Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: hide dB +/- from view when volume externally controlled
Hi, I've seen others post that they'd like the volume control disabled if the system is not using it.  It was pointed out that this hurts the aesthetics of the layout, rightly so.  BUT, it is also confusing to see a label saying 0DB when you're clearly hearing the sound.

I propose that the volume circle is left there, preserving the moode look, but remove the volume display and control.  Specifically the "+ 0dB -" that is inside the volume circle.

Check out an example of the look:  https://flic.kr/p/2kzgxq8

It should be a fairly simple change and I think that it is an improvement for everyone, or of no impact.

I can do the work as well, if the idea is acceptable.  ...although the priority is pretty low on my list so I wouldn't get to it until later.  I intend to do it either way, but it is far better to have this accepted at source than applying the modification after every update just for myself.
The term 0dB in audio is universally known to mean 100% volume level (full volume). No volume or 0% volume level would be something like -127dB or whatever range the audio device uses for 0% volume.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-06-2021, 08:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The term 0dB in audio is universally known to mean 100% volume level (full volume). No volume or 0% volume level would be something like -127dB or whatever range the audio device uses for 0% volume.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 0dB means 0 volume. Yes, I understand that there is no attenuation by Moode - but it doesn't even need to be stated.  My CD player in my stereo stack does not tell me that there is no attenuation, just like Moode should for my purposes.  It is just another audio source.  I get line-level output out of my device, just like any other piece of stereo equipment.  It is my amplifier that has the volume control.

And even if you think that it is important to display that Moode is pumping out full volume, then why should it have the + and - above and below that?  Again, it implies that you can change the volume here.  I'm bringing this up because I just had a friend over and gave him the URL and the first thing that he asks me is how to turn it up because tapping on that was not working for him.

I like the look of the interface and it's usability, but the volume attenuation is a distraction when there is no volume to attenuate.  Simply removing the label solves it, and leave the circle cause it looks good, in my opinion.