Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Which touch screen displays?
(05-21-2020, 11:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ................................ snip .........................

@DRONE7: Your Google-Fu is strong!

Regards,
Kent

... that's Ki-Wi-Fu for you (and me) Tongue
(05-22-2020, 06:11 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 11:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ................................ snip .........................

@DRONE7: Your Google-Fu is strong!

Regards,
Kent

... that's Ki-Wi-Fu for you (and me) Tongue

and now you've made it Brit-Fu lol...
all the best and stay safe there despite Borisness...
----------
bob
(05-20-2020, 09:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Taki8888

@vinnn's correct if you are asking about a remote device but I'm wondering if you mean specifically a touchscreen display that attaches to the RPi and serves as moOde's local display.

If so, then I'd suggest you stick with the official Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen display. It looks great visually, performs very well as a touchscreen, is compatible with the RPi electronically, and is the "reference" design for moOde's local display function.

Anything bigger and you have wasted screen space; anything smaller and you may find yourself squinting at the screen. 

The Raspberry Pi Touchscreen uses the DSI interface. I suggest you look at assembly and connection guides available online before you buy so you'll know what to expect.

An HDMI display can also be pressed into service but it's hard to find a small one at a decent price. 

For another purpose I bought a bare 3.5" HDMI LCD touchscreen display. I've tried it with moOde. It works ok but the visual quality is noticeably worse than the official RPi display and IMHO the moOdeUI is too small in it to be usable in a bookshelf display.

Regards,
Kent

I was considering the official screen and also the official case. I'm not sure the case would allow access to the GPIO pins for my IQaudIO DAC. Has anyone tried this combination?

Case: https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-...creen-case
@CoyoteMike 

When I bought my Official Raspberry Pi touchscreen years ago I also bought the SmartPi Touch 2 case from SmartiCase along with their optional back cover accessory. This cover is deep enough to accommodate a HAT. You would have to modify it  for audio connection to the HAT. Ventilation/cooling might be a problem if using this without a fan with an RPi4B; it wasn't with a RPi3B+.

See their setup instructions to get a sense of this case/cover combo.

Regards,
Kent
(12-22-2023, 01:46 PM)CoyoteMike Wrote: I was considering the official screen and also the official case. I'm not sure the case would allow access to the GPIO pins for my IQaudIO DAC. Has anyone tried this combination?
I use one almost identical; cannot remember the manufacturer, need to look for my order from a local seller... it might well be gone forever, as I bought it a good 3 years ago...
I have no HAT-DAC, just a 1TB NVMe via USB3, and an Eversolo Z8 via USB2. I just added the heat-sinks; the kit came with a small fan, which I didn't use.

Its temperature is constantly about 60 C (about 140 F). Never throttled in 3 years, constantly being powered up; only two poweroffs, one for 3 days, and one for an entire week, about one year apart. Maximum uptime was, I think, about 7 months; but then again, at the time I just needed to reboot it, didn't let it cool down, not a bit... it's a tank.