Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Official moOde 6.5.2 support thread
Thanks. The 64-bit kernel is still kind of messy and experimental. It seems that some libraries and drivers crash when running in 64 bit. Maybe when moOde switches to the 5.4.y kernel branch there will be more stability in 64-bit.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-17-2020, 08:28 AM)rAudio Wrote: Hello Forum!
As this is my first post, I would like to thank everyone involved for providing such a great system (i enjoy it every day)!
Secondly I would like to report a bug on moOde 6.5.2 on a Pi-4B 4GB v1.2 with hifiberry dac+ pro: as soon as I switch to 64bit kernel wifi becomes unavailable (system information tells me: WLAN address = unassigned WLAN MAC = no adapter) and I only can connect via ethernet. Changing back to 32bit kernel fixes the problem. I've got another Pi-4B 4GB running the same exact setup, the only difference is that on this one wifi works flawlessly with the 64bit kernel (another difference is the microsd with 32 on this vs 128 gb on the other one). I've formated the microsd and flashed the image again, but the problem persits.
This said, I can happily live with the 32bit kernel - just wanted to report this bug.

Recapping:
- two RPi 4B 4GB v1.2 (both... ??)
- two different-size uSD cards (32 GB and 128 GB)
- MoOde 6.5.2 loaded on both uSD cards
- HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro (used on both RPi's... ??)
- WiFi fails on the RPI running  64bit-kernel 128GB uSD card (even after re-imaging)
- WiFi works on the RPi running 64bit-kernel 32GB uSD card

If the above is correct:
- (no HAT DAC) how is the WiFi connection on both RPi's running their original 64bit-kernel uSD cards... ?
- (no HAT DAC) how is the WiFi connection on the 'suspect' RPi running a NEW 64bit-kernel ~32GB~ uSD card... ?
- repeat the above TWO test; how is the WiFi connection on both RPi's... ?
(06-17-2020, 08:28 AM)rAudio Wrote: Hello Forum!
As this is my first post, I would like to thank everyone involved for providing such a great system (i enjoy it every day)!
Secondly I would like to report a bug on moOde 6.5.2 on a Pi-4B 4GB v1.2 with hifiberry dac+ pro: as soon as I switch to 64bit kernel wifi becomes unavailable (system information tells me: WLAN address = unassigned WLAN MAC = no adapter) and I only can connect via ethernet. Changing back to 32bit kernel fixes the problem. I've got another Pi-4B 4GB running the same exact setup, the only difference is that on this one wifi works flawlessly with the 64bit kernel (another difference is the microsd with 32 on this vs 128 gb on the other one). I've formated the microsd and flashed the image again, but the problem persits.
This said, I can happily live with the 32bit kernel - just wanted to report this bug.

Quote:Pi-4B 4GB v1.2  another Pi-4B 4GB

Are they both running the same firmware ?  Were they purchased at the same time ? Is the one running wifi fine a later purchase..?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio.../README.md
----------
bob
@rAudio

1. uSD cards are not all the same. Have you tried the simple expedient of swapping the 32GB and 128GB cards between the two RPi4Bs and rebooting? Is the behavior related to a specific RPi4B or to the 128GB card?

2. To expand on @DRONE7's post, the RPi model 4 differs from earlier models in that it has some of its firmware stored in eeprom so that It is available at boot but can be updated from time to time. (Previous models use the contents of the bootcode.bin file.)

Check your two RPi4Bs using the vcgencmd command to be sure they are running the same firmware version. Here's an example for the moOde player in my living room:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd bootloader_version
Apr 16 2020 18:11:26
version a5e1b95f320810c69441557c5f5f0a7f2460dfb8 (release)
timestamp 1587057086

If they are not the same, then consult the RPi booteeprom documentation on the update process.

Regards,
Kent

PS - (my favorite soapbox topic) This is not a moOde 6.5.2 bug report. It should be the subject of a separate thread.
(06-18-2020, 11:30 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @rAudio

1. uSD cards are not all the same. Have you tried the simple expedient of swapping the 32GB and 128GB cards between the two RPi4Bs and rebooting? Is the behavior related to a specific RPi4B or to the 128GB card?

2. To expand on @DRONE7's post, the RPi model 4 differs from earlier models in that it has some of its firmware stored in eeprom so that It is available at boot but can be updated from time to time. (Previous models use the contents of the bootcode.bin file.)

