Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Not starting after reboot
First of all, I'd like to thank those involved in the MoOde project for their dedication in their work. Thank you!  Smile

Configuration:
  • RPi 3
  • SMSL M100 DAC
  • RPi powered independently via a power supply
  • SMSL DAC powered by RPi

From the menu reboot, sometimes the system normally reboots ok and then it doesn't. After which I'm unable to get the system to reboot at all. This issue has occurred on about three occasions now. I've had to start building the system from scratch each time (I've not been able to find how to backup the data/base as yet, if indeed there is a way to do this). 

I have disconnected the DAC from the RPi to see if it's indeed a power supply issue, with the same result. I am not able to ssh either to the RPi. Although I do notice that when I run Advanced IP Scanner, I can see that there is a MoOde device registered on the network.

My apologies if I've not given you enough information, as I'm unsure what else to report at the moment.

Your sage advice is sought.

Many thanks!
That a very abnormal and would suggest something external to moOde software for example a corrupt or bad SDCard, power supply, other hardware issue, etc.

To troubleshoot I would start with a fresh image on a new or trusted SDCard and then boot up just the Pi with no other hardware connected and see if the issue occurs.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-04-2020, 12:25 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: That a very abnormal and would suggest something external to moOde software for example a corrupt or bad SDCard, power supply, other hardware issue, etc.

To troubleshoot I would start with a fresh image on a new or trusted SDCard and then boot up just the Pi with no other hardware connected and see if the issue occurs.

Many thanks, Tim. I was using an EMTEC 8Gb card, but I believe (can't hand to heart though) that it also happened when I installed on a Samdung 32Gb card. I'll try again with another card and report back if there's any issues.

BTW is there a way to back up the relevant data just in case?

Much appreciate you taking the time to reply so quickly. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Kal.
@japumpy

Did you try to shutdown your external DAC (SMSL M100 DAC) before shutdown Moode ?
As exemple in my setting, my USB DAC keep Moode Idle when i Shutdown or Reboot Moode if i keep the DAC on.
So i have to shutdown DAC before Shutdown Moode and prevent from a SDCARD corruption
I'm agreeing with Tim, I've had many SBCs over the years and those symptoms are usually due to a bad SD card or power supply undervoltage. Other possibilities could be too many open file handles (which is unlikely to ever happen with Moode as it doesn't produce that many files on the SD card filesystems) or overzealous overclocking (in which case return back to stock config).

Your SMSL M100 apparently draws about 300mA from the USB port and the Pi3 without any attached USB or GPIO devices draws 400mA at full load so power supply requirements shouldn't need anything special in your case. The recommended power supply for Raspberry Pi is 5V 2.5A, but a PSU capable of 1A or more should be OK for your Pi3 with just the SMSL connected.

The thing with SD cards when they start to go bad is that they almost always appear to be fine until a read operation is attempted on a bad cell then the card just hangs, causing the system to eventually hang under the weight of unresponsive IO requests. You can reformat a bad card and continue to use but the symptoms will continue and get more frequent, the only solution is to replace the card.

You could try performing a full read of the card by logging into the Pi via ssh and running;
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null

.. if this completes without errors and the OS doesn't hang then i'd guess your SD card is probably OK.
(03-04-2020, 12:18 PM)a491765 Wrote: @japumpy

Did you try to shutdown your external DAC (SMSL M100 DAC) before shutdown Moode ?
As exemple in my setting, my USB DAC keep Moode Idle when i Shutdown or Reboot Moode if i keep the DAC on.
So i have to shutdown DAC before Shutdown Moode and prevent from a SDCARD corruption

Ahh. No I didn't. I'll need to check that setting once I've programmed a new SD card as per Tim's suggestion.

Thanks for that tip matey.
(03-04-2020, 02:44 PM)vinnn Wrote: I'm agreeing with Tim, I've had many SBCs over the years and those symptoms are usually due to a bad SD card or power supply undervoltage. Other possibilities could be too many open file handles (which is unlikely to ever happen with Moode as it doesn't produce that many files on the SD card filesystems) or overzealous overclocking (in which case return back to stock config).

