Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Upcoming moOde 7 series
It's been on the TODO list for a long while but keeps getting bumped down in priority by other items like the nice resampling options or the upcoming new Radio view.

One of the challenges with giving "CD play" priority is that most of the energy and direction in the computer audio space is toward music collections that exist as files that have been either been ripped from CD's or obtained in other ways.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,
Of course, the priority task is "up to you"; please let me express my opinion: the CD playback function could complete the "AUDIO CENTER". The tuner is no longer needed, the CD player is no longer needed, etc.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply.
Best regards,
Francesco
(08-06-2020, 12:10 AM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi Tim,
Of course, the priority task is "up to you"; please let me express my opinion: the CD playback function could complete the "AUDIO CENTER". The tuner is no longer needed, the CD player is no longer needed, etc.
Best regards,
Francesco

... as you said << The tuner is no longer needed, the CD player is no longer needed  >> ... the attention is turned towards  handling stored digital files.

Serious CD collectors will also have a seriously good (and expensive) standalone CD player...
@CallMeMike  
Quote:The tuner is no longer needed, the CD player is no longer needed

My interpretation is that the O/P is saying that MoOde has great webradio, it could also have a cd player making it the O/P's definition of a replacement for an "AUDIO CENTER" Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo

Quote:Serious CD collectors will also have a seriously good (and expensive) standalone CD player...

These are few and far between, and more expensive as the days go by.. My own is bested in every way by a ripped file replayed through MoOde.

So....I'm in accord with @fdealexa as the cd-player script that Kent (@TheOldPresbyope ) provides is a great way to audition newly acquired cds before ripping and for use with 'less than computer literate household members.. Angel'
----------
bob
(08-06-2020, 12:10 AM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi Tim,
Best regards,
Francesco

Why not just rip the CD's to FLAC which would also eliminate the need for a CD player?

It typically only takes a few minutes per CD and it gives you the opportunity to choose nice cover art and set the metadata tags just the way you want them for your collection. Building a digital music collection is also a great way to weed out all the CD's that aren't really worth the time to rip.
Enjoy the Music!
There's two aspects to integrating the CDPlay work Ashley and I did last summer into moOde.

1) the basic mechanics of detecting the insertion of a music CD, the counting of tracks, the insertion of the tracks into the queue, starting/stopping/advancing/rewinding the drive, and similar low-level activity. This aspect is straightforward and is dealt with in the little bundle I nailed up in my github repo. It takes only a few minutes for anyone to install.

2) the presentation of the CD function and its tracks in the moOde UI. Conceptually this seems easy. From a programmatic perspective it requires some artful tomfoolery. To get from the Version 0 code currently in my repo to the Version 1 I described there requires both a design and an implementation.

To me, the design has to be both functional and attractive and I found myself running out of ideas. Functionally, all the UI has to do is present the single lines "track 1", "track 2", ... However, it takes work to fit this attractively into the existing UI, which is strongly oriented toward presenting multiple lines of metadata. I found myself always questioning why I was doing work to poke the UI in the eye instead of just ripping the few interesting CDs which occasionally still came my way. (Usually, CDs I buy directly from the artists at live events. Soloists and small groups need all the support they can get.)

I'm not a designer but even I didn't like the looks of my efforts. I even had to abandon the cute CDDA coverart I created because CDDA turns out to be a registered trademark protected in perpetuity and I couldn't find FOSS imagery worth using.

It also became clear from my experiences ripping CDs that my hypothesized Version 2 was likely not going to be satisfactory. Auto-magically filling in metadata from public online resources is a big fail, at least for the kinds of music I'm interested in. Manual intervention is required in many cases. That's OK for ripping; not OK for a one-off play. One has to buy into the commercial Gracenote service to get trustworthy and consistent results (they provide the info you see in your car entertainment system, for example). That's a nonstarter for Tim as an independent developer and I don't know if individual users can buy into it. Even with a subscription in hand, there's the coding necessary to integrate the service. Meh.

So here we are. Tim has a slew of more important items on his TODO list. I find myself having little enthusiasm for doing more than I've already done. Any volunteers out there?

Regards,
Kent
@Tim Curtis
Hi Tim,
That's right (I already do it), but, sometime don't you wish to listen an old LP or a CD, as mentioned by "DRONE7" (provides is a great way to audition newly acquired cds before ripping and for use with 'less than computer literate household members).
Thanks for the discussion and best regards,
Francesco
@TheOldPresbyope
Hi Kent,
I have just finish to work, I retired, and so I have enough time to dedicate to the project. Unfortunatelly, I don't have the correct skills.
Let's try to talk about it and figure out the micro activities, the skills and the relative owners.
Thank you very much and best regards,
Francesco
The Playlist gets a new Appearance option for showing thumbs :-) This contribution is compliments of @bitlab.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Enjoy the Music!
(08-06-2020, 03:48 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The Playlist gets a new Appearance option for showing thumbs :-) This contribution is compliments of @bitlab.

nope. way too cluttered.

will we get the option to keep the Playlist screen as it is?