Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Allo Katana DAC
Generally speaking, the DAC chip itself is maybe 20% contributor to the overall SQ from a DAC. The majority contributors are (1) the circuitry that produces stable, low noise power for the other circuits in the device, (2) the circuit that provides signal clocking and (3) the analog output stage.

On all these fronts the multi-board Katana stack architecture is light years ahead of any single-board HAT DAC. There is only so much that can be done on a single, small HAT board. The other contributor to overall SQ are the external power supplies feeding the DAC. These also need to provide stable, low noise power.

As far as product issues the real measure is whether the company fixes them, makes their customers whole and then improves their QC. You would be surprised to know how many of the popular HAT DAC's have hardware defects, buggy drivers or drivers that the manufacturer won't invest the time and money into to get accepted into the Linux kernel.

Allo's goal with Katana is to achieve SQ comparable to DAC's in the $1000 price bracket. If they meet that goal then its a huge win for enthusiasts :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-27-2018, 10:34 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi,

Here's a few pics of Katana 1.2 :-)

Each board in the stack is listed below.

Microcontroller
Analog Output (SQ optimized version)
Katana DAC (ES9038Q2M in Master mode)
Isolator 1.2 
Raspberry Pi-3A+

…….  

-Tim
Looks really nice. Just wished Allo sold the complete Katana set including the rotary encoder. Would be a nice upgrade - removing the need for a preamp.
For sure that would be icing on the cake :-)

Allo's Katana driver and micro controller board provide access to the low- distortion digital volume controller on the ES9038 chip thus making a rotary encoder a cheap way to get a super HQ volume attenuator.

It took me half a day to fab up the Acrylic mount for the encoder. I actually cannibalized one of the case panels to make the backing structure then used some leftover MoodeCase front panels that already had the double-D through hole and locking slot.

I'll post some pics later today of the stack and the encoder mount w/o the enclosure.

Just loving the DIY :-))
Enjoy the Music!
(11-27-2018, 10:34 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It was apparent after listening to the first few albums that sound quality was in another league compared to my other DAC's. What struck me right away was bass quality, detail/realism and a very pleasing analog-like overall sound. I played Classical and Jazz Guitar for many years and I know how certain instruments sound and what I heard was very realistic and very dynamic :-))

-Tim

Hi Tim

this is my best description of Katana. Realistic .
Hi moOde fans,
 :@
We suggest starting with 2 PSU one for RPI/isolatar and one for ucontroller/Katana and as you want to get more , you can use 3 PSUs
Hi moOde fans,
 :@
I use 2 PSU's connected to a power strip and turn them on simultaneously and no issues.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi,

Another nice feature of Katana are the ES9038 chip options that are made available by the Katana driver to Linux/ALSA.

There are 7 built in Oversampling Filters (OSF). These digital filters are designed to remove artifacts (distortions) created by the sampling process and they affect frequencies > 20 kHz. Each filter performs its task using a different set of tradeoffs for removing artifacts. There are tradeoffs because there is no perfect method to remove all distortion. Same is true in the analog domain.

Since the filters affect frequencies > 20 kHz (1/2 the Nyquist frequency of CD or higher digital audio) its totally YMMV whether their individual characteristics will be audible.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim

what filter you like best ?