Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

HiFiBerry digi+ I/O Can't Record 24/96
Hi. New user of MoodeAudio, and really liking the playback quality so far.  But, I could use a hand ...

I am using the HiFiBerry digi+io hat with a raspberry pi4b and MoodeAudio.  I am trying to use this setup to record my vinyl collection from a digital receiver I have that has a very nice A/D converter in it.

If I feed a toslink or s/pdif coax signal in and use “arecord” with a 16 bit 44.1khz source signal and the S16_LE specifier, everything works fine into a wav file; it sounds good and I can play it with e.g., VLC. If I use a 24 bit 96khz source signal with the S24_LE specifier, toslink will record but the music is buried under wide band noise and plays slow. The coax input acts as if there is no signal. Only the S24_LE and S16_LE specifiers are available, so I can't try any of the other formats I have seen some people recommend.

Any advice?  Has anybody gotten the digi+ I/O to work with 24/96 inputs

Thanks much!
(06-15-2020, 11:30 PM)dennycrane Wrote: Hi. New user of MoodeAudio, and really liking the playback quality so far.  But, I could use a hand ...

I am using the HiFiBerry digi+io hat with a raspberry pi4b and MoodeAudio.  I am trying to use this setup to record my vinyl collection from a digital receiver I have that has a very nice A/D converter in it.

If I feed a toslink or s/pdif coax signal in and use “arecord” with a 16 bit 44.1khz source signal and the S16_LE specifier, everything works fine into a wav file; it sounds good and I can play it with e.g., VLC. If I use a 24 bit 96khz source signal with the S24_LE specifier, toslink will record but the music is buried under wide band noise and plays slow. The coax input acts as if there is no signal. Only the S24_LE and S16_LE specifiers are available, so I can't try any of the other formats I have seen some people recommend.

Any advice?  Has anybody gotten the digi+ I/O to work with 24/96 inputs

Thanks much!
That is odd.. as the format you need is S24_3LE.
This is what I use on other hardware (Thinclient and M-Audio 2496 Audiophile card) for lp ripping.

Code:
arecord -d 1680 -c 2 -f S24_3LE -r 96000 --vumeter=stereo /tmp/ramdisk/test.wav

S24_LE behaves as you have found. You may need to contact HiFiBerry and ask why there is not support for the  S24_3LE format. Is it a hardware issue ?
----------
bob
(06-16-2020, 07:01 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: That is odd.. as the format you need is S24_3LE.
This is what I use on other hardware (Thinclient and M-Audio 2496 Audiophile card) for lp ripping.

Code:
arecord -d 1680 -c 2 -f S24_3LE -r 96000 --vumeter=stereo /tmp/ramdisk/test.wav

S24_LE behaves as you have found. You may need to contact HiFiBerry and ask why there is not support for the  S24_3LE format. Is it a hardware issue ?

Thanks Drone,
I had read that was the format I needed, but it is not available (it gives me an explicit error if I try it ... says those are the only two available). I posed the question to HiFiBerry but did not get an answer of any consequence.  Maybe asking the way you did would be better.

Do you know what defines the formats available in Moode ... a) some definition in Moode driver software, b) some definition in Moode driver software sourced from HiFiBerry, or c) a query made of the board itself by the driver?  Or something else?

I wouldn't mind understanding a little more if you know.

Thanks much
The device drivers are supplied by the manufacturer as part of the Linux Kernel. There are no "moOde" drivers.

Here is the Hifiberry page that describes the device. It doesn't specify which I2S driver the board uses.
https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/...recording/

moOde uses the alsacap program to query the device for its output capabilities including what audio formats and sample rates it supports. You can run it from the cmd line.

Code:
alsacap

Here's an example from my Katana
Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ alsacap
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `Katana', name `Allo Katana'
 Device 0, ID `bcm2835-i2s-allo-katana-codec allo-katana-codec.1-0030-0', name `bcm2835-i2s-allo-katana-codec allo-katana-codec.1-0030-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
   2 channels, sampling rate 44100..384000 Hz
   Sample formats: S16_LE, S32_LE
   Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
   Period size range from 32 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

I don't know if alsacap can report the capabilities of the input side of a device.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-16-2020, 10:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The device drivers are supplied by the manufacturer as part of the Linux Kernel. There are no "moOde" drivers.

... snip ...
Thank you for the response!  That is what I suspected; i tried recording from the board on a couple of other standalone ports with identical results.  I appreciate the insight into your side of the system.
Regards
I don't have a dog in this fight but it sounds suspiciously like this issue in the Raspbian repo: 4.14: quiet, heavily distorted signal when capturing from HifiBerry Digi+I/O in S24_LE

Note the resolution of the issue.

Regards,
Kent
Nice find :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Good grief, Kent, that is the perfect find for me. I will try it tomorrow and report.

Edit: I couldn’t wait, I just tried it. Worked perfectly!  You guys are something.

Thank you.