Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Slow Download of new release
I normaly have a very good broadband connection with more than 100Mbit/sec. But every time I want to download the new Moode release, it is very slow ( means the outlook is more than 6 hours for the complete download and after a while the connection/download is broken.

I think you are using git-hub and so Amazon Webservices in the background. Has anybody simliar experience ? or maybe some tips , where to check a potential trouble maker.
I am using macOS Catalina with Safari or Firefox

[Not solved, but no problem on MoOde side of the house]
Not here, 6 hours for a few hundred MegaBytes? Something definitely wrong there and it's not likely to be your broadband connection if other domains aren't affected.
(01-08-2021, 03:20 PM)vinnn Wrote: Not here, 6 hours for a few hundred MegaBytes? Something definitely wrong there and it's not likely to be your broadband connection if other domains aren't affected.

So it looks like it is github or their backend: I downloaded a 95MB file from two diffrent sources: github and a popular magazin store. While the download from the magazin ended after few sec, the github download of the same file is still downloading.

I logged in on github, but only have a free account. Are there any mirrows for moOde downloads available ?
Some years back I used to distribute the ISO via Amazon CloudFront which provided regional mirrors but the monthly cost quickly became too high.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-08-2021, 04:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Some years back I used to distribute the ISO via Amazon CloudFront which provided regional mirrors but the monthly cost quickly became too high.

I understand. Sometimes universities provide a mirror for some stuff. I will check if I could find one. Here the download is still terrible slow (around 18kBit/sec - unbelievable )
(01-08-2021, 04:17 PM)UpsiUps Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 04:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Some years back I used to distribute the ISO via Amazon CloudFront which provided regional mirrors but the monthly cost quickly became too high.

I understand. Sometimes universities provide a mirror for some stuff. I will check if I could find one. Here the download is still terrible slow (around 18kBit/sec - unbelievable )

Just out of curiosity, where is 'here'? Have you done any packet tracing to see where the bottleneck might be occurring?

ISPs can have an effect. Until recently I was getting my Internet service through Verizon FiOS but I moved three miles and I'm now serviced by RCN. In both locations, I'm in Maryland just across the Potomac River from the biggest data warehousing and Internet nexus on the East coast of the USA. Still, my download speeds from certain servers is noticeable slower than it was with my previous ISP even though the raw SpeedTest numbers are better.

I haven't seen kB/sec numbers, though, since I stopped using dialup modems!

BTW, I just checked the GitHub status page and they report normal operations.

Regards,
Kent
(01-08-2021, 04:38 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 04:17 PM)UpsiUps Wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where is 'here'? Have you done any packet tracing to see where the bottleneck might be occurring?

ISPs can have an effect. Until recently I was getting my Internet service through Verizon FiOS but I moved three miles and I'm now serviced by RCN. In both locations, I'm in Maryland just across the Potomac River from the biggest data warehousing and Internet nexus on the East coast of the USA. Still, my download speeds from certain servers is noticeable slower than it was with my previous ISP even though the raw SpeedTest numbers are better.

I haven't seen kB/sec numbers, though, since I stopped using dialup modems!

BTW, I just checked the GitHub status page and they report normal operations.

Regards,
Kent

ok, the trouble is here in Germany: seems that the provider Telekom has some difficulties with Amazon S3 webservices. I have also seen very slow download with another update that is delivered through amazon S3. Maybe it is part of th erouting inside Telekom. Will try to reset my route through new dialin
The moOde image is served from GitHub not from Amazon S3.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-08-2021, 10:21 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The moOde image is served from GitHub not from Amazon S3.
Smile  Yes, and github is using Amazon S3 ... Here is the link for my download

github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/111308189/73ddff80-4524-11eb-9da0-21fea237da14?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20210108%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210108T223237Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=4ea1f76d53fa0003fab500e95dc3b893e7ded7286a7ac950f546106254ec8a82&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=4170083&key_id=0&repo_id=111308189&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dmoode-r701-iso.zip&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream
ok, can't blame telekom any longer: traceroute is telling that the connection for s3.amazon.com has left country  Frankfurt-> Paris->London-> New York ... Also tracked down the delivery of a different program using s3.amazonaws.com - much faster .Anyhow - it is not MoOde and I will open a call to the IP provider to get that cleared.

Thanks for reading and support !