Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: UPNP scan
This is a first world problem.  SMB works fine for music sources.  But...

I've been fooling with adding a UPNP source.  On the Create Music Source panel I select UPNP as the source type and then click on the scan button.  I'm currently using the QNAP DLNA server which is readily visible to a variety of clients on Android and Window$ as well as my 6 year old audio receiver and older DVD player.  The scan returns ellipsis.  Scanning the ellipsis for subdirectories returns nothing.  UPNP browser is on.

As I said, SMB works fine for me so I can listen to music. I'm just wondering what the scan problem might be.
@nosferatu_cat

Are you sure it's returning nothing?

Here's what happens when I scan for a UPnP source.

First scan: once done, the path box is empty but when i click on the down arrow a list of servers is presented. The list is headed with 
  • Moode64 DLNA (this is another moOde player with the DLNA server enabled)
  • FiOSTV_F45xxxxxx" (this is my Verizon FiOS cablebox, which is a UPnP-enabled device)
  • MinimServer[krypton], which is a minimserver running on my big iron in the basement.

If I select either moOde64 DLNA or Minimserver[krypton]" and scan again, I get the same kind of result: once done, the path path box is empty but when I click on the down arrow I get a list of resources again. This is the first tier of server-generated directories. 

For the moOde server, they are broken out as:
  • Moode64 DLNA
  • Moode64 DLNA/Browse Folders
  • Moode64 DLNA/Music
  • Moode64 DLNA/Pictures
  • Moode64 DLNA/Video
For the minimserver, they are broken out as:
  • MinimServer[kryton]
  • MinimServer[kryton]/11 albums
  • MinimServer[krypton]/64 items
  • MinimServer[krypton]/2 playlists
  • MinimServer[krypton]/Artist
  • <6 more, including [untagged] and [folder view]>
And one can keep drilling down.

Do you see anything like this?

Regards,
Kent
I've gotten a list twice out of 20 or more scan attempts.  I tried many times earlier today and got nothing.     I just tried setting up a source and detected something after a reboot.  I navigated down to the folder level in the directory tree and saved.  I'm currently running a library update.  The last time I tried this the update ended but the source didn't show up in the list of sources on the library panel.  The source did show on the source config panel, error free along with the SMB source.  I deleted that one and have been trying since. 

We'll see what happens.  When I tried this several months ago on a Pi 3B+ I managed to set up a source, sort of after many failed scans.  It never finished building the library.  I ended up with a partial list of music directories that evaporated after a couple of days.

Just to make sure that I'm following the correct procedure, what I've done is navigate from the root of the directory tree down to the content level via scan.  The QNAP software gives you a variety of tag based views and a folder view.  I set up the path as server_name/music/folder.  I then saved the configuration and ran a library update.  

My fingers are crossed that this will be the one that works.  I'll check back in when the library update completes.  If it's like the SMB setup it will take a couple of hours.

(10-05-2020, 06:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @nosferatu_cat

Are you sure it's returning nothing?

Here's what happens when I scan for a UPnP source.

First scan: once done, the path box is empty but when i click on the down arrow a list of servers is presented. The list is headed with 
  • Moode64 DLNA (this is another moOde player with the DLNA server enabled)
  • FiOSTV_F45xxxxxx" (this is my Verizon FiOS cablebox, which is a UPnP-enabled device)
  • MinimServer[krypton], which is a minimserver running on my big iron in the basement.

If I select either moOde64 DLNA or Minimserver[krypton]" and scan again, I get the same kind of result: once done, the path path box is empty but when I click on the down arrow I get a list of resources again. This is the first tier of server-generated directories. 

For the moOde server, they are broken out as:
  • Moode64 DLNA
  • Moode64 DLNA/Browse Folders
  • Moode64 DLNA/Music
  • Moode64 DLNA/Pictures
  • Moode64 DLNA/Video
For the minimserver, they are broken out as:
  • MinimServer[kryton]
  • MinimServer[kryton]/11 albums
  • MinimServer[krypton]/64 items
  • MinimServer[krypton]/2 playlists
  • MinimServer[krypton]/Artist
  • <6 more, including [untagged] and [folder view]>
And one can keep drilling down.

Do you see anything like this?

Regards,
Kent
Truth in advertising: I don't run a UPnP/DLNA shop here and don't have any use for it. I set up my minimserver solely so I could test the UPnP brower feature when Tim introduced it. (I did the same with the Universal Music Server on a Windows 10 virtual host and, of course, moOde's built-in DLNA server.) I remember not being swept off my feet by it. Too fiddly for my taste.

I'm struck by your initial comment "I've gotten a list twice out of 20 or more scan attempts." That just doesn't sound right.

As for the rest, I haven't spent enough time with the UPnP Browser feature to know what to suggest. It may be you're not at the right level in the folder hierarchy. (Don't forget, many of the "folders" you seen being presented by your UPnP/DLNA server don't actually exist. They've been synthesized by the server software. ISTR that I got my most reliable result drilling down through actual folder structures, but it's been so long I've forgotten.)

Maybe a UPnP/DLNA maven can step in here.

Regards,
Kent
The symptom "I've gotten a list twice out of 20 or more scan attempts" suggests a network issue or some other external issue.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Perhaps, although the server in question is consistently visible to two Android devices using several different pieces of music player software, my Window$ desktop, my Linux desktop, my 6 year old audio receiver, and 10 year old DVD player.  The network signal where the PIs live is usually around -55dBm on the 5 GHz band and a bit stronger on the 2.54 GHz band. 

This is really more of a matter of curiosity.  SMB works fine for me.  I just wonder what's preventing the UPNP client from working well.  

(10-06-2020, 12:42 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The symptom "I've gotten a list twice out of 20 or more scan attempts" suggests a network issue or some other external issue.
If it's not a network issue then prolly bugs in the old, unmaintained project
https://sourceforge.net/projects/djmount/

In any case, the UPnP Browser is really only a last resort option if normal SMB or NFS mounts won't work for some reason.
Enjoy the Music!
djmount certainly causes some funny things to happen to the "regenerate album covers" option. The process never seems to finish and the CPU goes to almost 50% and stays there.
I turned it on to have a look at this issue, but I've turned it off again now. Could it be time to deprecate this feature?
----------------
Robert
The trick with UPnP when creating a mount is that you have to select the sub-folder that contains only the albums otherwise you will end up with duplicates, triplicates, etc. Unfortunately that sub-folder is named differently depending on which UPnP Media Server is being used.

Another issue is that djmount functions as proxy to the Media Server and this results in slow performance.
Enjoy the Music!