Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

touchscreen clipping noise
Hello, i have the following issue.
I have connected a 10inch touchscreen to moode 6.42 , but when the touchscreen is enabled and operational, there is noise in the music being played (sounds like clipping when music gets loud).
the raspberry i use is 2b, around 35-40% of the resources are used when the touchscreen is connected (4-5% when  disabled)
if I try it on raspberry 4 will i have the same issue?are there minimal hardware requirements for the touchscreen?
i checked the forum and it seems the solution is to reduce the volume to less then 100%, but will i loose the hifi quality? (we are all here for the hiend sound after allSmile
(05-05-2020, 07:34 AM)paulmarinis Wrote: i checked the forum and it seems the solution is to reduce the volume to less then 100%, but will i loose the hifi quality? (we are all here for the hiend sound after allSmile

In my set up, where I have the volume disabled in Moode (0dB 100% output) with the output being effectively a LINE OUT that I then control with the volume controls on my external amplifier, I find that setting the Max ALSA volume to somewhere about 90% removes all the clipping I found on loud pieces. If your setup is similar, then you might benefit from reducing the Max ALSA. Given that your sound quality drops when you add a hardware component, I suspect there is something else at play other than issues with running everything at maximum like in my setup.
Reducing the ALSA volume should have no effect whatever on the "quality" in terms of the actual digital information, it does in my case have a profound effect on the quality of the sound waves that come out of the speakers however since they are free from clipping.
----------------
Robert
(05-05-2020, 07:34 AM)paulmarinis Wrote: I have connected a 10inch touchscreen to moode 6.42 , but when the touchscreen is enabled and operational, there is noise in the music being played (sounds like clipping when music gets loud).
the raspberry i use is 2b, around 35-40% of the resources are used when the touchscreen is connected (4-5% when  disabled)
i checked the forum and it seems the solution is to reduce the volume to less then 100%, but will i loose the hifi quality? (we are all here for the hiend sound after allSmile

No, reducing the volume to 90% won't loose the audio quality, at most a (not noticeable) bit of dynamic range.

Perhaps your problem is power (supply) related, if the screens power is fed by the RPi, enabling it will increase the load on the power supply.
(05-06-2020, 10:45 PM)SimonLeBon Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 07:34 AM)paulmarinis Wrote: I have connected a 10inch touchscreen to moode 6.42 , but when the touchscreen is enabled and operational, there is noise in the music being played (sounds like clipping when music gets loud).

No, reducing the volume to 90% won't loose the audio quality, at most a (not noticeable) bit of dynamic range.

Perhaps your problem is power (supply) related, if the screens power is fed by the RPi, enabling it will increase the load on the power supply.

Hello 
No the screen is powered by a separate power supply (a phone charger).
I have also an LCD 20x4 connected which is powered by the PI, but it does not affect the sound quality in any way.