Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

WiFi dongles
I am using RPi 4b. WiFi connectivity is a bit flaky. Sometimes connects when I power up sometimes goes into AP mode. I was thinking of trying a WiFi dongle in one of the usb ports. Are there any particular ones that will work better with Moode software?
Comfast CF912AC works great for me and both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are included in moOde as part of the support for the Allo SIG :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-12-2020, 10:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Comfast CF912AC works great for me and both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are included in moOde as part of the support for the Allo SIG :-)

I actually found an old 802.11b/g D-Link in the bottom of a drawer and it works. Sort of....

I did a GUI Shutdown and then inserted D Link. Then rebooted and it seemed to work. But I wasn't sure if it was using the USB dongle or the internal wifi. So I shutdown the integrated wifi adaptor in the GUI and did another GUI Shutdown.

Powered back up and the wifi dongle had no lights on it and I could not get to Moode GUI. Assumed the RPi 4 was not going to connect and I'd have to re0install Moode as I now had no means of connecting because all the internal adaptors were turned off.

Just to check I did a hard reboot (power off and on) obviously no GUI involved. It came back up with wifi dongle functional. With a great signal strength. Moode works perfectly. 

To test I then did a GUI shutdown. Then restarted. No wifi.

Then did a hard off and on again and wfi dongle works again. 

It only seems to work if it is hard rebooted.

Any idea why please?

note - using 6.6.0
I bought a TP-Link TL-WN823N dongle as the one mentioned above was not available in uk until mid August.

This doesn't work at all.

Was my original question too obvious or too much of a novice question?

Also why will the tp-link not work at all?
(07-15-2020, 10:16 PM)Eddy2020 Wrote: I bought a TP-Link TL-WN823N dongle as the one mentioned above was not available in uk until mid August.

This doesn't work at all.

Was my original question too obvious or too much of a novice question?

Also why will the tp-link not work at all?

You need a driver for it.

Have a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...p?t=271924

As a general rule, WiFi adapters first and foremost are developed and sold for Windows systems. Over the years, LInux (and hence) Raspbian support for WiFi has gotten better but it still pays to your homework before buying an adapter you haven't seen discussed as working on your target system.

Regards,
Kent
If there's anyone still looking for an answer or solution to this challenge: I bought an ALFA AWUS036NHA usb wi-fi adapter and it works perfectly with Moode 7.0.1 + Raspberry Pi4 + 2.5 amp PSU. Increasing my signal from barely usable to quality 97%, level -42 dBm.

I'd prepared myself for the bother of installing drivers and tweaking this and that but in the end it was just plug-and-play. All I needed to do was disable my Pi's Integrated Wi-Fi adapter in the Moode settings and the USB adapter became the default. Moode really is pretty wonderful, isn't it?

I also used Moode's handy terminal (and the command below) to disable the blue flashing LED which would otherwise have driven me crazy. To do the same you'll need to find the adapter's folder name in sys/class/leds.

echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/foldername/brightness

Hope this helps someone.
(01-12-2021, 06:43 PM)blueboy Wrote: If there's anyone still looking for an answer or solution to this challenge: I bought an ALFA AWUS036NHA usb wi-fi adapter and it works perfectly with Moode 7.0.1 + Raspberry Pi4 + 2.5 amp PSU. Increasing my signal from barely usable to quality 97%, level -42 dBm.

I'd prepared myself for the bother of installing drivers and tweaking this and that but in the end it was just plug-and-play. All I needed to do was disable my Pi's Integrated Wi-Fi adapter in the Moode settings and the USB adapter became the default. Moode really is pretty wonderful, isn't it?

I also used Moode's handy terminal (and the command below) to disable the blue flashing LED which would otherwise have driven me crazy. To do the same you'll need to find the adapter's folder name in sys/class/leds.

echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/foldername/brightness

Hope this helps someone.

can't find option to disable  Pi's Integrated Wi-Fi adapter in the Moode settings. Is it in Network tab?

After installing wifi adapter, Moode has 2 different IP addresses,  so I guess both integrated and usb  wifi  are active
You prolly have one of the newer Pi-4's and these revision codes are not programmed into the 7.0.1 release of moOde. There would be a log entry of "Unknown Pi" in the Moode startup log. The code families are used to determine which options are available for example the settings to enable/disable the integrated WiFi/BT adapters.

In upcoming 7.1.0 release we have changed from a foxed revision code table to decoding the revision code bitmask. This will solve the issue of newly release Pi's being flagged as "Unknown Pi".
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub