Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Music Suggestions
I have about 1TB of flac music on Google Drive.  Here are my options.

1. Copy flac music to Samsung T5 usb drive and attach to Pi
2. I have Intel Nuc 10 with ubuntu on it.  I can rclone google drive and create a samba share?
3  I can install Logitech Media Server on the ubuntu server ?

Any other suggestion how to do this?

Thank you
Put your files on the NUC (assuming this is your home server), away from the listening space because fans, spinny HDDs etc.
Share files with an NFS export, include the all_squash, anonuid and anonuid options on the export to map any client user to your desired local user (in Ubuntu) to avoid permission issues.
Mount NFS filesystem as a Moode source and catalogue files, don't bother with LMS, it's best just playing the files so any middleware is unnecessary.
(09-12-2020, 03:35 PM)vinnn Wrote: Put your files on the NUC (assuming this is your home server), away from the listening space because fans, spinny HDDs etc.
Share files with an NFS export.
Mount NFS filesystem as a Moodesourceand catalogue files, don't bother with LMS, it's best just playing the files so any middleware is unnecessary.

So put the nuc in a different room?
(09-12-2020, 03:36 PM)Park13 Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 03:35 PM)vinnn Wrote: Put your files on the NUC (assuming this is your home server), away from the listening space because fans, spinny HDDs etc.
Share files with an NFS export.
Mount NFS filesystem as a Moodesourceand catalogue files, don't bother with LMS, it's best just playing the files so any middleware is unnecessary.

So put the nuc in a different room?

Depends what you normally use your NUC for of course but if it's your home server why would you have such a thing in your living/listening space? Was just a suggestion anyway Wink
I have something similar for my home server/NAS (a Gigabyte Brix) hooked up to two 4-bay JBOD enclosures tucked away under the hallway stairs where fans, HDD noise and LEDs can't pollute the living space.
Since you already have the NUC, using it makes sense. 

If you were starting from scratch, I'd suggest using an RPi4B as the server platform. You could set up NFS and/or Samba (SMB) servers in Raspbian or you could install a Synology-like solution such as Open Media Vault on it. You could even go to DietPi as the basis for one of their packaged servers (including Emby, Kodi, LMS, Plex, ReadyMedia/miniDLNA, etc.).

I'd recommend you get your feet wet playing with various server solutions with just a few albums first. That way you can separate the server-management issues from any file-management issues. At various times, I've set up NFS, Samba, OMV, LMS, and ReadyMedia services in various Linuxes. It's easy peasy once you get the hang of it, but the first time through it feels like you're tripping over every little gotcha.

For some time my main server has been OpenMediaVault installed on an Odroid HC1 with an SATA SSD [1]. It has been as solid as a rock; never goes down as long as it has power.

Regarding rclone, a year ago after seeing another user's post (API connection to cloud...), I played with using rclone to mount my Google drive and also my Dropbox directory as a local directory on one of my local players. 

I see from some of my private postings to Tim and the test team that I thought the experiment went well but candidly I didn't take good notes and I don't remember some details. I dropped the ball when I went off on an extended vacation and had other problems to deal with when I got back. Tim has been kind and not ragged me about not following up  Tongue

One critical step is to register through your Google account in order to get a Google Authentication token to plug into rclone so you get good performance.  If, instead, you accept the default "client id" you get an authentication token that's shared with every rclone user who accepts the default "client id". This has performance implications because Google imposes rate limits per token.

So now that your post has reminded me of unfinished business, an rclone mount is back on my TODO list too.

Regards,
Kent

[1] I did this before the RPi4B was released. Now the choice seems like 6 or one or a half dozen of the other. The costs are similar. The HC1 is better packaged. The performance of the SATA SSD isn't that much better than the performance of a USB3 drive. The improved networking subsystem in the RPi4B puts it on more or less equal footing with the Odroid HC1. There's a far greater selection of software and much better support for the RPi.
(09-12-2020, 05:03 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Since you already have the NUC, using it makes sense. 

If you were starting from scratch, I'd suggest using an RPi4B as the server platform. You could set up NFS and/or Samba (SMB) servers in Raspbian or you could install a Synology-like solution such as Open Media Vault on it. You could even go to DietPi as the basis for one of their packaged servers (including Emby, Kodi, LMS, Plex, ReadyMedia/miniDLNA, etc.).

I'd recommend you get your feet wet playing with various server solutions with just a few albums first. That way you can separate the server-management issues from any file-management issues. At various times, I've set up NFS, Samba, OMV, LMS, and ReadyMedia services in various Linuxes. It's easy peasy once you get the hang of it, but the first time through it feels like you're tripping over every little gotcha.

For some time my main server has been OpenMediaVault installed on an Odroid HC1 with an SATA SSD [1]. It has been as solid as a rock; never goes down as long as it has power.

Regarding rclone, a year ago after seeing another user's post (API connection to cloud...), I played with using rclone to mount my Google drive and also my Dropbox directory as a local directory on one of my local players. 

I see from some of my private postings to Tim and the test team that I thought the experiment went well but candidly I didn't take good notes and I don't remember some details. I dropped the ball when I went off on an extended vacation and had other problems to deal with when I got back. Tim has been kind and not ragged me about not following up  Tongue

One critical step is to register through your Google account in order to get a Google Authentication token to plug into rclone so you get good performance.  If, instead, you accept the default "client id" you get an authentication token that's shared with every rclone user who accepts the default "client id". This has performance implications because Google imposes rate limits per token.

So now that your post has reminded me of unfinished business, an rclone mount is back on my TODO list too.

Regards,
Kent

[1] I did this before the RPi4B was released. Now the choice seems like 6 or one or a half dozen of the other. The costs are similar. The HC1 is better packaged. The performance of the SATA SSD isn't that much better than the performance of a USB3 drive. The improved networking subsystem in the RPi4B puts it on more or less equal footing with the Odroid HC1. There's a far greater selection of software and much better support for the RPi.

I was successfully mounted this with help from the forum.  This just mounts the drive and does not add anything to pi hardrive.

Code:
rclone mount --config=/home/pi/rclone.conf --fast-list --vfs-cache-mode writes --cache-dir /home/pi/cache/ --cache-db-purge --vfs-cache-max-size 100M --allow-other --log-file="/home/pi/rsync.log.$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)" gdrive: /media/
Nice!

Regards,
Kent