Check your two RPi4Bs using the vcgencmd command to be sure they are running the same firmware version. Here's an example for the moOde player in my living room:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd bootloader_version
Apr 16 2020 18:11:26
version a5e1b95f320810c69441557c5f5f0a7f2460dfb8 (release)
timestamp 1587057086

If they are not the same, then consult the RPi booteeprom documentation on the update process.

Regards,
Kent

PS - (my favorite soapbox topic) This is not a moOde 6.5.2 bug report. It should be the subject of a separate thread.

As a first step, update your pis.

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Then reboot.

This will not break Moode.

After rebooting,

sudo rpi-eeprom-update

to see the firmware versions.

Cheers,

Phil

Sure, I was just hoping to find out if the difference in firmware was the root cause before he upgraded.
(06-18-2020, 08:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sure, I was just hoping to find out if the difference in firmware was the root cause before he upgraded.

My (too) many years in IT have led me to the 'patch everything first and see if it is still broken" mantra Tongue

(06-18-2020, 09:28 PM)philrandal Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 08:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sure, I was just hoping to find out if the difference in firmware was the root cause before he upgraded.

My (too) many years in IT have led me to the 'patch everything first and see if it is still broken" mantra Tongue

My many years have led me to start my check list with "it's plugged in, right?" [1]

Naturally, that's followed by "it's turned on, right?"

If both answers are yes, then we move on to "have you tried rebooting?"

Only then do I get to your mantra Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent

[1] Let me tell you about the time the overnight cleaning crew unplugged the power feed to my cubicle so they could run their vacuum cleaner without going to find an extension cord. My Apollo workstation---yes, this happened that long ago---clearly was plugged into the cubicle's power strip but wouldn't power up. The disconnection was behind a modesty panel where I couldn't see it. What a hoot!
Wow thanks for all the support!

Quote:If the above is correct:
- (no HAT DAC) how is the WiFi connection on both RPi's running their original 64bit-kernel uSD cards... ?
- (no HAT DAC) how is the WiFi connection on the 'suspect' RPi running a NEW 64bit-kernel ~32GB~ uSD card... ?
- repeat the above TWO test; how is the WiFi connection on both RPi's... ?
- HAT DAC / no HAT DAC seems to have no effect.

Quote:Are they both running the same firmware ?  Were they purchased at the same time ? Is the one running wifi fine a later purchase..?
So apparently the rpi i bought first and is running the 64bit kernel flawlessly is a Pi-4B 4GB v1.2 and strangely enough the rpi i bought weeks later and does not establish a wifi connection with the 64bit kernel is a Pi-4B 4GB v1.1 - so contrary to what i thought they are not equal. i was not aware of that.

Quote:Check your two RPi4Bs using the vcgencmd command to be sure they are running the same firmware version. 
the are both running version f626c772b15ba1b7e0532a8d50a761b3ccbdf3bb

Quote:As a first step, update your pis.

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Then reboot.
both commands return errors:

-sudo apt update

Code:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: The package cache file is corrupted

-sudo apt full-upgrade
Code:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 0:
end of file after field name ''
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Quote:1. uSD cards are not all the same. Have you tried the simple expedient of swapping the 32GB and 128GB cards between the two RPi4Bs and rebooting? Is the behavior related to a specific RPi4B or to the 128GB card?
This is interesting! Swapping the uSD does have an effect: the rpi 1.1 where wifi was not working with 64bit and the 128gb uSD, does establish a wifi connection without problems with the 32gb uSD. The rpi 1.2 is unable with the 128gb uSD (wifi: no adapter). Both running the same version of moOde and with the exact same settings. 
So it seems to be the uSD after all? The 128gb is a SanDisk Ultra and the 32gb is a Toshiba M203.

I will not have the possibility to test the rpi 1.1 128gb, because i will give it away this weekend as a birthday present (as planned).
Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming support! This is a great community. I am impressed.
(06-19-2020, 10:18 AM)rAudio Wrote: -sudo apt update

Code:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: The package cache file is corrupted

-sudo apt full-upgrade
Code:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 0:
end of file after field name ''
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

That's the point where I'd reimage to a new SD card and try again.

Phil