Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Disable SMB and ssh Server
I assume that the Web Interface should be the primary user interface and only expert should use ssh / smbd ?!

In this case the user has no possibility to close the doors for SMB and ssh. There is an on/off switch for the web-terminal ssh, but no switch to disable ssh from the gui.
I think KODI has here a very good setup possibility to hardening the system: you could enable/disable the sshd/smbd from the gui and even disallow login with passwords ( so use ssh only with PKI) 

The smbd on moOde also present the attached music source. While I have my server connected only with NFS to the MoOde devices, the MoOde devices present the NFS share under SMB as a guest (no password required). To access the a music source from moOde, you would not need the smbd running. So there should be also an option to enable/disable the SMB Server on the MoOde HW.
It could be done but it would be better to start a Security thread or sub forum and have the first post/thread be a master list of requested enhancements. That way it might catch the eye of a dev that wants to volunteer their time to work on them.

Let me think about it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-09-2020, 02:16 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It could be done but it would be better to start a Security thread or sub forum and have the first post/thread be a master list of requested enhancements. That way it might catch the eye of a dev that wants to volunteer their time to work on them.

Let me think about it.

Hey Tim,
yes, that would be a great idea to have a sub forum or at least a Title Keyword where you could collect these requests. On the other side , there might be other feature requests that are also worth to collect. E.g. automatic checks and information on major updates ( not only minor by request ) . Maybe the forum software has some possibilities to better structure this.
Today I only see : Idea, Problem, Solved , Guide. Maybe the Idea tag need a split down into :

Idea - Audio Improvement ( incl. New HW, Filter, EQ, File Format
Idea - MoOde Maintainance (incl. Updates, Backup , Restore, Information, Notification )
Idea - Security (incl. Hardening, OS Issues, CVS, Known Bugs )
Idea - Usability  (incl. GUI, menu structure, Buttons )

This list is not complete as I just wrote down , what was coming out of my brain now. It could be a starting point, to decide if that would be a useful change.
Other topic could be to switch for these type of requests to github's posibilities like issues, Security and the wiki for more documentations and how-to ?
Those are great thoughts but adding levels of detail and categorization can become an administrative burden.
Enjoy the Music!
(12-09-2020, 06:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Those are great thoughts but adding levels of detail and categorization can become an administrative burden.

Welcome to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the Instrument for detailing and administering all activities within a company or organisation in the workplace... and its numerous offsprings aptly named by this standard: ISOxyz (where XYZ is a number).

Much needed rules for setting all activities, etc in the workplace but a nightmare to implement and keep updated. Hopefully MoOde forum will not turn into a workplace  Angel
(12-10-2020, 06:33 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 06:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Those are great thoughts but adding levels of detail and categorization can become an administrative burden.

Welcome to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the Instrument for detailing and administering all activities within a company or organisation in the workplace... and its numerous offsprings aptly named by this standard: ISOxyz (where XYZ is a number).

Much needed rules for setting all activities, etc in the workplace but a nightmare to implement and keep updated. Hopefully MoOde forum will not turn into a workplace  Angel

ISO Standards are great to ensure a telephone call is reaching each corner of this world or to ensure that browsers could show the content of this forum. I don't think that you really need an ISO Standard for MoOde or even something more administrative. A forum is a great place to also capture new ideas to improve a piece of software or to generate guides and documentation for this software. I just think, there may be a time, where you need to switch from a forum to a more productive way of collecting and deciding "what's next".
I can just repeat: why not github ? The current moode project setup is a bit restricted. But with wiki and issues you would have the possibility to better structure without a big admin effort.
e.g. I also know a security forum for a hardware USB key. There you discuss first the issue and then the moderator ask you to open an issue ( if it one) . So as a forum admin you not vene have to enter the issue statements into github.
Saying that, I followed the development of MoOde now a couple of years and it always worked out that the one or the other feature made it into the new version. So I don't want to step into the way how the development team is working. I just shared my thoughts about a possible easy structure of the Title pre-fixes that _can_ be used, but nobody is forced to do so.
If that is no improvement for the development team , you better not change it.

PS: and at the end I just wanted some radio buttons in the gui to disable smbd and sshd Big Grin
(12-10-2020, 06:33 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

lol, the only reason moOde exists is that it's not work :-)
Enjoy the Music!