Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Pi Zero Glitches when SoX Resampling
Hi,

I just installed moodeaudio on my Raspberry Pi Zero WH and would like to give it a try.

It‘s my first time using a Pi for streaming music. Before I was streaming music with my Fire TV Stick using the Tidal app. My TV is connected via Toslink to my Topping D50s DAC. I think this setup has some drawbacks in terms of SQ. That‘s the reason for experimenting with moodeaudio.

I am only using Tidal for music streaming; no NAS or locally stored files on the SD card.

Back to moodeaudio on my Pi Zero. I noticed some issues:
  1. When activating SoX Resampling I hear glitches all time. I checked moodeutl -m and saw that my Pi Zero was running with cpu load of 100 %. Is the Pi Zero not powerful enough to do SoX Resampling?
  2. When starting moodeaudio or switching between a Radiostation or Tidal via Upnp I always have to set the software volume to 100 %. Is there a way to set the volume by default to 100 %?
  3. Airplay doesn‘t work. The stream is playing in my Tidal app, but I have no sound.
I‘ve already searched the forum, but couldn‘t a specific answer to my issues. So it would be glad if I could get some little help.

Regards
Marcel
(04-02-2020, 10:09 AM)RPiZero Wrote: Hi,

I just installed moodeaudio on my Raspberry Pi Zero WH and would like to give it a try.

It‘s my first time using a Pi for streaming music. Before I was streaming music with my Fire TV Stick using the Tidal app. My TV is connected via Toslink to my Topping D50s DAC. I think this setup has some drawbacks in terms of SQ. That‘s the reason for experimenting with moodeaudio.

I am only using Tidal for music streaming; no NAS or locally stored files on the SD card.

Back to moodeaudio on my Pi Zero. I noticed some issues:
  1. When activating SoX Resampling I hear glitches all time. I checked moodeutl -m and saw that my Pi Zero was running with cpu load of 100 %. Is the Pi Zero not powerful enough to do SoX Resampling?
  2. When starting moodeaudio or switching between a Radiostation or Tidal via Upnp I always have to set the software volume to 100 %. Is there a way to set the volume by default to 100 %?
  3. Airplay doesn‘t work. The stream is playing in my Tidal app, but I have no sound.
I‘ve already searched the forum, but couldn‘t a specific answer to my issues. So it would be glad if I could get some little help.

Regards
Marcel

One should not ask 'number crunching' ability from the rather modestly specified RPi Zero... What is the CPU load with just ntive radio stream (no upsampling)? You'll probably get a good hint from running various settings of upsampling starting with no upsampling for what you can do with an RPi Zero.

RPi Zero is good for suitable functions tuned to its range of features (and limitations)... I had one Zero W on a music playing duty with a cheap HAT DAC running, of couse, MoOde in the kitchen (plus a cheap digital amp made with cheap Chinese boards, laptop AC adapters and re-purposed speakers, all in one enclosure). Kitchen refitting ordered by the the Better Half and the MoOde outfit has landed in the garage and the RPi back into the drawer).
Yeah the Pi Zero's single core cpu doesn't have a lot of resources to play with, you're going to have to keep resampling disabled.
Or just get a Pi-3A+ :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Ok, I see. Then I have to get a Pi 4. Thank you.
I would not blame the Pi Zero for this Wink What kind of source do you use for up sampling?

Using a Pi Zero (w) with a PCM5122 DAC (PIFI) it does not have issues up to sources [16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo]. Above it might not make sense (if up scaling makes sense at all is a different story).

The settings in Moode are for SoX: 32/384 with high quality.

The "top" command reveals <50% CPU for the mpd, which leaves still some headroom. I cannot hear glitches.

Without SoX diabled, mpd shows about 10% CPU

Meaning, before you invest in a Raspberry 4, you might want to check your setup.

The Pi Zero actually performs very well with Moode.

BR
(04-09-2020, 10:32 AM)Daciac Wrote: I would not blame the Pi Zero for this Wink What kind of source do you use for up sampling?

Using a Pi Zero (w) with a PCM5122 DAC (PIFI) it does not have issues up to sources [16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo]. Above it might not make sense (if up scaling makes sense at all is a different story).

The settings in Moode are for SoX: 32/384 with high quality.

The "top" command reveals <50% CPU for the mpd, which leaves still some headroom. I cannot hear glitches.

Without SoX diabled, mpd shows about 10% CPU

Meaning, before you invest in a Raspberry 4, you might want to check your setup.

The Pi Zero actually performs very well with Moode.

BR

Are you able to stream Spotify and run 10 bands PEQ on the zero?