Your SMSL M100 apparently draws about 300mA from the USB port and the Pi3 without any attached USB or GPIO devices draws 400mA at full load so power supply requirements shouldn't need anything special in your case. The recommended power supply for Raspberry Pi is 5V 2.5A, but a PSU capable of 1A or more should be OK for your Pi3 with just the SMSL connected.

The thing with SD cards when they start to go bad is that they almost always appear to be fine until a read operation is attempted on a bad cell then the card just hangs, causing the system to eventually hang under the weight of unresponsive IO requests. You can reformat a bad card and continue to use but the symptoms will continue and get more frequent, the only solution is to replace the card.

You could try performing a full read of the card by logging into the Pi via ssh and running;
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null

.. if this completes without errors and the OS doesn't hang then i'd guess your SD card is probably OK.

Thank you, Vinnn for your advice. I shall certainly try that. With that in mind I'll program both new and original SDs and see what happens.

I must say that this forum and its members are very helpful! Thank you all! :-)
Just reporting back. Sorry it's taken a while. I've been struggling a bit with getting the database to build. I've made up 3 SD card images to test. The one that I'm using is a new-ish card that has the latest and greatest MoOde installed. Installation was perfect; I added my NAS to the system (Synology DS918+).
In the default settings, the system is able to mount the NAS and 'see's' the directory where my media is. It parses the first directory completely and then stops. When I try to look at what's been registered I can see the tracks and I can play them ok. However, later when I try and look at the NAS directory, the NAS has disappeared from the system. I've tried to 'REGEN' the database with the same results.
I have also tried experimenting with changing the mount flags with the following values:
-vers = 1.0 - NAS mounts ok but only parses one directory and on subsequent look, the NAS doesn't appear to be mounted.
-vers = 2.0 - as above
-vers =3.0/3.1 - NAS doesn't mount
-vers = default - NAS doesn't mount

Removing vers - the NAS doesn't mount at all.

Please accept my apologies if I've posted this message in the wrong thread.
(03-07-2020, 10:27 PM)japumpy Wrote:  Just reporting back. Sorry it's taken a while. I've been struggling a bit with getting the database to build. I've made up 3 SD card images to test. The one that I'm using is a new-ish card that has the latest and greatest MoOde installed. Installation was perfect; I added my NAS to the system (Synology DS918+).
In the default settings, the system is able to mount the NAS and 'see's' the directory where my media is. It parses the first directory completely and then stops. When I try to look at what's been registered I can see the tracks and I can play them ok. However, later when I try and look at the NAS directory, the NAS has disappeared from the system. I've tried to 'REGEN' the database with the same results.
I have also tried experimenting with changing the mount flags with the following values:
-vers = 1.0 - NAS mounts ok but only parses one directory and on subsequent look, the NAS doesn't appear to be mounted.
-vers = 2.0 - as above
-vers =3.0/3.1 - NAS doesn't mount
-vers = default - NAS doesn't mount

Removing vers -  the NAS doesn't mount at all.

Please accept my apologies if I've posted this message in the wrong thread.

You haven't said what protocol you're mounting with, I'm guessing NFS?
Is the Pi's network connection wired or wireless?
Are you mounting the nas by hostname or IP address?

Did you read test your sd card?
I had those kind of problem since moOde 5 series, randomly when reboot or power failure, it failed to reboot, systemd goes to emergency mode.

I finally found the problem, im using SD CARD 200go, and when fsck run at boot, it take ~3 minutes to check the card, but Systemd, by default, goes to emergency mode after 90s of waiting. I tried with many sdcard (SANDISK, class 10) and pi, and each time same problem.

So the answer was this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Add x-systemd.device-timeout=10min to /boot partition
Code:
PARTUUID=6c586e13-01  /boot           vfat    defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=10min          0       2

And problem was gone.

Im not sure it's the same for you, since you're using smaller SD CARD, but the symptoms match, so it could be worth trying.