Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Upgrade from Pi 3 to Pi 4 -- just move the Micro SD?
Question 
I've got a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4B (2GB) on order to upgrade my moOde server.  Can I just move the Micro SD from the old Pi 3B+ to the Pi 4B, thus retaining all of the settings and data?  Or does moOde go through some kind of self-configuration when it is first run in order to adapt to the model of Pi on which it is running?

My reasons for upgrading are performance-related.  I want to go from wireless to wired networking.  The 4B is much faster on wired Ethernet and its Ethernet port does not share a bus with the USB ports, one of which which I am using with my DAC.  Because my music is stored on a NAS (8 x 3GB RAID 6), speeding up the network connection should yield more benefits for me than it does for someone who stores their music on a drive local to their moOde server.  Everything from the moOde web-based UI to the music being played is moving over the network in my setup.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
Ya just move SD Card to new Pi and you should be all set.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-02-2020, 02:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Ya just move SD Card to new Pi and you should be all set.

Thanks, Tim, for that quick answer and all of your hard work.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
(07-02-2020, 02:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Ya just move SD Card to new Pi and you should be all set.

Hopefully we'll be able to 'burn' moode 6.6 to a USB disk and boot it from a Pi 4 with a suitably updated boot ROM.

Phil

My experience with USB boot is that it's a lot slower than SDCard.
Enjoy the Music!
The USB3 on the Pi4 should be as fast if not faster than sd-card ?
----------
bob
(07-02-2020, 06:08 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: The USB3 on the Pi4 should be as fast if not faster than sd-card ?

And a lot more reliable than SD cards. I just like the idea of attaching an SSD containing both Moode and my music files to a Pi 4 and ditching the SD card.

Cheers,

Phil

I've rarely has any issues with SD Card reliability and my cards get totally hammered with writes during development and release cycles. IME good quality SD Cards are super reliable especially under normal usage with something like moOde.

The main issue with combining OS and data on a single storage medium is that a new image means reloading the data. Maybe thats not such a big deal with fast SSD's, I dunno.
Enjoy the Music!
(07-02-2020, 06:51 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I've rarely has any issues with SD Card reliability and my cards get totally hammered with writes during development and release cycles. IME good quality SD Cards are super reliable especially under normal usage with something like moOde.

The main issue with combining OS and data on a single storage medium is that a new image means reloading the data. Maybe thats not such a big deal with fast SSD's, I dunno.

That's a good point about rebuilds.

My experience with SD cards hasn't been as good as yours, alas. I have had several SanDisk SDs and one Samsung EVO fail on me.

Cheers,

Phil

I've found sd reliable.. never had one die (though have misplaced several !  I find my eyes not as sharp nor my fingers as nimble for using micro sd)

My preference for booting from a flash drive is more for convenience... I can tie a tag on a flashdrive and write what o/s version or contents are on it and throw it in a drawer until needed next.
Much easier to find, identify, and keep track of than a micro SD-card.

For preference I would use a flashdrive to boot, an ssd for music then major Moode updates are easily done without affecting music storage.
----------
bob