Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: stale file handle after reboot
Hello,

with the help of this forum I solved several issues. But the list still has some open points:
Now, I've attached a NAS drive to moOde and all works fine after I just made a library update.
After a restart, no file is played anymore. I receive three errors from MPD as soon as I try to play any file:
- failed to decode
- failed to open
- stale file handle

Now, I can directly perform another library update and all works again. So I guess it's not issue related to
the way the drive is mounted. (Btw, re-mounting or MPD restart does not help).
Anyway, I don't want to do a complete lib update after each and every start.

Could this be somehow linked to the expand of the file system? I did expand it but I'm not 100% sure whether
it worked after restart before.

Any ideas?
When you say "I've attached a NAS drive to moOde" are you mounting a shared filesystem on the network?
If so is this an SMB share? (looking at your last thread I'm guessing an SMB share)

Without knowing more about your network and the file server first guess would be network connectivity problems?
(08-17-2020, 12:51 PM)vinnn Wrote: When you say "I've attached a NAS drive to moOde" are you mounting a file share on the network?
If so is this an SMB share? (looking at your last thread I'm guessing an SMB share)

You are right, it's an SMB share (>= 2.0).
I tried version 2.0 and 3.0 - no difference. 3.1 did not mount at all.
(08-17-2020, 12:59 PM)AudioServer Wrote: You are right, it's an SMB share (>= 2.0).

Do you have just one source configured? What is the path you entered in the Music Source section of the library settings?
Also have you regenerated (not updated) the library since your previous attempts at using UPnP and local storage? Might help.
(08-17-2020, 01:20 PM)vinnn Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 12:59 PM)AudioServer Wrote: You are right, it's an SMB share (>= 2.0).

Do you have just one source configured? What is the path you entered in the Music Source section of the library settings?
Also have you regenerated (not updated) the library since your previous attempts at using UPnP and local storage? Might help.

Yes, I've only one source configured, but there are two drives connected to my router. Thus, I had to specify the target by: fritz.box/privCloud2019/Volume
Using the host's IP address or searching on both drives (fritz.box/privCloud2019) did not help.

Regeneration has the same effect as lib update. After it, everything works - until restart... Sad
Even if I only regenerate the thumbnail cache it works. Since this is pretty fast I could live with some automated regeneration of it each restart.
If there is noc solution (found) is it possible to add a command somewhere to implement such an auto-regeneration?

Btw., with a PI 7" touch, the scrolling in album view often freezes until I touch the character bar for jumping directly to a certain starting letter.
Don't think it's related but who knows.... (for sure not me Confused )
Still sounds as if there might be something off with the file server or the network if your Pi is having trouble accessing previously accessible files on your file share.
So... you're using the hostname fritz.box in the music source path, try changing this to the server's IP address instead to avoid a possible name resolution issue on your network/router.

But still without knowing more about your system/network there's not a lot to go on. You could give us some info by logging into moode's SSH terminal (Moode menu > Configure > System > Local Services > enable SSH term server > [OPEN] Web SSH Terminal > login as u/n pi & p/w moodeaudio at the prompt) and run;

Code:
mount | grep mnt

... and...

Code:
moodeutl -s

Post the output wrapped in code blocks.
(08-17-2020, 02:41 PM)vinnn Wrote: Still sounds as if there might be something off with the file server or the network if your Pi is having trouble accessing previously accessible files on your file share.
So... you're using the hostname fritz.box in the music source path, try changing this to the server's IP address instead to avoid a possible name resolution issue on your network/router.

But still without knowing more about your system/network there's not a lot to go on. You could give us some info by logging into moode's SSH terminal (Moode menu > Configure > System > Local Services > enable SSH term server > [OPEN] Web SSH Terminal > login as u/n pi & p/w moodeaudio at the prompt) and run;

Code:
mount | grep mnt

... and...

Code:
moodeutl -s

Post the output wrapped in code blocks.

In the kern.log I stumbled over:

Code:
Aug 17 18:06:04 moOdeAudio kernel: [  215.674642] CIFS VFS: Autodisabling the use of server inode numbers on \\fritz.box\privCloud2019.
Aug 17 18:06:04 moOdeAudio kernel: [  215.674657] CIFS VFS: The server doesn't seem to support them properly or the files might be on different servers (DFS).
Aug 17 18:06:04 moOdeAudio kernel: [  215.674664] CIFS VFS: Hardlinks will not be recognized on this mount. Consider mounting with the "noserverino" option to silence this message.

I added the 'noserverino' mount flag and this fixed the issue. Big Grin 
Surprisingly (to me), this also fixed the display freeze in album view.
Any idea about the root cause?
Good find! Off the top of my head no I don't know what exactly would cause that.

It could be the version of samba server running on the router or maybe something to do with the filesystem your USB disk's formatted with. What's important is that it works with that workaround, well done.
(08-17-2020, 05:30 PM)vinnn Wrote: Good find! Off the top of my head no I don't know what exactly would cause that.

It could be the version of samba server running on the router or maybe something to do with the filesystem your USB disk's formatted with. What's important is that it works with that workaround, well done.

Thank you.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while  Big Grin

Many thanks for your efforts.

Best regards