Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Overlay with resolution/sample rate
Its a niche option for sure but some enthusiasts have collections with mixed sample rates and they would like to see this piece of information in the Library. There have been a few requests for it over the years. Filtering by sample rate isn't part of @bitlab 's proposal but it could be done.

MPD started to include the sample rate in its song file information but t's not a panacea. In my brief testing there were issues including DSF format showing no rate information and MP3 format showing a bit depth of 24 bit but of course there is no such thing as bit depth in lossy formats. I think in this case MPD is storing the decode bit depth.

Couple other points to consider when thinking about this as a generally applicable feature.

1. I think in addition to sample rate users would prolly want to also see the bit depth and format for example "24/44.1 FLAC" or "DSD 2.822 Mbps" same as what is displayed under the big cover in Playback panel. To do this requires executing the getEncodedAt($song, $outformat) function for each song file while the Library is being generated. This will prolly increase the time it takes to generate the Library. I won't know by how much until I test.

2. Displaying a badge with something like "24/44.1 FLAC" on each cover will prolly make the badge become the most dominant element in the panel instead of the cover art.  I don't think this is desirable.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub

Messages In This Thread
Overlay with resolution/sample rate - by codiac - 02-22-2020, 06:48 PM
RE: Overlay with resolution/sample rate - by Tim Curtis - 05-12-2020, 01:12 PM