Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Ripped Vinyl Metadata
Hey folks,

I'm a two day newbie to Moode, and am relatively new to the world of hifi in general. 

That said, I recently made some high quality rips of a couple LP's I had using my ProTools rig. These output the "tracks" as 24bit/192k .wav files. I manually added the metadata (or what I thought) to the tracks using Kid3 tag editor, and added them to my NAS. 

However, when I pull them up in my Moode Album library they are listed as "Unknown Artist" "Unknown Title" . Didn't know if you all could help me out with what I'm missing. M3u file? Need Vorbis vs IDv3?

FWIW they are listed correctly in the File tree, but songs are out of order. 

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Lttlwing16

[Full disclosure: I haven't used .wav files except for a few tests and I know nothing about the inner workings of Kid3]

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on WAV:

Quote:As a derivative of RIFF, WAV files can be tagged with metadata in the INFO chunk. In addition, WAV files can embed any kind of metadata, including but not limited to Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) data[27] or ID3 tags[28] in extra chunks. Applications may not handle this extra information or may expect to see it in a particular place. Although the RIFF specification requires that applications ignore chunks they do not recognize, some applications are confused by additional chunks.[

In our case, the "applications" referred to here doesn't refer to moOde per se but to its constituent MPD's plug-ins which handle .wav files and metadata. Depending on where Kid3 put the metadata, the MPD plug-ins may or may not be able to find it.

Just out of curiosity, what does mediainfo report for any of your files?

Here's an example for a test file I made a few years ago using dBpoweramp to rip a CD:

Code:
pi@moodelr:/mnt/NAS/OMV-SMB/DBPowerAmp/Kronos Quartet/Night Prayers $ mediainfo 04*
General
Complete name                            : 04 John Sherba-Joan Jeanrenaud-David Harrington-Hank Dutt-Kronos Quartet - String Quartet No.4, with tape.wav
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 120 MiB
Duration                                 : 11 min 54 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 1 412 kb/s
Album                                    : Night Prayers
Album/Performer                          : Kronos Quartet
Part/Position                            : 1
Part/Total                               : 1
Track name                               : String Quartet No.4, with tape
Track name/Position                      : 4
Track name/Total                         : 7
Compilation                              : Yes
Performer                                : John Sherba/Joan Jeanrenaud/David Harrington/Hank Dutt/Kronos Quartet
Composer                                 : Sofia Gubaidulina
Director                                 : John Sherba / Joan Jeanrenaud / David Harrington / Hank Dutt / Kronos Quartet
Encoded by                               : dBpoweramp Release 15.3
Publisher                                : Nonesuch
Genre                                    : Chamber Music
Recorded date                            : 1994
Writing application                      : dBpoweramp Release 15.3
Writing library                          : -compression="PCM"
Original source form                     : CD (Lossless)
Original source form/Name                : Night Prayers
Cover                                    : Yes
Cover type                               : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                               : image/jpeg
TORG                                     : Nonesuch
ITRK                                     : 4/7
Media Type                               : CD (Lossless)
Catalog #                                : 7559793462
Encoder                                  : Wave

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 411.2 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 120 MiB (100%)

[Added after posting] Sorry, I forgot the punchline. For this .wav file, moOde shows the same metadata in the Playback screen that mediainfo shows from the command line.

Regards,
Kent
(03-22-2020, 10:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Lttlwing16

[Full disclosure: I haven't used .wav files except for a few tests and I know nothing about the inner workings of Kid3]

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on WAV:

Quote:As a derivative of RIFF, WAV files can be tagged with metadata in the INFO chunk. In addition, WAV files can embed any kind of metadata, including but not limited to Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) data[27] or ID3 tags[28] in extra chunks. Applications may not handle this extra information or may expect to see it in a particular place. Although the RIFF specification requires that applications ignore chunks they do not recognize, some applications are confused by additional chunks.[

In our case, the "applications" referred to here doesn't refer to moOde per se but to its constituent MPD's plug-ins which handle .wav files and metadata. Depending on where Kid3 put the metadata, the MPD plug-ins may or may not be able to find it.

Just out of curiosity, what does mediainfo report for any of your files?

