Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Chromecast audio
(03-08-2019, 02:27 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 01:09 AM)Edward Wrote: Here is another Chromecast developers link with instructions for 'anyone' to apply and build apps/sofware to use Chromecast.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/caf_receiver/

Don't know how difficult this might be, but Google tends to do a good job at setting up dev's for success.  This addition would solve pretty much all the issues with connecting to pretty much all music services. Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz etc all have Chromecast support.

Might be worth a second look?

Fortunately, we already have support for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music in the form of third-party projects librespot and upmpdcli. 

Good thing, 'cuz nothing about the referenced material suggests this would be a cake walk. If it were, we'd already see third-party Chromecast receiver projects we could consider integrating.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

True librespot for Spotify seems pretty solid, but upmpdli is not an elegant approach and needs another app like Bubbleupnp

I agree it doesn't seem like a cake-walk but then a few second glance might not tell the whole story.

Either way, no harm in asking...for a new feature in a feature request thread right.
Never hurts to ask :-)

The challenge with Google is that Chromecast "Open Source" is still very opaque and not accessible like librespot, shairport-sync, squeezelite, upmpdcli, or blueZ.

If Google hosted a Chromecast receiver Git repo it would be a different story.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-08-2019, 03:52 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If Google hosted a Chromecast receiver Git repo it would be a different story.

You mean like this?

Official - Google Cast · GitHub
Samples for Google Cast SDKs. Google Cast Developers Community
https://github.com/googlecast

Reference Receiver: CastReceiver shows how to develop a fully Cast Design Checklist compliant receiver with additional features.
https://github.com/googlecast/CastReceiver

***Leg work seems to already be done***
AirConnect: Send audio to UPnP/Sonos/Chromecast players using AirPlay
https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Smile
Thats great :-) All that's needed is a dev that is willing to volunteer their time and expertise to build the receiver and then I can integrate the binary into moOde as an additional renderer.
Enjoy the Music!
Spent the whole day yesterday playing with this....almost got it to work.

Packages installed after some doing but I can't see it over the network. I used a testbed Rpi with MoOde installed, I think there might be a conflict or something. Going to try a fresh Debian install with nothing else installed
Any error messages?
Enjoy the Music!
(03-08-2019, 02:27 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Fortunately, we already have support for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music in the form of third-party projects librespot and upmpdcli. 

Good thing, 'cuz nothing about the referenced material suggests this would be a cake walk. If it were, we'd already see third-party Chromecast receiver projects we could consider integrating.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

For all those streaming services you mentioned (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music  - add Deezer too...), Google Cast allows you to use the official apps for these streaming services (both Android and iOS) and cast to Chromecast devices...

The official apps for all these streaming services are significantly better than 3rd party apps and are continuously being updated and improved.

Yes fortunately we do have Spotify Connect available in Moode. 

But Chromecast opens the floodgates to all streaming services official apps, except Apple Music (but we already have Shairport working for Airplay).
(03-10-2019, 11:39 AM)Me2018 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:27 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Fortunately, we already have support for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music in the form of third-party projects librespot and upmpdcli. 

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

For all those streaming services you mentioned (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music  - add Deezer too...), Google Cast allows you to use the official apps for these streaming services (both Android and iOS) and cast to Chromecast devices...

The official apps for all these streaming services are significantly better than 3rd party apps and are continuously being updated and improved.

But Chromecast opens the floodgates to all streaming services official apps, except Apple Music (but we already have Shairport working for Airplay).

I think you missed my point. It's not that a Chromecast renderer wouldn't be desirable; it's that it isn't available in a form Tim (or anyone else) can use.

My statement was that Google has not made it easy to develop a Chromecast renderer. This was not based on a 'few second glance' at references. I based this statement on my read of the materials Google has made available and also on the paucity of open-source projects which have turned those materials into working renderers. Compare this to the large number of open-source projects which have created Chromecast broadcasters. [The reason for this asymmetry is obvious if you follow the money.]

If Edward can crack this nut, great. Whatever is done will have to be continuously updated as well just as the librespot and upmpdcli projects are.

Fortunately, we have alternative ways to access the commercial music sources while we wait.

Regards,
Kent
(03-10-2019, 12:18 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:39 AM)Me2018 Wrote:

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

I think you missed my point. It's not that a Chromecast renderer wouldn't be desirable; it's that it isn't available in a form Tim (or anyone else) can use.

My statement was that Google has not made it easy to develop a Chromecast renderer. This was not based on a 'few second glance' at references. I based this statement on my read of the materials Google has made available and also on the paucity of open-source projects which have turned those materials into working renderers. Compare this to the large number of open-source projects which have created Chromecast broadcasters. [The reason for this asymmetry is obvious if you follow the money.]

If Edward can crack this nut, great. Whatever is done will have to be continuously updated as well just as the librespot and upmpdcli projects are.

Fortunately, we have alternative ways to access the commercial music sources while we wait.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent.

Yes I'm aware it's not available in a form Tim can't use. I know because I've asked several high end manufacturers about this and they say they same thing. And it's no coincidence these same manufacturers do support Spotify Connect and UPnP, for the reasons you noted.

3rd party access to these streaming services is certainly better than nothing - without question.

But Chromecast would potentially be the most used renderer of all because as I mentioned, literally ALL music streaming services (other than Apple Music) can cast direct to Chromecast renderers - direct from the official apps. No need to use a 3rd party app (that doesn't look as nice and is missing certain features only the official app supports). Not an issue with Apple Music of course, since Shairport is widely available.

Anyway yes, we have to patiently wait. It's only a matter of time.

Until then, plenty of music to listen to and enjoy.
Just wanted to revisit this. I've been working on getting upmpdcli to actually work with the new gmusicapi oauth_login, but I'm not versed in python, and am really just taking shots in the dark. I have put in a request with the upmpdcli dev, but haven't heard back yet.

Chromecast would also be a great option, if it can be easily integrated. I'd be happy to test if someone is working on this.