Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: accessing PC harddrive?
(10-01-2020, 02:23 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @PERRLA

I think you are lookiing at this problem backwards. If you want to access audio files on your Windows computer from your moOde player you need to do several things.

1) In the Windows file system, share the directory (aka folder) containing the files of interest. Make sure the share permissions are okay. For example, you might allow all users to read the files in the directory. The result is a new Samba (SMB) share. 

Let's say your Windows hostname is "Win10" and the name of the directory you share is "Music". Then the network share path is \\Win10\Music (in Windows) and //Win10/Music (in Linux).

2) In the moOde player, go to the Library screen, click on CREATE Music source. In the screen which comes up, define the Windows server. If you haven't done anything special with SMB protocols on your Windows computer, the scan function will return, among other items, the Windows hostname but not the share name. You'll have to enter the path manually. If we continue the example from above, you will enter "Win10/Music". 

Get the userid/password right. If in 1) you allowed all users to read the directory, then here you can enter userid "Guest" and leave password blank.

Give this source a friendly name in the Name box, such as "Win10Music".

If you haven't done anything special with SMB protocols on your Windows computer, you'll have to modify the mount flags in the Advanced section at the bottom of the page. Change "vers=1.0" to 'vers=2.0" and keep the rest of the default flags.

Finally, click Save at the top of the page. You should see a green checkmark and a summary of the new share on the Library config screen. If you failed to adjust the vers= parameter, above, then you'll likely get a red X instead.

Once you're returned to the moOde Library screen, go to m>Update library so the new share will be scanned.

Now the files in your Win10 share should show in the various Library views.

Win10 has become quite finicky as Microsoft continues to fiddle with SMB. I'm not surprised your moOde player doesn't show up as a computer in the network manager. However, once you enable UPnP service on the player, you'll see it show up as a media server.

Regards,
Kent

I'm making some progress but still got a red "x" after putting in vers=2.0. I do see MoOde UPNP on the network now.

I think I have the hostname (?) or share path wrong.  How do I find this in Windows? I did shift- right click -copy path and got C:\Users\leean\Music

I tried command prompt - hostname and got hostname as "Diningroom". Which I tried originally but did not work (ie. Diningroom/music).
Hi and I am sure Kent (@TheOldPresbyope ) will be along to advise soon....
Meanwhile..Linux is case sensitive and you are using both in your configuration...

Quote:C:\Users\leean\Music   and   Diningroom/music

and from Kent's post you could try...

Code:
//Diningroom/Music

I usually use the ip address....192.168.1.X/music   for my share. Ymmv
----------
bob
(10-01-2020, 06:51 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi and I am sure Kent (@TheOldPresbyope ) will be along to advise soon....
Meanwhile..Linux is case sensitive and you are using both in your configuration...

Code:
//Diningroom/Music

I tried those options above but still no luck.  Attached is a screen shot of the "log" if it is of any help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can you post exactly what you have in the Music Source config page (obsuring any IPs for security)?
From this thread so far, I can't see if you have tried
Code:
Diningroom/Music
Also, the mount flags are important, try vers=3.0.
----------------
Robert
(10-01-2020, 07:44 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Can you post exactly what you have in the Music Source config page (obsuring any IPs for security)?
From this thread so far, I can't see if you have tried
Code:
Diningroom/Music
Also, the mount flags are important, try vers=3.0.

Tried vers=3.0.  Should i try 2.0,2.1,2.2 etc...3.1,3.2,3.3 etc...?

I really, really appreciate the help. Its almost 4am so going to retire for the night and will revisit this tomorrow. On the plus side I'm surprised how much better Spotify sounds using the pi4 (via AES--->Benchmark USB DAC1) vs my original streamer.

SMB 3.0 should be enabled by default on Windows 10. To be sure it on yours do a little googling on "windows 10 SMB protocol version" and you'll be able to tell.
The most supixious part for me is the user, I'm not sure a Guest account with no password is going to have the required rights.
In the first instance try putting the user name and passwrod you use to login to your windows machine. I expect that will get you in, but I'd recommend creating a special user on your windows machine that just has access to the share and using that in moode once it is set up.
----------------
Robert
So, the SMB PATH you need to enter in moOde's Music source form must in the form "servername/sharename".

