Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Raspberry pi 3b + Breeze Audio SU3B - DSD
Hello,
  I bought a Breeze Audio SU3B DAC.  As I understand it, he has XMOS XU208 for connecting to USB.  DAC itself - es9038pro.  The description says that the DAC supports DSD.  But when connected to Raspberry pi 3b with Moode 6.5.2, this DAC does not play DSD.  Only with software conversion "on the fly" in PCM.

The reason for the lack of support in the Linux kernel?  Does anyone have a DAC with XMOS XU208?  Does it play DSD?  How did you manage to configure it?  
Thank you!
The XMOS XU208 is widely used as the USB controller in these DACs.

As one example, I have a Khadas Tone Board which uses it. I didn't have to "configure" it.

However, note that software volume control isn't useful with DSD material. Either 100 percent or disabled works with my DAC. Hardware volume control doesn't work because it's not exposed through the USB interface and/or standard Linux USB driver as far as I know.

Regards,
Kent
(06-27-2020, 07:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: However, note that software volume control isn't useful with DSD material. Either 100 percent or disabled works with my DAC. Hardware volume control doesn't work because it's not exposed through the USB interface and/or standard Linux USB driver as far as I know.

Thanks for the answer!  I'll try to adjust the volume manually.  Although when playing PCM, the volume is normally adjusted through Moode.
(06-27-2020, 07:53 PM)Igorf11 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 07:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: However, note that software volume control isn't useful with DSD material. Either 100 percent or disabled works with my DAC. Hardware volume control doesn't work because it's not exposed through the USB interface and/or standard Linux USB driver as far as I know.

Thanks for the answer!  I'll try to adjust the volume manually.  Although when playing PCM, the volume is normally adjusted through Moode.

Looks like you need to do some homework. PCM and DSD are entirely different animals.

Regards,
Kent
(06-27-2020, 08:00 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 07:53 PM)Igorf11 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 07:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: However, note that software volume control isn't useful with DSD material. 
Indeed, if I set the volume control to "disabled", DSD plays.  Thank you very much!  

Only for some reason, when playing DSD, strong interference is periodically heard, possibly from the power supply or Raspberry pi.  But this is the problem of the DAC itself.