Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

HDD clicking
(08-09-2020, 04:21 PM)Chris Tennant Wrote: It's fine Tim, I don't expect you to.
I just thought I ask it here, maybe it's some simple thing, but I guess it's not.
But thanks anyway, otherwise I more than happy with Moode.

@Kent
The main issue with this clicking is not the noise that I'm bothered, but the fact that hdd sounds like it's really struggling and it could break down.

I suspect that what you're running into, is the issue of "drive acoustic management".  Many drives can adjust their head/arm acceleration to either favor performance (fast seeks) or noise (lower arm acceleration, slower seeks and less vibration and noise),

Under Linux, for many drives, the command "hdparm -M 128 /dev/sda" will set the drive to quiet operation, and "hdparm -M 254 /dev/sda" will set the drive to best-performance (and noisiest).  (replace "/dev/sda" with the correct drive device path).    Depending on what drive model you bought, the drive's default setting might be either of those, or somewhere in the middle.  Drives sold for "audio/video" applications are often set to run quieter than drives sold for "server" or "NAS" use.

You could try modifying your Moode installation with a smalll startup-time shell script to set the drive to quiet mode, and see if that helps the noise.

Also, if you're not familiar with "smartctl", it would be worth studying.  With this utility you can query a drive's self-test and health data, and look to see if any of the drive's status information indicates that it's getting close to end-of-life and showing signs of failure.
(08-10-2020, 06:25 PM)grasshopper Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:55 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:21 PM)Chris Tennant Wrote: ...

@Kent
The main issue with this clicking is not the noise that I'm bothered, but the fact that hdd sounds like it's really struggling and it could break down.

That description is worrisome in its own right. 

Disk drives do have a finite life. Hands down, they're the most unreliable computer component I use. I recently took a box full of old drives to the county recycling station. All of them had failed in various ways over the years while in service in various PCs, laptops, and servers. I kept the dead drives on hand because they have some interesting bits in them which I've used in other hacker projects but now I'm preparing to downsize and have to empty out my Fibber McGee's closet.

If I were you I'd be making sure I had a complete and tested backup of this drive before it actually does break down.

Regards,
Kent

Interesting to stumble upon this thread as I was debating my old ReadyNAS Duo which is 10 years old now & has faithfully been the sole source of music for my MoOde players all this time, spinning the 2x SCSI drives 24/7 in that time with just a handful of pauses due to power outages.
I've certainly had my moneys worth out of it, but there has never been clicking, just a gentle buzz as it refreshes the library occasionally and when playing music it's silent.
I just hope the next one will be as reliable.
I cant even recall the brand of SCSI disks in it, I know they were identical, I guess I'll find out one day.

I do not wish to further enhance my reputation as a pedant, but are you certain that you are running SCSI drives in your ReadyNAS Duo? What sorcery is this?

AFAIK, ReadyNAS Duo units have only ever supported SATA drives.
(08-25-2020, 06:26 PM)leicray Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 06:25 PM)grasshopper Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:55 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:21 PM)Chris Tennant Wrote: ...

@Kent

That description is worrisome in its own right. 

Disk drives do have a finite life. Hands down, they're the most unreliable computer component I use. I recently took a box full of old drives to the county recycling station. All of them had failed in various ways over the years while in service in various PCs, laptops, and servers. I kept the dead drives on hand because they have some interesting bits in them which I've used in other hacker projects but now I'm preparing to downsize and have to empty out my Fibber McGee's closet.

If I were you I'd be making sure I had a complete and tested backup of this drive before it actually does break down.

Regards,
Kent

Interesting to stumble upon this thread as I was debating my old ReadyNAS Duo which is 10 years old now & has faithfully been the sole source of music for my MoOde players all this time, spinning the 2x SCSI drives 24/7 in that time with just a handful of pauses due to power outages.
I've certainly had my moneys worth out of it, but there has never been clicking, just a gentle buzz as it refreshes the library occasionally and when playing music it's silent.
I just hope the next one will be as reliable.
I cant even recall the brand of SCSI disks in it, I know they were identical, I guess I'll find out one day.

I do not wish to further enhance my reputation as a pedant, but are you certain that you are running SCSI drives in your ReadyNAS Duo? What sorcery is this?

AFAIK, ReadyNAS Duo units have only ever supported SATA drives.

I must have used the SCSI drives in another project, my memory is not what it was, looking at my admin screen for the ReadyNAS I used a couple of Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166's, so sorry for the duff info.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-vgIEL...p=drivesdk
...and when I entered "Seagate ST2000 clicking noises" into my favorite search engine, I got pages of hits on posts about whether nor not the noise is normal. 

The first comment to the first post I ran across resonated with me for obvious reasons  "A clicking HDD is always a bad sign. Since it's so new I'd recommend RMAing it."

The "official" Seagate position is stated in their support page what should I do for a noisy disk drive?

Good luck!

Regards,
Kent
(08-26-2020, 08:15 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ...and when I entered "Seagate ST2000 clicking noises" into my favorite search engine,

I think you would find this handy Kent:
https://www.lmgtfy.com/
----------------
Robert
(08-27-2020, 07:30 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 08:15 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ...and when I entered "Seagate ST2000 clicking noises" into my favorite search engine,

I think you would find this handy Kent:
https://www.lmgtfy.com/

One can never have too many search engines!

Fun indoor activity in this age of SARS-CoV-2: try posting exactly the same search inquiry to the different engines and see what you get. Try it with different queries; with different ordering of terms in the query; etc. Don't forget to listen to music while you do this Smile

Bonus round: find the DaVinci code. 

Regards,
Kent
(08-27-2020, 01:07 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: try posting exactly the same search inquiry to the different engines and see what you get.
Or in the case of Google, post the same query as different people. The main reason I moved off Google as my first choice of engine was because it was giving me results tainted by what I'd looked for before. When I "ask the internet" I want the reply from the internet, not the reply that Google thinks I want the internet to have.

Seriously off topic, I apologise and will shut up.
----------------
Robert