Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode Audio in Raspbian Desktop / other distribution
Hi

Total newbie question, but i've been searching for a while, both here and in the previous forum, with no clear answer:

I'd like to install Moode Audio not as a standlone OS in an SD card (for raspeberry pi), but within a working Raspbian desktop distribution (either the Noobs raspbian for raspberry, or other specific ones like Pipplware), so that i can still make use of the other features of the distribution (NAS / Media center / programming servers, etc).

Moode would be another instance working within the OS. 

My question is:

- Is this possible?
- If yes, where can I find a tutorial for it?

Thanks in advance. And congrats on the project. Still to test, but looks promising.

BR
PS
Anyone?
(06-01-2018, 07:51 AM)PGSilva Wrote: Anyone?

moOde is built on Raspbian which is the Raspberry Pi flavor of Debian. You have the whole Debian repository to draw from, including X11 server, desktop environments, and tons of apps, so you can build out from moOde.

For me, the question is, why try to turn a purpose-built audiophile-grade music player into a all-purpose machine, especially when the Raspberry Pi is so limited in horsepower and bandwidth. You have no guarantee the audio quality would be preserved and the RPi is so inexpensive you can just buy another to be your desktop computer. Were I determined to use an SBC for desktop work, I would not choose the RPi (but my aging el-cheapo laptop knocks the socks off any SBC). Similarly, were I determined to use an SBC as a NAS, I would not choose the RPi (indeed I chose an Odroid HC1).

In theory, you can unravel the mosbuild.sh/mosbuild-worker.sh scripts to install moOde in a different environment. In practice....there may be issues. Last November, @didiet78 reported success ("with an error here and there") using the moOde recipe to bring up moOde on an OrangePi SBC running armbian (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/...37588.html). The experimental work over at DietPi to add moOde as yet another user-selectable application apparently fizzled out in March.

Regards,
Kent
(05-28-2018, 10:58 PM)PGSilva Wrote: Hi

Total newbie question, but i've been searching for a while, both here and in the previous forum, with no clear answer:

I'd like to install Moode Audio not as a standlone OS in an SD card (for raspeberry pi), but within a working Raspbian desktop distribution (either the Noobs raspbian for raspberry, or other specific ones like Pipplware), so that i can still make use of the other features of the distribution (NAS / Media center / programming servers, etc).

Moode would be another instance working within the OS. 

My question is:

- Is this possible?
- If yes, where can I find a tutorial for it?

Thanks in advance. And congrats on the project. Still to test, but looks promising.

BR
PS

Not possible. moOde audio player application requires Moode OS which is entirely custom factored to run the player and all of its features which include a custom audio stack, network stack, web stack, etc. These would directly conflict with your OS's configs and stacks.

Some users in the past have reported success with installing moOde into a dual-boot configuration but I don't have any experience with this. Another option might be to run moOde in a Linux VM environment using something like VirtualBox but I don't have any experience with this either.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks for the answers gents.
Quote:Hi Kent, Can i build an image of Docker and use moode audio player in a Docker container?

There are two ways of looking at your question. The first is, can moOde be containerized? The second is, can you do it? 

I'm tempted to say the answer to the first is "yes", but I expect it takes some work (TANSTAAFL - "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"). Mopidy with all its component parts is an example of a music server that folks claim to have containerized successfully. AFAICT, this was extra-curricular work. I see no mention of Docker in a casual perusal of the Mopidy website.

The answer to the second question is "I don't know" but you're free to fork the moOde distro and try.

Regards,
Kent