Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Local display function fails with HDMI in moOde 7.0.1
Quote:But, still same problem, after few minutes everything gets locked like with the HDMI

Failure within a few minutes is counter to both Tim's and my experiences. I've explained earlier in this thread every conjecture I've made and test I've done with an HDMI display and while I uncovered one issue it doesn't seem to match your experience. I've run out of things to suggest.

With the official Raspberry Pi 7" Touch Screen, which connects via DSI rather than HDMI, moOde and the local display just keeps on tickin'.

Regards,
Kent
There are newer versions of Chromium-browser in the RaspiOS pipeline. I'll be rerunning my previous tests to see if any of them resolve our issue.

Regards,
Kent
I was feeling bad, to be reminded all the time that only the 7" dsi screen was the only supported screen for Moode, but I can see that even the supported screen gives problem.
I'm feeling better now, I couldn't see my streaming box with a 7" screen on it.
No, wait. I responded *as if* this were another instance of the subject of this thread but it isn't. Now that I read the content of the Bitschieber post I see that it's a different problem often seen on all sorts of devices. Consult your favorite search engine.

Please don't conflate different issues. This thread is devoted to the out-of-memory issue.

Regards,
Kent
I encountered this issue on a fresh moode 7.1.0 install.
My hardware is a Pi 3B+ with official 7" DSI touchscreen and HiFi berry AMP2.
In addition to the sudden memory usage increase of chromium after some time I noticed the CPU usage to be significantly higher all the time compared to 6.7.1.
I'm seeing ~18% on 6.7.1 vs ~ 79% on 7.1.0 (just after booting and stays at this level for minutes).

Moreover I installed different browsers and updated chromium on 7.1.0 - didn't make a difference, at least considering the high CPU usage. With different browsers (Firefox, Vivaldi, Midori) the UI is very unresponsive right from the beginning and CPU load is even higher (ranging from 90% to well above 130%), so I didn't check about memory usage spiking.
As last test I updated the whole Raspi OS via apt update && apt upgrade to 10.9 - also didn't make a difference.

So has anybody else made progress investigating this?
For now I restored my backup of 6.7.1.
Alas no.
I just turn it off when I don't use it, or reboot it when I need it. You'll learn to leave with it  Smile 
Or sometimes I put Volumio on, to have the screen looking the way I want it.
(04-04-2021, 08:48 AM)pgzh1 Wrote: I encountered this issue on a fresh moode 7.1.0 install.
In addition to the sudden memory usage increase of chromium after some time I noticed the CPU usage to be significantly higher all the time compared to 6.7.1.
I'm seeing ~18% on 6.7.1 vs ~ 79% on 7.1.0 (just after booting and stays at this level for minutes).

Moreover I installed different browsers and updated chromium on 7.1.0 - didn't make a difference, at least considering the high CPU usage. With different browsers (Firefox, Vivaldi, Midori) the UI is very unresponsive right from the beginning and CPU load is even higher (ranging from 90% to well above 130%), so I didn't check about memory usage spiking.
As last test I updated the whole Raspi OS via apt update && apt upgrade to 10.9 - also didn't make a difference.

Quick test and below is what I see wrt CPU on my end. It's a 3B with no HAT and a 7" Pi Touch. I'm not seeing any unusual CPU utilization.

It's not obvious to me what might be happening on your end.

Idle

Code:
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 7% | TEMP: 46°C | RAM_USED: 34% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers  
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 4% | TEMP: 45°C | RAM_USED: 34% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers  
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 9% | TEMP: 45°C | RAM_USED: 34% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers  

Playing radio station

Code:
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 45% | TEMP: 48°C | RAM_USED: 34% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 49% | TEMP: 48°C | RAM_USED: 35% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers
CPU: 1.2 GHz | LOAD: 47% | TEMP: 49°C | RAM_USED: 34% | DISK_USED: 79% | DISK_FREE: 802M | FPM_POOL: 10 workers

The suspected issue in chromium-browser that apparently causes memory to leak over time or one of the threads to crash or some combo of bad things is something that the chromium project is responsible for investigating and fixing. I think this is the project site https://www.chromium.org/Home
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-04-2021, 08:48 AM)pgzh1 Wrote: I encountered this issue on a fresh moode 7.1.0 install.

