Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Can you get "audiophile" sound using a native RP4 USB port into a DAC?
Jandu Wrote:Same data used on different DACs would give different sound, else, no one would make DAC that cost more than the basic one.  - different sound on same data

Companies make expensive DACs because there is a market for them.  

They don't care if you buy one because it actually sounds different, because you imagine that it sounds different, in order to impress your friends, or because it better matches your décor.  

It's the same reason why they make $650 "audiophile" Ethernet cables and sets of little stands to suspend speaker cables a few inches off of the floor.

Do you think that Machina Dynamica sold these bags of colored rocks ("Mikro-Pebbles") because taping bags of colored rocks to cables actually improves, or even changes, the sound?

[Image: mikro-pebbles.jpg]

When people expect to hear a difference, they usually will (even if there is no actual difference).  That's the basis of much of the high-end audio industry.  You stated that you believe that expensive DACs must sound different than inexpensive ones.  So they probably will sound different to you -- as long as you know which one is playing.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
As I have said in previous discussion, if you cannot hear any difference, move on. 
I suggested ideas that one can experiment and test out. Some ideas have been verified by many others such as different DACs do have different sounds and different digital cables sound different from the same music source. 
Each person has its preference of music, different perception of music. and different hearing sensitivity, so not everyone would enjoy the same sound from the same source. All I can say is, if there is a difference in sound, psychologically or actually, only the listener can be the judge. 
I am aware that there are good and bad ideas out there in this hifi world. However, I cannot judge how good/bad a piece of gear is without actually hearing it in my ears. If you had try some of these ideas and can verify that it is good, I would love to hear it. Although, the same idea may or may not have any effect on me. All I can say is, an idea not good to me does not necessary mean someone else cannot get benefits out of it. It could be a limitation of my own hearing or other bottlenecks in my system.  
I can only provide and share ideas that I have found from elsewhere which I have tried out and found to improve the sound in my system, psychologically or actually, these ideas help me to find better enjoyment of  the music.
(06-09-2021, 04:48 PM)Jandu Wrote: As I have said in previous discussion, if you cannot hear any difference, move on. 

You are getting a little big for your Junior Member britches, Jandu.  

(06-09-2021, 04:48 PM)Jandu Wrote: All I can say is, if there is a difference in sound, psychologically or actually, only the listener can be the judge. 

We don't need someone to "judge" because we can determine whether there is an audible difference through blind testing.  Show that you can hear the differences when you don't know which DAC is playing and that proves that there is an audible difference.  

(06-09-2021, 04:48 PM)Jandu Wrote: I am aware that there are good and bad ideas out there in this hifi world. However, I cannot judge how good/bad a piece of gear is without actually hearing it in my ears.

And there are audiophiles who are convinced that they heard sonic improvements by sticking bags of colored rocks in various places:

Customers Praising Bags Of Colored Rocks Wrote:
Quote:"Mikros can be used in many places effectively - on source components, amps, power supplies, Blu-tacked to HDTVs. Clear and detailed sounding, on video emphasizes a cool brightness and unhyped focus."
Quote:"Mini pebbles work great on speakers!"
Quote:"I cannot listen to my system any more without the pebbles."

Maybe they would tell you to "move on" if you cannot hear any difference.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
I feel this thread has moved past the original posters question and various points of view have been well canvassed. :-)

Closing and invite new threads if anyone wishes to expand/continue the discussion.