Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Library (media server) not shown completely
Hello,

I just installed moOde on a Raspi 3B and - in principle -  it works great.
With the help of other user's questions here in this forum I finally managed to attach a media server folder. Big Grin
Unfortunately a library update does not show all albums. Only the first couple (~20) of artists
are visible/accessible. The log file shows no error (from my p.o.v.) and it states that >1000 folders have been processed.
(On the server there are images as well. So the number of processed folders might include image folders.)
The mdp log just ends after this few number of albums without any complains... I'm puzzled Huh

Since I'm absolutely not familiar with such operating systems I'm having a hard time to dig deeper
into details. So I hope some of you experts could help.

Btw, running the library update over and over again changes the found albums slightly. But I never
managed to get the whole database.

Many thanks in advance,
Timo
The Library update runs two processes in parallel. The first is the MPD database update routine which scans the music collection for song files and builds a tag index. The second is the thumb nail generator (thmcache) which scans the music collection album directories for images embedded in the song files or for image files (folder.jpg, cover.jpg, etc).

The Moode log entries don't explicitly show the MPD database update statistics, only those from "thmcache" which refer to the number of album directories scanned for images. For example:

Code:
20200810 072545 worker: Job update_library
20200810 072545 thmcache: Start
20200810 072545 thmcache: Scanning: NAS, SDCARD, UPNP
20200810 072555 thmcache: Done: 352 album dirs processed
20200810 072609 worker: Job update_library done

To find out what MPD database update has done its necessary to look at the MPD log.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

To get a clean, first run log do the following.

1. Menu, Configure, System
2. CLEAR System logs
3. Menu, Update library

After Library update completes (no spinner)

4. cat /var/log/mpd/log

Look for evidence that all your songs were indexed. There will be a log entry for each song file. If not all of them were successfully indexed then look for errors.

NOTE that moOde's Library is based on tags in the song files. If the tags are missing or incorrect then the Library will not be correct.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-10-2020, 11:43 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The Library update runs two processes in parallel. The first is the MPD database update routine which scans the music collection for song files and builds a tag index. The second is the thumb nail generator (thmcache) which scans the music collection album directories for images embedded in the song files or for image files (folder.jpg, cover.jpg, etc).

The Moode log entries don't explicitly show the MPD database update statistics, only those from "thmcache" which refer to the number of album directories scanned for images. For example:

Code:
20200810 072545 worker: Job update_library
20200810 072545 thmcache: Start
20200810 072545 thmcache: Scanning: NAS, SDCARD, UPNP
20200810 072555 thmcache: Done: 352 album dirs processed
20200810 072609 worker: Job update_library done

To find out what MPD database update has done its necessary to look at the MPD log.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

To get a clean, first run log do the following.

1. Menu, Configure, System
2. CLEAR System logs
3. Menu, Update library

After Library update completes (no spinner)

4. cat /var/log/mpd/log

Look for evidence that all your songs were indexed. There will be a log entry for each song file. If not all of them were successfully indexed then look for errors.

NOTE that moOde's Library is based on tags in the song files. If the tags are missing or incorrect then the Library will not be correct.

Many thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately the mpd log shows no strange entries. The line before last it states an error (failed to open song xy) but the very last line
it says song xy added. Then, the log just ends.

I tried to attach the HDD directly via USB and all files have been imported. So, no TAG issue but most likely it's on my side.... Sad 
What keeps being strange is the fact that the first artists in alphabetical order (A-D) are imported - not just arbitrary songs/artists.
Looks like some kind of timeout/interrupt occurs...

Errors I receive from time to time is "transport endpopint not connected". Then, no song works anymore and I have to restart.
After that the (few) imported songs work as expected.

Any further suggestions? I'll continue trying and post my findings (if there are any).
Have a nice day!
Quote:Looks like some kind of timeout/interrupt occurs...

Errors I receive from time to time is "transport endpopint not connected". Then, no song works anymore and I have to restart.

this would seem to indicate a power supply, resource usage or connection problem...
What are the details of the device you are accessing the files from.. how is it powered/connected.
----------
bob
File permissions?
(08-10-2020, 09:17 PM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:Looks like some kind of timeout/interrupt occurs...

this would seem to indicate a power supply, resource usage or connection problem...
What are the details of the device you are accessing the files from.. how is it powered/connected.

The SSD is attached to a FritzBox (USB3.0). The router provides the media server functionality.
Since the direct access to the media server works from other devices (mobile, PC, ...) I don't think
it's a supply issue.
It's only the Raspberry+moOde which can't read all songs...

I'm not familiar with this OS. But since the SSD works via USB at the Raspberry and at least some
albums are added to the library the permissions shouldn't be an issue. Or?

What I can't get is the fact that the number of imported albums varies, but not much. Sometimes
I manage to get one or two more, sometimes not.

UPDATE:
Guess what?! Your hint concering power supply made me think. Even though the used HDD
draws only a little more current than an SSD, I copied the database and attached an SSD
to the USB port of my router. And this works! Big Grin It's much faster even though the SSD is USB 2.0
and the HDD 3.0.
It seems the moOde access to the library is somehow more excessive than from other devices
(I never had issues in the past with e.g. mobile phone or LAN players.) so that the router throttles the drive
or even switches it off. I'll order an active USB HUB and give it another try.
Nevertheless, I'm happy now. Big Grin 

Many thanks to all of you.
Quote:Guess what?! Your hint concering power supply made me think. Even though the used HDD
draws only a little more current than an SSD, I copied the database and attached an SSD
to the USB port of my router. And this works!

Whilst the specs may show static/continuous/average current draw similar for both devices the current draw for the HDD initial spin-up is likely to be high enough to be the choke point causing the dropout.
Fritzbox and most other routers are designed to be used with a USB flash drive or powered disc.. the hub may be the solution. :-)

At least you now have a way to make your music available.. Cool 

Bob.
----------
bob