Note that no preceding "\\" or "//" is required.

1. What is your (Windows 10) servername? As @DRONE7 said, the IP address will do in place of the servername.

If you want the name you can find it several ways on your Windows host. From the Windows command prompt (e.g. running cmd.exe or powershell.exe) enter "net localgroup". The servername is at the top of the results where it says "Aliases for <servername>". Alternatively, you could enter the command "net statistics workstation", which reports "Workstation statistics for <servername>".

As well, if you use moOde's SCAN feature, you should see your Windows 10 servername show up in the results. The share itself won't unless you've installed/enabled SMB V1.0 on the Windows 10 host.

2. What is your sharename? Again, from the Windows 10 command prompt, enter "net share". The names of all the current shares are listed in the lefthand column.

[I repeat, I'm running Windows 10 Pro (as a guest virtual machine in Linux, actually). YMMV with lobotomized Windows 10 Home.]

Note that the SMB protocol is case insensitive so capitalization in the PATH entry shouldn't matter but there's no harm in being fastidious.

3. What are the permissions? This is easy to get wrong and I'm not going to try to give a tutorial on Windows 10 permissions management...I'd start to rant if I did. When I set up my Windows 10 share, I right-clicked on the folder in question, then Sharing > Advanced sharing > Permissions and made sure "Everyone" has "Read" permissions. With this, "Guest/<none>" works for me in moOde.

4. Upping the protocol version either to 2.0 or to 3.0 in moOde's advanced settings works with my Win10 Pro system.

Regards,
Kent
(10-01-2020, 02:05 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: So, the SMB PATH you need to enter in moOde's Music source form must in the form "servername/sharename".

Note that no preceding "\\" or "//" is required.

1. What is your (Windows 10) servername? As @DRONE7 said, the IP address will do in place of the servername.

If you want the name you can find it several ways on your Windows host. From the Windows command prompt (e.g. running cmd.exe or powershell.exe) enter "net localgroup". The servername is at the top of the results where it says "Aliases for <servername>". Alternatively, you could enter the command "net statistics workstation", which reports "Workstation statistics for <servername>".

As well, if you use moOde's SCAN feature, you should see your Windows 10 servername show up in the results. The share itself won't unless you've installed/enabled SMB V1.0 on the Windows 10 host.

2. What is your sharename? Again, from the Windows 10 command prompt, enter "net share". The names of all the current shares are listed in the lefthand column.

[I repeat, I'm running Windows 10 Pro (as a guest virtual machine in Linux, actually). YMMV with lobotomized Windows 10 Home.]

Note that the SMB protocol is case insensitive so capitalization in the PATH entry shouldn't matter but there's no harm in being fastidious.

3. What are the permissions? This is easy to get wrong and I'm not going to try to give a tutorial on Windows 10 permissions management...I'd start to rant if I did. When I set up my Windows 10 share, I right-clicked on the folder in question, then Sharing > Advanced sharing > Permissions and made sure "Everyone" has "Read" permissions. With this, "Guest/<none>" works for me in moOde.

4. Upping the protocol version either to 2.0 or to 3.0 in moOde's advanced settings works with my Win10 Pro system.

Regards,
Kent

I took screenshots of the required info listed above. Nothing happens when I hit "scan" for server path.  I also tried entering the ip address i got from the Fing app and entered windows/microsoft id and password without any success. I did right click on music folder to share.  

Hopefully this will give some clues as to what I'm entering wrong.

(10-01-2020, 06:51 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi and I am sure Kent (@TheOldPresbyope ) will be along to advise soon....

Code:
//Diningroom/Music

I think its working using diningroom/users/leean/music

There is now a NAS folder and is loading in music!  I'm getting use to navigating the moode menus.  I'm soooo happy right now.  Thanks again gents.

Kent:  Just curious, are you in the eyecare field?  Not many people use the term "presbyope"
I don't know about Kent but I have participated in shows of Contemporary-Jewellers Eyewear... Smile 

I will see what I can find in the archive to post...

Great to know that you are progressing in the NAS and MoOde realm !

cheers,
bob
----------
bob