Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

A couple of questions on building moode
Just a couple of questions on building new instances of moode.

I already use the ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf files method to make things more convenient and I have thus far used mosbuild.sh to build my moode players.

As I have more than one instance of moode running at one time I give them different names. I wonder if there is a way to set the host name automatically during the build rather than after the build is complete?
This would be very convenient. As it is I run the build script and wait for the build to be complete. Then I manually edit the hostname through the UI. I then edit the renderer names and the mpd zeroconf name etc.
It would be good if there was a way to set all of these to the desired name at once early in the build process. Perhaps there is already? Or perhaps an option at the initial stage of mosbuild.sh?

Another "feature" of building a new moode instance for me is rebuilding the library. Does anybody backup their library and then import it into their new build to save time?
Is this possible or even advisable?
Additionally it sometimes feels inefficient to have multiple instances of moode individually building the same library or indeed individually updating when new music is added.
Is there a viable way to avoid duplicating work like this? Is there a case for somehow linking libraries together?

Shy
Hi,

For your two questions:

1. As I have more than one instance of moode running at one time I give them different names. I wonder if there is a way to set the host name automatically during the build rather than after the build is complete?

Take a look at moOde Setup Guide. There is a section that describes AUTO-CONFIGURE AT BOOT where you take a fresh image and add /boot/moodecfg.txt file that contains your new names. moOde reads this file at boot and automatically makes all the name changes, then reboots. This what I use to make my 5 differently named Pi's from a single image. I simply make 5 copies of the one fresh moOde image and then add moodecfg.txt files to /boot :-)

The Setup Guide is at 
- Menu, Configure, System
- Menu, About

Or on Github
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

Here is an example moodecfg.txxt file
Code:
##########################################
# Copy this file to /boot/moodecfg.txt
# worker will process it at startup then
# delete it and automatically reboot.
#
# All param=value pairs must be present.
# Set wlanssid=<nothing> to start AP mode.
# Example: wlanssid=
##########################################

[names]
hostname=rp3
browsertitle=RP3 Player
airplayname=RP3 Airplay
bluetoothname=RP3 Bluetooth
squeezelitename=RP3
upnpname=RP3 UPNP
dlnaname=RP3 DLNA
mpdzeroconf=RP3 MPD

[services]
airplaysvc=0
upnpsvc=0
dlnasvc=0

[network]
wlanssid=MySSID
wlansec=wpa
wlanpwd=MyPASSWORD
wlancountry=US
apdssid=RP3
apdchan=6
apdpwd=moodeaudio

[other]
timezone=America/Detroit
themecolor=Alizarin

2. additionally it sometimes feels inefficient to have multiple instances of moode individually building the same library or indeed individually updating when new music is added. Is there a viable way to avoid duplicating work like this? Is there a case for somehow linking libraries together?

MPD has a feature whereby a single, central database can be shared but it would be a complex configuration to implement since moOde's Library is designed around maintaining a local cached copy of the database to ensure fast and reliable navigation.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
thanks Tim.