Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: USB DAC sampling rate - pops!
Hi guys,
Firstly thank you to Tim for creating the best Pi based Distro for us music geeks!
I built my Raspdac kit a few years ago and still use it daily for my tunes, it uses the Audiophonics ES Sabre 9023 top hat and operates flawlessly, I can try any sampling rates and never have any issues.

My issue:
 I've recently acquired an SMSL Sanskritt 10th DAC, I'm using it on my Pi2 running MoOde 6.4.2, after some faffing about I'm able to play music and it actually sound very good! For some reason though if I change the sampling rate from 'disabled' I get pops and clicks, I've played around with all rates and all have the same issue.
I've also tried all SoX settings and even at medium I still can't adjust the sampling rate without pops.

Just for clarity I am using an external PSU for the DAC as it really benefits from using a PSU and it stops the Pi2 from trying to drive the DAC voltage/current ec.

Would adjusting the buffer size help with this? I wonder if it's a case of 'lack of grunt' to deal with on-the-fly decoding.
cheers in advance,
Mark
Double Post!