Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

new problem with upmpdcli Tidal plugin
(05-16-2020, 07:57 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: ...
IIRC upmpdci maintainer's position going forward is that its up to the user to reverse engineer a token and then include it in upmpdci. I have no idea where this token is placed in upmpdci.

Yup. The user is invited to combine the packet-sniffing results from the method linked to from http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...7#pid20207 with JFD's Python module pointed to in the quote in my http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...4#pid20154

Meh.

Regards,
Kent
(05-16-2020, 08:25 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
IIRC upmpdci maintainer's position going forward is that its up to the user to reverse engineer a token and then include it in upmpdci. I have no idea where this token is placed in upmpdci.

Yup. The user is invited to combine the packet-sniffing results from the method linked to from http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...7#pid20207 with JFD's Python module pointed to in the quote in my http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...4#pid20154

Meh.

Regards,
Kent

I gotta say - I’m more than a little disappointed by this.  To me, this is one of the best aspects/ features of MoOde.  Think about it.  What, some more than 170,000 tracks and growing, right your fingertips without have to maintain them, and at better than ripped quality in many, many instances...

My little group of audio friends, i.e., more than a dozen, who use this service are somewhat devastated.
@jrocker

I'm not sure what this distress is about.

No matter what, a third-party app is required to access these streaming services and play a track via moOde. 

All we've determined is that it is no longer easy to use a UPnP Control Point app to access Tidal, Qobuz, and Google Play Music with moOde acting as a proxy for their servers. In some cases, like my current favs Amazon MusicHD and Primephonic, it was never possible.

You still can use some different app, including the streaming services' native apps, to access any of these services and direct the output to moOde via whatever protocol works with them and the device they're on, e.g, Airplay, Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, Squeezelite, UPnP. I do it all the time.

Regards,
Kent
@Andy B 

Assuming you mean mconnect you can access Tidal from within mconnect just like BubbleUPnP. In mconnect goto Browser, pick Tidal (if Tidal is enabled in the Cloud Setup settings), enter your Tidal credentials now you can access Tidal in mconnect and to output to Moode select the [Play to] button and pick [Moode UPNP].

@jrocker

As Kent says, this has little effect on being able to play Tidal on Moode. You can still use a UPnP client just choose Moode as the renderer instead of the library and you're good to go.
Thanks, @vinnn, I should have mentioned that some (most?) UPnP Control Point apps can access some streaming services "directly". BubbleUPnP was the first such I used on my Android phone but I see others can too. Still doesn't help for Amazon MusicHD and Primephonic, though.

Regards,
KEnt
(05-17-2020, 12:46 PM)jrocker Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 08:25 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

Meh.

Regards,
Kent

I gotta say - I’m more than a little disappointed by this.  To me, this is one of the best aspects/ features of MoOde.  Think about it.  What, some more than 170,000 tracks and growing, right your fingertips without have to maintain them, and at better than ripped quality in many, many instances...

My little group of audio friends, i.e., more than a dozen, who use this service are somewhat devastated.

If your primary interest is in high quality music service streaming and size of catalog then your audio group should consider switching to Amazon Music HD which has no DRM and all tracks are streamed in lossless FLAC encoded art 16/44.1 or higher. Their catalog consists of > 50 million tracks in 16/44.1 FLAC and millions more in 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi guys, maybe due to the Vinn suggestion, I'm able to use TIDAL service and maintain updated the info on my OLED display. 
The python code that print info on the display, retrieve them from the underlying MPD daemon. I assumed that it works only when MPD is running, in fact if I use Airplay or Squeezelite to stream audio to Moode, the python script doesn't catch any info and the display is not updated.

Few minutes ago, following suggestion of Vinn, I try to configure Tidal credentials on mLiteConnect app on my iPhone, and send the audio stream to MoodeUPNP renderer. I erroneously think that also in this case MPD  wouldn't be involved, but... magically.. the info appear on my OLED display (see in attachment), WOW !!!

It works but, my curiosity, how can be possibile? Until five minutes ago, I thought that MPD is not involved in all the cases where Moode act as pure renderer.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The drawback for me with Amazon HD is not being able to stream it to Moode over UPnP.
Airplay and Bluetooth are both inferior in sound quality and reliability, in my experience.
(05-17-2020, 03:14 PM)jonners Wrote: The drawback for me with Amazon HD is not being able to stream it to Moode over UPnP.
Airplay and Bluetooth are both inferior in sound quality and reliability, in my experience.

Agreed, Amazon HD is poor value in terms of interoperability and app features, to play Amazon HD on a Hi-Fi you'd need some form of HEOS device (terrible), Sonos (not quite as unuseable as HEOS but poor for large local collections), a Bluesound Node 2i (never tried one but their interface is meant to be one of the better proprietary ones out there), or a low quality Amazon Echo device. It seems Amazon is not forthcoming to independent developers wanting to use their API so the UPnP apps are given the cold shoulder up to now.
That and the fact that Hi-Res audio is a tiny fraction of the content on any platform, Amazon Music HD is just not that good a deal.
(05-17-2020, 03:32 PM)vinnn Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 03:14 PM)jonners Wrote: The drawback for me with Amazon HD is not being able to stream it to Moode over UPnP.

Agreed, Amazon HD is poor value in terms of interoperability and app features, to play Amazon HD on a Hi-Fi you'd need some form of HEOS device (terrible), Sonos (not quite as unuseable as HEOS but poor for large local collections), a Bluesound Node 2i (never tried one but their interface is meant to be one of the better proprietary ones out there), or a low quality Amazon Echo device. It seems Amazon is not forthcoming to independent developers wanting to use their API so the UPnP apps are given the cold shoulder up to now.
That and the fact that Hi-Res audio is a tiny fraction of the content on any platform, Amazon Music HD is just not that good a deal.

Al u need is moOde with Airplay turned on.

@jonners - Bluetooth compresses the audio b4 streaming and so naturally it would degrade the quality but Airplay streams 16/44.1 sources as 16/44.1 ALAC and so no loss of quality. For higher bit rates Airplay would down sample to 16/44.1 and so that's a drawback for enthusiasts that are into > 16/44.1 tracks.

Its not hard to imagine that Amazon will release their own casting protocol with support for to 24/192K. If they release it as Open Source then in short order there will be support in Linux. If they keep it locked up then it would require some dev to reverse engineer it as was done for Airplay and Spotify Connect.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub