Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide Updating from 6.4.2 to latest
Is there a "how to" on how to update from 6.4.2 to the latest? My understanding is that after 6.4.2, I cannot use the "Check for Update" function in the MoOde GUI to update and I need to do a new image.

That's fine, BUT, I spent a lot of time tweaking settings, and have a big music library on the micro-SD card. Is there a step-by-step somewhere that details how to import my settings and how to restore my library after flashing a new image?

thank you.
(08-08-2020, 02:50 PM)Meestor_X Wrote: Is there a "how to" on how to update from 6.4.2 to the latest? My understanding is that after 6.4.2, I cannot use the "Check for Update" function in the MoOde GUI to update and I need to do a new image.

That's fine, BUT, I spent a lot of time tweaking settings, and have a big music library on the micro-SD card. Is there a step-by-step somewhere that details how to import my settings and how to restore my library after flashing a new image?

thank you.

The short answer is "no."

The longer answer to the first part of your question regarding settings is that it has been asked and answered many times over the years. No one has taken up the challenge of designing and writing code to export and import settings reliably across different versions of moOde. Search the forum for posts about why this is not a trivial exercise.

For a few basic settings, it's possible to use the one-time-on-first-boot moode-cfg.txt file described in the setup.txt file, but not for all possible settings.

The longer answer to the second part of your questions regarding a large library on your microSD card is that none of us ever recommend using large capacity cards as an onboard library. Certainly, every time this subject comes up I have counseled against it.

Since you already have the library on the card, you'll have to copy it off to some other media before flashing the new moOde image. Obvious choices include a USB thumbdrive, a USB HD/SSD, or a NAS. I presume the library contents are in the root filesystem under the /mnt/SDCARD directory.

Regards,
Kent
Thank you, Kent.

Getting the music library back is pretty easy in comparison to getting all my settings back. (Simply time consuming) I understand that it's not ideal, but having it all-in-one without any external USB is very handy, especially since large-capacity micro-SD cards are dirt cheap.

I'll have a look at the moode-cfg.txt file and see if that illuminates how to import those settings across. If you know of any threads discussing this, please point them out.

Appreciate the help!