Here's an example for a test file I made a few years ago using dBpoweramp to rip a CD:

Code:
pi@moodelr:/mnt/NAS/OMV-SMB/DBPowerAmp/Kronos Quartet/Night Prayers $ mediainfo 04*
General
Complete name                            : 04 John Sherba-Joan Jeanrenaud-David Harrington-Hank Dutt-Kronos Quartet - String Quartet No.4, with tape.wav
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 120 MiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 1 412 kb/s
Album                                    : Night Prayers
Album/Performer                          : Kronos Quartet
Part/Position                            : 1
Part/Total                               : 1
Track name                               : String Quartet No.4, with tape
Track name/Position                      : 4
Track name/Total                         : 7
Compilation                              : Yes
Performer                                : John Sherba/Joan Jeanrenaud/David Harrington/Hank Dutt/Kronos Quartet
Composer                                 : Sofia Gubaidulina
Director                                 : John Sherba / Joan Jeanrenaud / David Harrington / Hank Dutt / Kronos Quartet
Encoded by                               : dBpoweramp Release 15.3
Publisher                                : Nonesuch
Genre                                    : Chamber Music
Recorded date                            : 1994
Writing application                      : dBpoweramp Release 15.3
Writing library                          : -compression="PCM"
Original source form                     : CD (Lossless)
Original source form/Name                : Night Prayers
Cover                                    : Yes
Cover type                               : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                               : image/jpeg
TORG                                     : Nonesuch
ITRK                                     : 4/7
Media Type                               : CD (Lossless)
Catalog #                                : 7559793462
Encoder                                  : Wave

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 411.2 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 120 MiB (100%)

[Added after posting] Sorry, I forgot the punchline. For this .wav file, moOde shows the same metadata in the Playback screen that mediainfo shows from the command line.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent, I was unable to find the path to my NAS in the SSH shell, so I am unable to pull the $ mediainfo 04*

I did some digging in Kid3 and apparently WAV files are tricky to tag. I've enabled a setting that will lowercase the id3 tag, and perhaps that's what it needs. Additionally, I found the playlist generator for Kid3, so tracks are now playlisted appropriately. 

Will report back
Try navigating /mnt/NAS/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim, I finally got the path, but am getting a bash error when executing $ mediainfo
@Lttlwing16

OOPs. I cheated when I entered my mediainfo command. I couldn't remember the entire file name but knew it started "04" so I used the wild card "04*". In general, you want to enter the track filename.

Also, the "$" is the comand line prompt for you to enter a command. You don't type it in.
(03-23-2020, 01:23 AM)Lttlwing16 Wrote: Thanks Tim, I finally got the path, but am getting a bash error when executing $ mediainfo

post the string u are entering
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks guys, I figured it out. Attached are the screenshots of the output of one of the files from the vinyl rips. Appears to me mediainfo is picking up what kid3 has tagged, but still showing unknown in the album view.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Check what tags MPD has found. U can also examine the MPD log for errors after doing a database re-gen.

Code:
Start the track playing then enter the cmds below

telnet localhost 6600
currentsong

Examine the MPD log

cat /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
(03-23-2020, 01:40 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Check what tags MPD has found. U can also examine the MPD log for errors after doing a database re-gen.

Code:
Start the track playing then enter the cmds below

telnet localhost 6600
currentsong

Examine the MPD log

cat /var/log/mpd/log

The log didn't show anything regarding the playback, but did show where I had updated the database after making some changes to other tags. 

The currentsong cmd output:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ telnet localhost 6600
Trying ::1...                                                                                                                        
Trying 127.0.0.1...                                                                                                                  
Connected to localhost.                                                                                                              
Escape character is '^]'.                                                                                                            
OK MPD 0.21.11                                                                                                                        
currentsong                                                                                                                          
file: NAS/manjaro/Music/VinylHifi/Grover Washington/It Feels So Good/01-The Sea Lion.wav                                              
Last-Modified: 2020-03-23T00:21:57Z                                                                                                  
Date: 2020-03-22                                                                                                                      
Time: 357                                                                                                                            
duration: 357.035                                                                                                                    
Pos: 0                                                                                                                                
Id: 70                                                                                                                                
OK