Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Login - pi - Permission denied
I am needing to adjust overscan and screen rotation. So, I need to login to use Terminal or ssh for those changes. 

I used the login in the instructions, but they do not work. : ) Then I found another login as User: pi Password: moodeaudio

While it allows a login, there doesn't seem to be enough permissions to make changes to the "config.txt" .. or any changes. : )

Is this software on lockdown? or can we make these changes?
(08-10-2020, 08:36 PM)bmxjeff Wrote: I am needing to adjust overscan and screen rotation. So, I need to login to use Terminal or ssh for those changes. 

I used the login in the instructions, but they do not work. : ) Then I found another login as User: pi Password: moodeaudio

While it allows a login, there doesn't seem to be enough permissions to make changes to the "config.txt" .. or any changes. : )

I don't know what instructions you were looking at. User pi with password moodeaudio has been standard for moOde since its inception.

The user pi has superuser privileges so it can modify files and directories owned by root. Look up the "sudo" command if you are unfamiliar with it.

Regards,
Kent
Post removed - Kent answered while I was typing.
(08-10-2020, 08:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 08:36 PM)bmxjeff Wrote: I am needing to adjust overscan and screen rotation. So, I need to login to use Terminal or ssh for those changes. 

I don't know what instructions you were looking at. User pi with password moodeaudio has been standard for moOde since its inception.

The user pi has superuser privileges so it can modify files and directories owned by root. Look up the "sudo" command if you are unfamiliar with it.

Regards,
Kent

Kent, thanks for your reply!

However, I still get "permission denied" for any sudo command. I can't make any changes.  I can log-in to volumio without any trouble, so I was hoping for an easy fix, .. like, I'm using the wrong user name. : ) I saw user: moode password: moodeaudio in the setup instruction. So I figured that was everything.  

I'll probably keep moving forward with Volumio. Thanks again!
@bmxjeff

From the setup.txt instructions:

Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// GENERAL INFORMATION
//
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

NOTE: Use http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network.
Typically Android OS will only work with IP address.

- SSH login user: pi, pwd: moodeaudio
- Preface commands requiring root permission with sudo
- Access Point (AP) mode:
 (a) IP address: 172.24.1.1
 (b) SSID: Moode
 (c) Password: moodeaudio
 (d) Channel: 6
- AP mode starts automatically when:
 (a) WiFi SSID is set to 'None' in Network config and there is no Ethernet connection
 (b) WiFi SSID is defined but no IP address was assigned by DHCP. This typically....

Are you perhaps mixing up the user credentials and the Access Point credentials?

Regards,
Kent
The sudo command can be used to either run a command as root, for example;
Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

... or used to switch to a root shell with;
Code:
sudo -i
That worked great! Rotated that screen 90 degrees in 3 seconds flat : ) And corrected the overscan!

Thanks for your help!
Don't forget to edit your OP and change to solved.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-13-2020, 02:01 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Don't forget to edit your OP and change to solved.

So... I'm an OG... I don't know what OP means : ) and I looked for "Solved" but I can't find it. I'm sorry. But... I can sudo nano into that pi now!
(08-25-2020, 08:26 PM)bmxjeff Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 02:01 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Don't forget to edit your OP and change to solved.

So... I'm an OG... I don't know what OP means : ) and I looked for "Solved" but I can't find it. I'm sorry. But... I can sudo nano into that pi now!

A quick employ of a search engine brings this:   <<  The most general use of 'OP' is 'original poster   >>

... while a search on the MoOde Forum brings this:  http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...2#pid23642