Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Chromecast audio
(03-29-2022, 09:27 AM)Tantor Wrote: Hi Kent thank you for the answer. I understand that the android app acts as a sender to a piece of software on a Raspberry under Raspbian.

https://www.makeuseof.com › tag
How to Make Your Own DIY Chromecast With a Raspberry Pi - MakeUseOf

I misunderstood what you meant by "adapted to moOde."

The referenced 2-year old article begins "Let me explain how to use your Raspberry Pi like a DIY Chromecast with Raspicast" and proceeds to direct the user to install omxplayer on the RPi. (This requirement can also be found in the Raspbicast app description in the Google Play Store.)

So, the question really is, can omxplayer be adapted to moOde.

Turns out omxplayer has been deprecated by its developer, is not supported, and is not available as a .deb package in the Raspberry Pi OS bullseye release (on which moOde 8 is built). The dev is contributing to the improvement of VLC instead.

It's still possible for an artful hacker to make omxplayer work in bullseye, at least for audio streams and at least for now. Since the entire moOde codebase is available on github, an interested dev could explore turning omxplayer into a "Raspbicast" renderer akin to the Spotifiy renderer, etc. 

It isn't clear to me whether omxplayer would work against a true Chromecast sender so the result likely would have very limited appeal.

Regards,
Kent
Ok, it is clear, many thanks for your explanation.