Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Airplay with Fixed Volume
Hello All!

Thanks in advance for any help, I've been doing some googling and haven't had any luck.

My setup:
Raspberry Pi 4 - Running latest version of moOde
Yamaha RX-V377 AV Reciever
Pi and AVR are connected via HDMI

My use-case:
The AVR is connected to a HDTV and is typically used when we are watching TV.  Typically we use an AppleTV, but it is connected straight to the HDTV as the AVR doesn't support 4K and/or HDR.  ARC then brings the audio down to our AVR (it's a 2.1 setup, so LPCM is perfect).

There are times where the wife and I would like to have the TV turned off and listen to music.  I set up moOde on a Pi so that we could have an Airplay client connected directly into the AVR, allowing us to turn off the TV.  Woohoo, problem solved and with stuff we already have!

My question:
Whenever we connect to the Airplay client on the moOde, it defaults to a low volume.  So typically I open up Plexamp, connect to Moode Airplay, hit play, and lock my phone.  Then when I can't hear anything, I need to open my phone, turn up the volume on the iPhone, and then adjust the AVR.

I had assumed that setting the MPD Volume Mixer to Fixed would resolve this problem, but so far no luck.  I see that there are some config options in /etc/shairport-sync.conf, but fiddling with those options didn't cause any change.

Any tips on configuring moOde to support a fixed Airplay volume, delegating volume control to the AVR?

Side Question - How does moOde run on a Pi Zero W?  I would love to reduce the footprint Smile

Thanks!!
MPD is a separate playback app from Airplay and the other audio renderers in moOde. It's options have no effect on the other renderers.

Your config has multiple volume controls in the audio chain including your phone, Plex, moOde and AVR.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-26-2021, 02:12 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: MPD is a separate playback app from Airplay and the other audio renderers in moOde. It's options have no effect on the other renderers.

Your config has multiple volume controls in the audio chain including your phone, Plex, moOde and AVR.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!  I have some more digging to do to learn how audio systems work within Linux, something that I've taken for granted.  To the man pages and source code I go!
Have a look at /etc/shairport-sync.conf. The param below may be something to try.

Code:
//    ignore_volume_control = "no"; // set this to "yes" if you want the volume to be at 100% no matter what the source's volume control is set to.

If you are looking for smaller footprint the quad-core Pi-3A+ would be a great choice. It performs much better than the single core Zero's. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ras...el-a-plus/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-26-2021, 04:21 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Have a look at /etc/shairport-sync.conf. The param below may be something to try.

Code:
//    ignore_volume_control = "no"; // set this to "yes" if you want the volume to be at 100% no matter what the source's volume control is set to.

If you are looking for smaller footprint the quad-core Pi-3A+ would be a great choice. It performs much better than the single core Zero's. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ras...el-a-plus/

Yeah, I've played with that, but no luck ... yet.  It appears right now that shairport-sync logs are going to /var/log/syslog and not /var/log/shairport-sync.log.  So I have been able to confirm via the logs that ignore_volume_control is getting set, just looking to see if there are any other conditions that need to be met.

However, I am starting to STRONGLY think that it is just the nature of how the iPhone does AirPlay.  From what I can tell between the different parts at play within moOde, they are all set to 0dB .... so, starts to point towards the source device Big Grin

Thanks again for all the support!