Tim's already answered so I won't recite what I did to try (and fail) to repro the "significantly higher all the time" report using a fresh install of 7.1.0 on an RPi3B+ with the official DSI 7-in touch display. I'll leave it running all day to see if I can repro time-dependent behavior.

A problem with "me too" posts is that they almost always fail to include sufficient information to determine if they are manifesting the same issue or a different one. This thread is specifically addressing the issue of moOde becoming completely unresponsive because a chromium-renderer thread is hogging system memory. That is more than just seeing higher memory usage (how did you determine this, by the way?).

If you want to pursue the matter, then immediately after reboot run "moodeutl -l" from the command line. Post the output in a code box. As soon as you see the significantly higher memory usage run "top -b -n1 -1" from the command line and post the output in another code box. That gives us some meat to chew on.

Report also what operating conditions are necessary to repro, e.g., idle state or playing state or paused while playing state, etc.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for the information Tim and Kent.

I got my numbers via top over an ssh session.
When the UI was apparently frozen the memory usage of two chromium processes was reported to be just over 90%, compared to about 15% after booting.

The CPU usage numbers came also from top, and as far as I can tell CPU usage is displayed as percent relative to one core, so 400% would be full load on all 4 cores.
If your load figures are relative to the whole package, a factor of 4 would be needed to compare. My ~20% would correlate with your ~7% numbers in this case.
Nevertheless the CPU usage was almost 4 times higher with moode 7.1.0.

Sadly I did not save the output, so I'm sorry I cannot share it with you.

I'll try out moode 7.2 when it's ready and will post some meaningful data if the issue is still present.

Thanks for your support and work on moode!
Hi,

I guess I'm suffering from the same problem that my fresh installed moode 7.1.0 2021-03-15 system hangs after a period of idle time
On a certain time the mem usage of the chromium-browser rise to 75% and disk IO is increasing
No SSH is possible.
Code:
MEM | tot   924.8M | free   23.0M | cache  44.2M | buff    0.2M | slab   31.1M | shmem  35.3M | shrss   2.9M | vmbal   0.0M | hptot   0.0M | hpuse   0.0M |
SWP | tot     0.0M | free    0.0M |              |              |              |              |              |              | vmcom   2.0G | vmlim 462.4M |
PAG | scan 29581e3 | steal 2892e3 | stall      0 |              |              |              |              |              | swin       0 | swout      0 |
DSK |      mmcblk0 | busy    102% | read  161938 | write    432 | KiB/r     71 | KiB/w      5 | MBr/s   18.8 | MBw/s    0.0 | avq    20.87 | avio 3.70 ms |
Code:
PID    TID  MINFLT  MAJFLT   VSTEXT  VSLIBS   VDATA   VSTACK   VSIZE   RSIZE   PSIZE    VGROW   RGROW  SWAPSZ   RUID      EUID       MEM  CMD        1/20
1080      -  129963   25415   129.4M  35304K  812.3M     132K    1.1G  685.1M  680.6M       0K    236K      0K   pi        pi         74%  chromium-brows

But I don't have a HDMI Display. I'm using a 7" DSI attached Display on a PI3 with HifiBerry AMP2

I tried as suggested to remove the current version of the chromium-browser (84.0.4147.105-rpt3) and installed the ver. 88.0.4324.187-rpt1 but still the same.
Memory for chromium-browser grows and PI is not accessible for a longer period. Not over the WebUI, not over ssh.

What I saw was that after a longer period of time the WebUi says URL not found (that typically not found page from chromium) and after a reload the UI is again visible and accessible.

I tried to do a complete apt upgrade but also still the same behavior (installed chromium-browser 89... afaik)

Happy to provide more information or logs if this helps to sort this out.

cheers
ciro