Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Streaming turntable to receiver
Hi guys,

I've been thinking on getting a pi with a hifiberry DAC+ADC. I would connect the phono preamp to the audio to get my turntable integrated into the system.
Moode seems like a nice system to make the center of the music experience because I can also stream the music from my NAS. Now I use Kodi on an Nvidia shield but the TV need to be on to use it.

The thing is: my future turntable will not be near my receiver due to not having enough room. So my idea was to capture the audio out using something like BUTT or liquid soap and combining it with icecast to make a local internetradio stream. That way I can use my current receiver to listen to, for example, my records.

Do you guys think this is possible?

Thanks in advance!
I would just get a long, high quality signal cable to connect the new TT to the DAC+ADC
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I know, but there is the 'wife factor' that needs to be taking into account ;-)
Got it.
Enjoy the Music!
Nice and dry Smile

Do you think it will be a problem to use this kind of setup?
I already found a blog of someone doing this, sans moodeaudio. I was just wondering if installing something like icecast is possible if I install moodeaudio that runs on raspberry is?
I dunno, I'm not familiar with the packages you mentioned. I suppose you will just have to try installing and configuring them and then see if there is any breakage.
Enjoy the Music!
This seems to be one solution...requires another Pi.. stream to MoOde. ?
https://medium.com/@dupontgu/how-to-stre...044368a240
----------
bob
I used to have this exact setup. Turntable to ADC (I used this one since it has a handy input volume knob). The analog music was converted to a 32/96000 pipe. I simply streamed that with ssh directly to ALSA on the other raspberry pi. I think that’s the most direct way to do this. It’s basically one line of code:

Code:
arecord -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 96000 -t raw | ssh -C pi@otherpi.local aplay -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 96000

It worked quite well. It was a nice little box with a physical volume knob and an on/off button.

In the end it was just a bit too buggy. So I switched to a cable. Much more stable (-:
(07-22-2020, 08:08 PM)Vasilis Wrote: I used to have this exact setup. Turntable to ADC (I used this one since it has a handy input volume knob). The analog music was converted to a 32/96000 pipe. I simply streamed that with ssh directly to ALSA on the other raspberry pi. I think that’s the most direct way to do this. It’s basically one line of code:

Code:
arecord -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 96000 -t raw | ssh -C pi@otherpi.local aplay -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 96000

It worked quite well. It was a nice little box with a physical volume knob and an on/off button.

In the end it was just a bit too buggy. So I switched to a cable. Much more stable (-:

There is only one I2S bus on the RPi. If the digitized analog signals wants to be played back by the local I2S DAC on the same I2S bus, the involved device drivers need to handle this. If the existing Raspbian OS's I2S driver can do this, a new high level driver should be written for the sound board to handle the ADC and DAC chips together.
(07-22-2020, 08:08 PM)Vasilis Wrote: I used to have this exact setup. Turntable to ADC (I used this one since it has a handy input volume knob). The analog music was converted to a 32/96000 pipe. I simply streamed that with ssh directly to ALSA on the other raspberry pi. I think that’s the most direct way to do this. It’s basically one line of code:

Code:

You cabled the turntable directly to a Pi or you cabled between the 2 Pi (ethernet vs wifi) ? which is your meaning ?
----------
bob