!

Thank you again for even thinking about this.

Felix
Once my scripts have been installed, nothing will happen with the CD drive plugged in until after a CD is inserted. Then the drive will start up and tracks on the CD will be indexed. When I try using a CD drive which draws too much current via the USB port I hear the drive repeatedly resetting.

As for the rest of the problems, don’t know yet.

Regards,
Kent
Thank you, Kent.

If I plug the CD player back in, having restarted the Pi as per 4 above, nothing happens when I load a CD. The CD drive has power to it (via the hub), moode can see it (lsusb), but nothing appears to happen (track indexing). Moode continues doing whatever it was doing before (I had it playing BBC Radii 6 as it happens).

I hope that is helpful.
Only thing I’m wondering is if there might be a fault with the drive. Which I haven’t eliminated.

*edit* have just checked and it plays no problem through the same usb hub via windows media player on a laptop.
Hi Felix,
- you wrote: "nothing happens when I load a CD": that means that the cd does not move?
- what is the result at the following command:

Code:
ls -l /dev/sr*

- when the CD is inserted try the following command
Code:
sudo eject
 what happens?
Let's know, please.
Best regards,
Francesco