Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

new problem with upmpdcli Tidal plugin
Oh, this is the reason why since yesterday I'm not anymore able to play TIDAL contents through Moode !
So the solution, hoping the in the next future TIDAL will release a new token or something similar, will be the "other way" suggested by Kent. Well, AFAIK there are three options: Airplay from an iOS device, Bluetooth Renderer, UPNP Renderer. I suppose that in all those cases the "server" part will be played by the device from which manage the playing contents. I have in my own built streamer an OLED display, showing playing info and getting from running MPD.
So , three questions:
1) I made a test using Airplay and the display doesn't show anything. This why using Moode only for rendering, MPD daemon is not involved?
2) I never activate Bluetooth render on Moode. But... do I need an additional Bluetooth antenna, or the RPI3 has a built'in one?
3) I have an iPhone, but I'like to have an app like BubbleUPNP to try the third method suggested by Kent. Is there any similar app available for iOS, able to autonomously login on TIDAL (or whatever else similar music service), and send the stream to Moode renderer?

thanks!
First, to @Andy B

If you are asking if there an answer for FOSS software continuing to work with recalcitrant streaming service providers, there really isn't one. If a company doesn't publish and support the specs for an open API which anyone can implement, then clever people try to reverse-engineer the closed API knowing that their work is grounded in quicksand. What works today may not work tomorrow.

The third-party app developers, BubbleUPnP, Linn, and the like, are not FOSS developers. They have their own arrangements with the streaming services.

Second, to @mancio61

Yes to #1, the other renderers listed in moOde's Audio Config panel bypass MPD. For at least some of them, it is possible to pass metadata including coverart through the protocols they use. However, the developer/maintainers of the third-party FOSS packages incorporated in moOde have to support this use case. Even when they do, the metadata has to be accessible in a form which Tim can integrate into the moOde UI. And the result has to be maintainable. To quote a memorable line from the movie Master and Commander, "which it will be ready when it is ready."

As to #2, yes there are Bluetooth transceivers on most RPi models. The Wikipedia article on Raspberry Pi summarized the capabilities of all models in a large table. What it doesn't mention upfront is that the Bluetooth/WiFi combo in the RPi3B (not B+) is notoriously unreliable.

As to #3, don't forget there's a native Tidal app available for iOS. From my limited experience, the Linn apps support Qobuz and Tidal, as does mconnect Lite. There may be others.

Regards,
Kent
[quote pid='20176' dateline='1589543733']
Yes to #1, the other renderers listed in moOde's Audio Config panel bypass MPD. For at least some of them, it is possible to pass metadata including coverart through the protocols they use. However, the developer/maintainers of the third-party FOSS packages incorporated in moOde have to support this use case. Even when they do, the metadata has to be accessible in a form which Tim can integrate into the moOde UI. And the result has to be maintainable. To quote a memorable line from the movie Master and Commander, "which it will be ready when it is ready."

As to #2, yes there are Bluetooth transceivers on most RPi models. The Wikipedia article on Raspberry Pi summarized the capabilities of all models in a large table. What it doesn't mention upfront is that the Bluetooth/WiFi combo in the RPi3B (not B+) is notoriously unreliable.

As to #3, don't forget there's a native Tidal app available for iOS. From my limited experience, the Linn apps support Qobuz and Tidal, as does mconnect Lite. There may be others.

[/quote]

#1 --- that's what I supposed to.. bypassing MPD. Mhh, the solution to use metadata would be feasibile, I try to develop an alternative version of my python script to catch info from that (surely hoping that sooner or later TIDAL will allow access to their API).

#2 I make a tentative, only to play with it....

#3 Of course, I have the native TIDAL app running on my iPhone, and is possible to send the music to Moode via Airplay. A question: in this case the quality I suppose that couldn't be the same as when Moode works (sorry, worked...) as a kind of TIDAL server using upnmpcli developed by  JFD ?
If the source is 16/44.1 then Airplay protocol streams it 16/44.1 lossless.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-15-2020, 07:50 AM)Andy B Wrote: Hi Kent,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is the answer here? That until Tidal allow access and release another token there is nothing that can be done?

Regards,
Andy.

For now we can use BubbleUPnP to authenticate with and browse Tidal and choose Moode as the renderer, in bubbleupnp you'll need to goto Settings > [Local and Cloud] > [TIDAL] and enter your Tidal credentials.

If you've already been using BubbleUPnP and you're use to choosing [Select Library...] > [MoodeUPNP-mediaserver] > [Tidal] to use Tidal, instead goto [Select Library...] > [Local & Cloud] > [Tidal] and select "Moode UPnP" as the renderer on the [Now Playing] screen.
That'll at least be a workaround until the upmpdcli project fixes the issue and the appropriate version finds it way into Moode.

Vince
(05-15-2020, 12:30 PM)vinnn Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 07:50 AM)Andy B Wrote: Hi Kent,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is the answer here? That until Tidal allow access and release another token there is nothing that can be done?

Regards,
Andy.

For now we can use BubbleUPnP to authenticate with and browse Tidal and choose Moode as the renderer, in bubbleupnp you'll need to goto Settings > [Local and Cloud] > [TIDAL] and enter your Tidal credentials.

If you've already been using BubbleUPnP and you're use to choosing [Select Library...] > [MoodeUPNP-mediaserver] > [Tidal] to use Tidal, instead goto [Select Library...] > [Local & Cloud] > [Tidal] and select "Moode UPnP" as the renderer on the [Now Playing] screen.
That'll at least be a workaround until the upmpdcli project fixes the issue and the appropriate version finds it way into Moode.

Vince
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'm on IOS so I am using accessing Tidal via MC Connect as referred to above.

I haven't found a way of using my macbook yet since Kazoo stopped working. Thought I read that you could install BubbleUPnP Server and with Open Home get Kazoo working but I've had no joy with that.

Regards,
Andy.
Hi guys, 

I don't know if this post can help, but with the method described here I was able to obtain a new token and have the upmpdcli Tidal plugin working again.

Regards

Daniele
I assume you are talking about the first section of this repo's README.md, which describes a method of sniffing out a Tidal token from network traffic. 

Nice find, and that ought to work, but it seems like a big ask for folks who just want to "enjoy the music." I find this just as odious as the malarkey involved in getting oauth to work with the gmusicapi.

It was fun while it lasted but UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome bring no value to my personal use of moOde with respect to the commercial streaming music services. I'll test whatever upmpdcli features Tim implements but I'm not going to advocate for any.

Regards,
Kent
Gotta say this is pretty frustrating for me. I really enjoy using Tidal direct to the Pi and having the credentials in MoOde Audio.

If this can’t be figured out and made to work, it’s a bit of a of game changer for me, and it won’t be MoOde I’m changing away from either.

I think it is worth saying that I spent a good bit of time on this problem too. In my system and in several local friends systems that use Tidal/MoOde - same problem.

Hoping for a quick solution.
It's not really a moOde or upmpdci issue to solve. It looks like Tidal revoked the hacked authentication tokens that have been floating around for a while. Any app that's been using these has been running on borrowed time.

IIRC upmpdci maintainer's position going forward is that its up to the user to reverse engineer a token and then include it in upmpdci. I have no idea where this token is placed in upmpdci.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub