Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: 6.71 install broken after updating OS
As a best practice I updated the operating system on a new install, after setting the password and expanding the file system. I was prompted with a php.ini conflict but was not able to resolve even with comparing the suggested changes. Whether I choose to overwrite or keep the local copy, in both cases after a reboot the Samba, php FPM and nginx services failed to start. Was able to start them manually after a while but this is obviously not sustainable.

Has anyone else run into this?
it might be a best practice for generic RaspiOS distro but its not a best practice for custom distro's like moOde which have dependencies on specific package versions, OS version, kernel version, configs and so on.

The links below contain information on how moOde is built
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl..._v2.25.txt
https://github.com/moode-player/mosbuild
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Got it, thanks Tim.
(12-04-2020, 12:05 PM)Jazzy Wrote: As a best practice I updated the operating system on a new install, after setting the password and expanding the file system. I was prompted with a php.ini conflict but was not able to resolve even with comparing the suggested changes. Whether I choose to overwrite or keep the local copy, in both cases after a reboot the Samba, php FPM and nginx services failed to start. Was able to start them manually after a while but this is obviously not sustainable.

Has anyone else run into this?

Keeping the original has always worked for me with Moode.

I regularly run

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

without issues on my Moode boxes.

Phil, whose day job involves maintaining a lot of Linux servers.

Not a recommended practice for moOde either for the OS or the kernel. We custom compile and bundle several drivers that are tied to specific features or in moOde or to specific hardware. These get wiped out or reverted when bumping the kernel. There are also several package version dependencies that can break depending on what the OS full-upgrade does.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-05-2020, 01:18 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Not a recommended practice for moOde either for the OS or the kernel. We custom compile and bundle several drivers that are tied to specific features or in moOde or to specific hardware. These get wiped out or reverted when bumping the kernel. There are also several package version dependencies that can break depending on what the OS full-upgrade does.

Might be worth adding some relevant

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>

to the build script to prevent "accidental" updating.

Phil

(12-06-2020, 04:37 PM)philrandal Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 01:18 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Not a recommended practice for moOde either for the OS or the kernel. We custom compile and bundle several drivers that are tied to specific features or in moOde or to specific hardware. These get wiped out or reverted when bumping the kernel. There are also several package version dependencies that can break depending on what the OS full-upgrade does.

Might be worth adding some relevant

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>

to the build script to prevent "accidental" updating.

Phil

That's a commendable thought but---oh my---what a lot of extra work to generate the list of protected packages and keep it current as moOde evolves. Lazy sod that I am, I'd settle for an explicit admonition not to full-upgrade and to avoid upgrading unless told to. Smile 

Regards,
Kent