Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Forum riddled with adverts
(09-10-2020, 06:32 PM)Strider Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:18 PM)kit1cat Wrote: I use surfsharp VPN which includes an ad blocker, works on a pc and various devices.

Thanks Kit1cat,  I'll give it a go and see if it helps,

Cheers!

That should read Surfshark, sorry.
Come on, folks, show the same curiosity about the forum that we have about the moOde WebUI.

I just ran wget http://moodeaudio.org/forum/index.html (the index.html is implied when one uses just moodeaudio.org/forum)

The index.html file I got is 580 lines of typical HTML and Javascript code. That's pretty sparse compared to some.

Embedded in it are the "smoking gun" divs I was looking for. Here's the header ad

Code:
<!-- Forum Header Ad -->
                       <div style="text-align: center;border: 1px solid #ddd;margin:.25em 0 .15em 0;">
                               <script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
                               <ins class="adsbygoogle"
                                        style="display:block"
                                        data-ad-client="ca-pub-698280690xxxxxxxx"
                                        data-ad-slot="69267xxxxx"
                                        data-ad-format="auto"
                                        data-full-width-responsive="true"></ins>
                               <script>
                               (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
                               </script>
                       </div>

and there's a corresponding, somewhat differently organized <!-- Forum Footer Ad -->.

I gotta assume this helps defray the cost of running the Forum services.

I don't know how Amazon goes about injecting ads into browser content on their ad-supported tablets but I presume it's a separate mechanism because AFAIK the Fire OS doesn't run any Google services.

On a personal note, I don't mind ads per se, but I do mind that based on my usage habits with Chrome on my iPad, Google seems to have decided this version of me is a survivalist. Chrome keeps showing me ads for bullet-proof vests and other mayhem-oriented products. Confused 

I've run various ad blocker extensions on my laptop browsers for years. They all seem to work. I'm particularly fond of the ethical principles behind the Electronic Freedom Foundation (EFF) PrivacyBadger. Unfortunately, setting anything up on an Android or iOS device is a bit of a pain (in $$ or sweat equity). At home there's always the possibility of running something like Pi-hole on the LAN but then one gets into DNS setup details.

Regards,
Kent
I must admit I am a bit paranoid about ad's , you can't get away from them, every time you turn the telly or radio on all you get are ad's. I am not totally against ad's it's just that there are far too many of them. Rant over. At least there no ad's when I listen to my music via moOde.
I've been getting a combination of ads for Kevlar trousers - lots of military-type men in balaclavas, with big knives and guns - and ladies' summer dresses!*

Go figure that one!

(* Just for the record, I'm a 66 year old retired digital electronics engineer with one SWMBO, two daughters and three cats LOL!)

Anyway, a couple of ad-blockers, for Safari on the tablet and Chrome on the PC, have sorted it out Smile.

What is curious, however, is that this is the only "hifi-related" forum (of those that I frequent) that has needed ad-blockers
I have no idea whats going on with the ads and not really any spare time to investigate.

I would imagine though that if the ads were strictly audio focussed and from decent companies then it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have the ads displayed.

Maybe someone can suggest how to get something like this going.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-11-2020, 06:06 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:04 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Main browser is Firefox (Win10) with AdBlock and Ghostery... and I do not remember seeing any non-Forum averts or other intrusions since this Forum format's inception.
I'm pretty convinced that its Amazon behind the rubbish supply as I remember that when I've bought a Fire tablet for my wife a couple of years ago there was a choice of two prices leading to a tablet with 'an advertising feature' and one without. Mr. Cheapskate (that's me...) chose the cheaper tablet and, goodness me, my Better Half gets advertising left, right and centre...
Hope your bruising heals fast.... Big Grin

---> Happy Days... The Serjeant-at-Arms was unusually gentle with me... She allowed me to duck (from time to time) while the meat tenderer was flying  around Tongue

and Win10 ???  I'm surprised there Mike...thought you would be a dyed in the wool ABW user..;-)

---> my Sinclair Spectrum ZS got terribly slow for daytime browsing of newspapers 'n' forums so I had to fork out for a Covid-proof computer while the Spectrum has been re-assigned to nightime gentleman entertainment duties  Angel )
(09-12-2020, 02:07 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea whats going on with the ads and not really any spare time to investigate.

I would imagine though that if the ads were strictly audio focussed and from decent companies then it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have the ads displayed.

I'd think that the browser-specific ad blockers would be sufficient... plenty of choices (and plenty of browser choices, browsers who have a large 'audience' as in a large addins database)
(09-12-2020, 06:24 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 06:06 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:04 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Main browser is Firefox (Win10) with AdBlock and Ghostery... and I do not remember seeing any non-Forum averts or other intrusions since this Forum format's inception.
I'm pretty convinced that its Amazon behind the rubbish supply as I remember that when I've bought a Fire tablet for my wife a couple of years ago there was a choice of two prices leading to a tablet with 'an advertising feature' and one without. Mr. Cheapskate (that's me...) chose the cheaper tablet and, goodness me, my Better Half gets advertising left, right and centre...
Hope your bruising heals fast.... Big Grin

---> Happy Days... The Serjeant-at-Arms was unusually gentle with me... She allowed me to duck (from time to time) while the meat tenderer was flying  around Tongue

and Win10 ???  I'm surprised there Mike...thought you would be a dyed in the wool ABW user..;-)

---> my Sinclair Spectrum ZS got terribly slow for daytime browsing of newspapers 'n' forums so I had to fork out for a Covid-proof computer while the Spectrum has been re-assigned to nightime gentleman entertainment duties  Angel  )

Best-est post ever..!!   Our chuckles turned rapidly to belly laughs then snot snorting tears and convulsions !! Smile Big Grin
----------
bob
(09-12-2020, 06:31 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 02:07 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea whats going on with the ads and not really any spare time to investigate.

I'd think that the browser-specific ad blockers would be sufficient... plenty of choices (and plenty of browser choices, browsers who have a large 'audience' as in a large addins database)

I find a lot of sites will not run fully with a browser ad blocker switched on, (AVForums being one) I find running a VPN with a ad blocker solves that problem for me.
Firefox plus the uBlock Origin ad blocker works a treat for me. I've never seen an ad on this forum. Sites that request that I disable my ad blocker don't get read at all - if so many ads weren't so banal I might be more tolerant. Heaven help us if the BBC ever gets privatised!