Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Using moode to upgrade old SONOS speakers ?
Hi,
since the last years, I am angry and p... about the software policy from SONOS. While in days of ramp-up from SONOS, it was possible to write your own steering code . nowadays SONOS has locked their/my devices. In addition SONOS is asking multiple datas from the speakers - like temperature - or connect to their own ntp server without asking me  nor that it is possible to block this.
A tricky setup  - e.g. to use them on a "outer" guest network is not possible as I am using my own music sources ( and not spotify or roon or other network stations ) 
So since a while I think , it would be great to use the well playing Sonos speakers including their integrated amps, but feed them through moode on a RPi. Maybe it is even possible to use the speakers power for the RPi. 
Now, to make a long story short: has anybody tried such a use-case already ?
what kind of input do you have to "your" Sonos speakers?
Raspberry Pi3B+ --> HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO --> Cyrus | Pre - Pre Amplifier --> D. Klimo | Kent monoblocks --> Piega | Piega LDR 8.2
Raspberry Pi3B+ --> HiFiBerry AMP2 --> Visaton FRS 8 30W 4Ω
(12-08-2020, 05:40 PM)vikozo Wrote: what kind of input do you have to "your" Sonos speakers?

They only have WIFI and WLAN - no other opportunity . You could see a teardown on  YT Teardown Sonos . The guy had announced a 2nd part with an USB connection, but never posted it. I see two possibilities: Either using the Sonos as an active speaker ( so reuse the power supply, the amp and speaker - but cut the microcontroller; instead drill some Cinch into the box) or as a even better solution: use it complete with a RPi instead of Sonos microcontroller - this is more difficult as you will need more space in the speaker to integrate a RPi and a kind of audio-feed in the speakers box. (Also it will bring the difficulty how to do a major upgrade, when you need to pull the SD Card)

So maybe somebody has already tried it ( with may be the third option: No way ) - I don't need to re-develop the wheel Big Grin