Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

New user updating Pi firmware
(07-26-2020, 01:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Leviathan

Typically that type of message pops up during an upgrade when a package includes a configuration file which can be modified by the user. The safe answer is almost always keep the existing version. IIRC there was no need to do this upgrade just to update your RPi4B firmware. I believe the kernel files in the most recent releases of moOde are up to date in this regard (But, hey, I've been known to be wrong before so check.)

The ssh login credentials are the same as the user account credentials if you haven't done something baroque already (which would imply a level of linux knowledge you profess not to have).

See any online Linux-beginner blogs telling how to change the password for an existing user. 

Changing the user name in the sense you seem to imply (e.g., "pi" -> "something") is doable but not for beginners (it's hard in Windows too). 

It's modestly easy as user "pi" 1) to create a new user with a suitable password, 2) to give that user ssh privileges AND to add that user to the list of sudoers, and 3) to deny ssh privileges for user "pi". Better do it right and in the right order or you might end up being locked out. I don't see the point of doing it. It's the password and not the username which gives a modicum of protection.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
The sole reason for upgrading the firmware was because of the apparent reduction in power draw/heat output on the Pi4. Given that my recent purchase of an Allo BOSS DAC doesn’t sit nicely with fixing a heatsink on the CPU (a capacitor? on the underside of the HAT is in the way), I thought it best I tried to reduce heat build up as far as possible to prevent throttling back of the processor.

Messages In This Thread
New user updating Pi firmware - by Leviathan - 07-26-2020, 09:37 AM
RE: New user updating Pi firmware - by vmirmow - 07-26-2020, 12:21 PM
RE: New user updating Pi firmware - by Leviathan - 07-27-2020, 01:24 PM
RE: New user updating Pi firmware - by Leviathan - 07-27-2020, 01:28 PM
RE: New user updating Pi firmware - by Tim Curtis - 07-27-2020, 02:02 PM