Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Local display function fails with HDMI in moOde 7.0.1
no problem, I reboot it if needed.
Do you think if I use a DSi screen like this one i will not get that problem?
I think DSI doesn't need Local UI ON, correct?
(01-21-2021, 08:00 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: Do you think if I use a DSi screen like this one i will not get that problem?
I think DSI doesn't need Local UI ON, correct?

1) It should work. I have an "official" RPi 7" touch display on one system. it's a DSI display and I've never had an incident with it like you first reported with an HDMI display.

2) Not so. The Local UI has to be enabled to see the moOde WebUI with either local display technology. The screen buffers get redirected to the DSI interface by the modules and driver loaded for it. With Local UI disabled, what you'll see displayed is the console terminal output.

I've now hooked up a 3.5" HDMI LCD display to my test system. I don't use the touchscreen feature on it so the driver for that isn't loaded. Having a physical display attached didn't affect the tests I did a while back but I can repeat my test now to see if I get any funniness with this new version of the chromium-browser package.

Regards,
Kent
Hello Kent,

Just to inform you that despite I replaced the chromium browser installed with Moode 7.01 with the last version as you proposed. I am still facing memory issues (please find the enclosed screenshot I did). I expanded my SD card as it seemed to improve a bit the situation, but with not a clear good result. For your information, I am using an AMOLED 5.5" Display from Waveshare (1920x1080 resolution): I guess that most of the problem comes from it, but I have no clue to demonstrate that.

Thank you in advance in case you would have a piece of advice for me to work out my concern.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-11-2021, 06:16 PM)pkdick Wrote: Hello Kent,

Just to inform you that despite I replaced the chromium browser installed with Moode 7.01 with the last version as you proposed. I am still facing memory issues (please find the enclosed screenshot I did). I expanded my SD card as it seemed to improve a bit the situation, but with not a clear good result. For your information, I am using an AMOLED 5.5" Display from Waveshare (1920x1080 resolution): I guess that most of the problem comes from it, but I have no clue to demonstrate that.

Thank you in advance in case you would have a piece of advice for me to work out my concern.

With my 3.5" LCD HDMI HAT and the updated chromium browser, I didn't see any chromium process get out of control in moOde 7.0.1 even after hours of testing. I'll repeat my test with the upcoming moOde 7.1.0.

Your high-resolution display has about 4x the number pixels, so more memory will be used in frame buffering, but I have a hard time believing that alone is your issue.

Sorry, there's not nearly enough information here for me to guess what to do next. Candidly, I don't know what would be the perfect clue, either.

Regards,
Kent
Hello Kent,

Thank you anyway for your support! You are always trying to help us which I very appreciate.

Using the "/opt/vc/bin/vcdbg reloc stats" or "vcgencmd get_mem reloc" commands, I could see that my display seems to use 56M of memory which should not be a problem for my USBBridge Sig...
From a general point of view Moode does nots appear to me very stable: I am using a Shanti unit to power my USBBridge Sig and my Katana, so I assume that there is no power concerns to consider. I am connected to my NAS using ethernet: it happens that after power on I get MPD "errors" claiming that the file I want to read is not accessible, but when I ask to read it, it works.... Sometimes my NAS "disappears" while it seems to be connected (in the configuration of Moode): when I update my library, the NAS usually appears again (but I lost the current database and I have to regenerate it) --> maybe some issues coming from my internal network? but I do not lnow how to debug that.

I installed the splashscreen proposed in the guide section and it works flawlessly: the only regret that I have is that the splashscreen does not stay the whole boot process, it stops (blank screen) before chromium initialisation which takes always some seconds.

When I run dmesg, I rarely see "errors" so I assume that my system is OK, my display needs a specific configuration to be recognized and is only able to display 1920x1080 pixels which is a bit too much I think.

Best regards,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:I am connected to my NAS using ethernet: it happens that after power on I get MPD "errors" claiming that the file I want to read is not accessible, but when I ask to read it, it works.... Sometimes my NAS "disappears" while it seems to be connected (in the configuration of Moode): when I update my library, the NAS usually appears again (but I lost the current database and I have to regenerate it) --> maybe some issues coming from my internal network? but I do not lnow how to debug that.

This would suggest investigating your network/NAS/ and their power supplies...

Is your NAS on 24/7 for other network queries or does it start when MoOde boots ?
----------
bob
Hi Drone7

My network is always on. The only concern would be around the DHCP of my router that sometimes fails. I therefore set a fixed IP for Moode and when it starts I can always to connect either using HTTP or SSH.

Thank you for youe support!
Little update on this problem.
I bought a new screen 3.5 DSI, looks great and touchscreen works out of the box, not that I'm going ever use it on this small screen.
But, still same problem, after few minutes everything gets locked like with the HDMI.
Really disappointing, I really hope 7.1 will work.
It's really frustrating to listen to spotify and having to restart RPi every  20 minutes.
Root cause has not been identified although there is evidence that there is some sort of bug in chromium browser but it could very well be due to a combination of factors

The challenge is that the issue doesn't seem to occur on the Pi 7" Touch display which is the only display officially supported by moOde.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub