Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
(07-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The integration issue is that ...
No argument. This isn't (and shouldn't be) all on you.

However, what I posted would be enough for a moOde user who actually had the HAT to tease sound out of it and to explore issues such as what alsamixer thinks is the name of the hardware volume control. 

I guess I'm still in my diyaudio.com mode where everybody is a hacker.

Regards,
Kent
lol, we are all still hackers :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Frank79 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: So as you can see by Hifiberry's response they are not generally interested in providing product samples or integration support to software developers.

Not to mention they now provide their own OS, which I was kindly invited to try.

This is prolly your best bet going forward with their products.
Enjoy the Music!
(07-16-2020, 01:07 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Frank79 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: So as you can see by Hifiberry's response they are not generally interested in providing product samples or integration support to software developers.

Not to mention they now provide their own OS, which I was kindly invited to try.

This is prolly your best bet going forward with their products.

I started with Volumio, but hated the way Spotify was integrated. Moode is so much better. No app installation. Everything working within the browser. 

I'm probably gonna try their home bake OS, but I'm afraid I'll be missing Moode.
Just for my curiosity:
There are a bunch of DACs and Amps from Hifiberry (13 when i count them right) currently supported by Moode.

How was the implementation for the existing Hifiberry devices done in the past?
When you usually need the device and a technical support contact to deal with, this should have been done somehow in the past i assume.

The Hifiberry DAC2 HD is an interesting HAT, however currently out of stock after the first branch obviously has been sold.
(07-24-2020, 11:49 AM)Gromit Wrote: Just for my curiosity:
There are a bunch of DACs and Amps from Hifiberry (13 when i count them right) currently supported by Moode.

When you usually need the device and a technical support contact to deal with, this should have been done somehow in the past i assume.

The Hifiberry DAC2 HD is an interesting HAT, however currently out of stock after the first branch obviously has been sold.

If you examine the contents of the cfg_audiodev table in moOde's database (/var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db) you'll see that many vendor's DACs (including a number of HiiBerry ones) use one or another of just a few basic drivers. 

Those are simple DACs with no fancy-schmantzy onboard options. Trivial to implement support for a new one in moOde. Basically just add the database line so the user can pick from the list. It's the fancy-schmantzy ones with their own drivers which need serious support from the vendor to figure out the control functions and how to implement them in moOde.

Regards,
Kent
(07-24-2020, 11:49 AM)Gromit Wrote: Just for my curiosity:

In the past Hifiberry provided support to our project including devices. Thats how I was able to implement several of their more complex devices for example the DAC+ADC.

My door is always open if a vendor or user wants to provide a device, specs and tech support :-)
Enjoy the Music!
Daniel,

I'm a bit speechless regarding your statement "I hope you understand that we can't scan dozens of forums of all kinds of distributions for the Pi" because it implies that you think that our project somehow has all this spare time to monitor dozens of vendors and then contact each of them for every new device to integrate.

We get great support from other vendors without having to monitor them or solicit for sample products so I'll just leave it at that.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(07-24-2020, 01:39 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: If you examine the contents of the cfg_audiodev table in moOde's database (/var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db) you'll see that many vendor's DACs (including a number of HiiBerry ones) use one or another of just a few basic drivers. 

Those are simple DACs with no fancy-schmantzy onboard options. Trivial to implement support for a new one in moOde. Basically just add the database line so the user can pick from the list. It's the fancy-schmantzy ones with their own drivers which need serious support from the vendor to figure out the control functions and how to implement them in moOde.

Regards,
Kent

I might try what you suggest. Here are the lines of code relative to the HifiBerry products:

Code:
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (58, 'HIFI DAC', 'Burr Brown PCM5102A', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (59, 'HIFI DAC+', 'Burr Brown PCM5122', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dacplus', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (60, 'HIFI Digi', 'Wolfson WM8804G', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-digi', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (61, 'HIFI Digi+', 'Wolfson WM8804G', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-digi', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (62, 'HiFiBerry Amp(Amp+)', 'Burr Brown TAS5713', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-amp', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (63, 'HiFiBerry Amp2', 'Burr Brown TAS5756M', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dacplus', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (64, 'HiFiBerry Beocreate', 'Burr Brown PCM4104 DAC, TPA3128 Amp, Analog Devices ADAU1451 DSP', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (65, 'HiFiBerry DAC', 'Burr Brown PCM5102A', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (66, 'HiFiBerry DAC/DAC+ Zero', 'Burr Brown PCM5101A', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (67, 'HiFiBerry DAC+', 'Burr Brown PCM5122', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dacplus', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (68, 'HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC', 'Burr Brown PCM5122, PCM1861 ADC', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dacplusadc', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (69, 'HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP', 'Burr Brown PCM5102A, Analog Devices ADAU1451 DSP', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (70, 'HiFiBerry DAC+ Light', 'ESS Sabre ES9023', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (71, 'HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro', 'Burr Brown PCM5122', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dacplus', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (72, 'HiFiBerry Digi(Digi+)', 'Cirrus Logic WM8804', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-digi', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (73, 'HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro', 'Cirrus Logic WM8804', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-digi-pro', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (74, 'HiFiBerry MiniAmp', 'Burr Brown PCM5101A, Diodes PAM8403', '', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');

From what I understand, the line for the DAC2 HD should look like this:
Code:
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (75, 'HiFiBerry DAC2 HD', 'Burr Brown PCM1796', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac2-hd', '');

The only value I'm actually not sure about is for the driver column. I put hifiberry-dac2-hd in my example, but that's only a guess based on what can be found in the driver column for the already existing HifiBerry products.
Couldn't find any information about required drivers. I might as well left generic hifiberry-dac value, but new DAC2 HD might not work properly with old drivers.

Balena Etchering lastest release of Moode on a microSD right now. Will keep you informed.
@Frank79

That's the DIY spirit! Just keep in mind that you're as likely to fail as to succeed. Not that much different from my dad swapping tubes in the family TV with whatever he had on hand. It's what he liked to call "heat it and beat it engineering".  Sometimes it worked.

Regards,
Kent

[UPDATE] There's a dac driver overlay in the current moOde named "hifiberry-dacplushd". That's the one I'd try were I in your shoes. To repeat, though, we have no idea what options and control functions are exposed in this driver.