Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Recommend a DAC
I have set up a raspberry pi with moode audio.  It is hooked to a google max speaker via headphone jack from pi.  The volume doesn't go very high and wanted to a DAC. Recommendation on a DAC?  Maybe future proof?
Depends on your budget, if you've got £14499 (or $17250) I've heard the DCS Bartok is pretty good.
(09-08-2020, 05:12 PM)vinnn Wrote: Depends on your budget, if you've got £14499 (or $17250) I've heard the DCS Bartok is pretty good.

WOW!  I just want to better sound to my google max speaker?  Not more then $70?
(09-08-2020, 06:07 PM)Park13 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 05:12 PM)vinnn Wrote: Depends on your budget, if you've got £14499 (or $17250) I've heard the DCS Bartok is pretty good.

WOW!  I just want to better sound to my google max speaker?  Not more then $70?

So something like the low-end US$10 Adafruit dac or the US$35 HiFiBerry DAC+. 

If you ever move up from that Google Max speaker you might want to consider a modest USB dac in the US$100 to US$250 range. There's lots. See for example the audiosciencereview listings.

Regards,
Kent
HifiBerry DAC+Pro is very good with it's on power supply. And good speakers make a lot of difference also.
(09-08-2020, 07:04 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: HifiBerry DAC+Pro is very good with it's on power supply. And good speakers make a lot of difference also.

Thank you!!
(09-08-2020, 09:51 PM)Park13 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:04 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: HifiBerry DAC+Pro is very good with it's on power supply. And good speakers make a lot of difference also.

Thank you!!

I assume I would just need a adapter to go in speak jack on google speaker? until i upgrade to a better system?
I didn't pay attention, your are playing on a Google max Speaker. Sorry I thought your system sounded like a Google speaker and you wanted better. But in this case just buy the cheapest DAC, you would not hear the difference anyway with this speaker.
(09-08-2020, 03:30 PM)Park13 Wrote: I have set up a raspberry pi with moode audio.  It is hooked to a google max speaker via headphone jack from pi.  The volume doesn't go very high and wanted to a DAC. Recommendation on a DAC?  Maybe future proof?

In order to help the volume go up you may want to get a headphone amplifier... [Raspberry Pi] -> [Headphone Amplifier] -> [Google Max speaker]... simples Smile 

A headphone amplifier will help you have listening sessions on headphones without disturbing the others...
(09-08-2020, 10:01 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: I didn't pay attention, your are playing on a Google max Speaker. Sorry I thought your system sounded like a Google speaker and you wanted better. But in this case just buy the cheapest DAC, you would not hear the difference anyway with this speaker.

No I am going eventually get a better speaker.  So meanwhile get the apdapter for DAC and Max speaker for now?